Question about plastic honey bottles

Default Question about plastic honey bottles

Did a search through the forum to see if this has been addressed, but no luck, and wasn't sure which area of the forum to post this question, so here goes. This year was our first to harvest honey, and I've been using glass mason jars. Nothing wrong with that but I'd like to switch to plastic for next season - seems to me it would be easier and much less messy to squeeze the honey out instead of dipping. As a general rule I always run my new, straight out of the case mason jars through the dishwasher ahead of bottling to insure they are sanitized and ready to fill. Those of you who use plastics - what do you do? Are they dishwasher safe or are they already sanitized? Will check your answers later when I'm back home. Thanks in advance!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Question about plastic honey bottles

I use them right out of the case.........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I don't use plastic anymore but when I did, I just bottled without sanitizing. I recall there being something on the site I ordered from or maybe in the shipping case that confirmed that.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

If you are going for sales, other threads have suggested that there is a strong preference for honey in mason jars. The plastic squeeze bottles don't elicite that "down home on the farm" emotion you need when justifying 10-12 $/lb for the honey.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    If you are going for sales, other threads have suggested that there is a strong preference for honey in mason jars. The plastic squeeze bottles don't elicite that "down home on the farm" emotion you need when justifying 10-12 $/lb for the honey.
    Ditto
    I second this, as a consumer since we have not sold any honey. My family always reach for the mason jars over nice squeeze bottles. They 'seem' more home grown and less processed.

Quote Originally Posted by JWPalmer View Post
    I've found that my best sellers from my garage honey stand (mostly neighbors) are 1 lb squeeze bottles and 2 lb jars. Mason jars not so much, same with honey bears. I don't wash the plastic, that would take forever and I think is unnecessary.

Ok then! I'd wondered if they were already sanitized. I do like the homey appeal of mason/canning jars, and the consumer can reuse them however they want. Now that I'm thinking more about it, the canning jars are easy to fill, and I can just see myself making a bigger mess on bottling day with the smaller mouthed squeeze bottles! Thanks everyone for your input!

we sell quarts for $20 and 1 lb. squeeze bottles for $10. Customer preference is evenly split as we sell about an equal number of both.

The no mess dispensing of the no drip valve in the squeeze bottle is hard to beat. We encourage new customers to buy a quart and a squeeze bottle and keep the squeeze bottle refilled with the quart.

i hand wash the squeeze bottles and the lids, and no they are not dishwasher safe.
    'no wise man has the power to reason away what a fool believes' - the doobies

We have glass 1 lb jars and plastic 1 lb squeeze jars at the farmers market we sell at. The plastic sells faster than the glass.
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

Thanks for posting the question!
    And thank you for all of the answers!!
    I was looking around for answers to same question and was surprised when watching all of the "YouTube" videos and no one addressed bottle cleanliness...
    I know that when we can jams and jellies we sterilize the jars...
    SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
    (Often Tested, Always Faithful, Brothers Forever)

Straight out of case for both glass and plastic. Plastic bottles will deform in a hot dishwasher.

I sell about 70 gallons a year. Most costumers prefer plastic for ease of use and bottle durability. These are families with kids in urban city area. Jars are difficult to dispense out of and messy.

See I enjoy the ease of use of the plastics, from a consumer's POV, yet with canning jars I know I can run them through the dishwasher to sanitize them prior to bottling. I always use brand new jars for honey that will be given away or offered for sale. For personal use it doesn't matter, I can rewash and reuse. Decisions, decisions...lol

If using mason jars make sure you price accordingly, I have read threads where people were surprised to learn they had been undercharging for their honey.

I wash all jars--plastic and glass (not mason). Glass in the dishwasher, plastic by hand with a distilled water rinse to avoid water drops. I am getting rid of the plastic--no acidic foods should be stored in plastic as the chemicals are leached out of the plastic. I keep one bottle of plastic for my husband (he likes the easy squeeze bottles too) and transfer honey into it as needed but if long term storage is needed, it's in glass.

food safe plastic is a myth. All plastic sheds particles.. we are eating plastic in our foods and we are all getting cancer.
    Yes wash the containers, it helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by jooky View Post
    food safe plastic is a myth. All plastic sheds particles.. we are eating plastic in our foods and we are all getting cancer.
    Wow, that just made my day..
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I made the mistake of filling cases of plastic squeezables. They crystallized & liquefying that many at a very low temp forever is a pain. I have probably 10-12 cases of plastic that I would sell. Now all glass. Crystallized plastic will end up in tops of hives for bees to rob out.
    Rmns 1:16/Prv.3:5,6/ Beegan BK May 09/ Zone 5b
    I have NOT failed. I have only found many many ways that do not work!

Some states require you to sanitize all honey containers - new plastic included - before use if you are looking to sell the honey. The common method here abouts is having the jars in a bleach solution and then air drying. Honey is not considered a hazardous food, but it is considered food.

I have no clue as to any regulations your state may have.

(NEVER EVER, let your mother-in-law microwave a plastic honey container! 15 years later, she is still griping.)

The plastic bottles melt at temperatures below boiling. Put a bunch in a commercial sink with very hot water (think it was near 200F) and they came out in various contortions - interesting but not really a sale point.

I would suggest calling the seller if you do not plan to wash them (that is if your state will even let you skip it - like Andrew said). Unless the manufacturer processed them specifically to be read to fill - they need cleaning.
    Bottles I got from Mann Lake all needed to be cleaned.