Ad Blocker - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ad Blocker

Default Re: Ad Blocker

also didn't notice anything different with the change of hands.

running mac os 10 sierra.

went ahead and downloaded adblock plus (safari extension) though, nice!

michael, it's an easy fix, please don't bug out, beesource wouldn't be the same.
    journaling the growth of a (mite) treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I use pi-hole which uses DNS to block ads and other "stuff" for my entire network.
    so, from my mail servers to browsers, all devices go through the pi-hole.

it not only blocks ads but can (and for me does) block malware sites and others as well.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

pi-hole works good. I'm not crazy about letting them handle DHCP requests though....I'm pretty fussy about that. Probably because for smaller networks I'm still a "static" guy.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Do you also see a lot of underlined links in the text? If so you've been infested with Adware. You'll have to google how to remove it. I spent a day on the task once...

https://malwaretips.com/blogs/green-...d-ads-removal/
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I had no problem with the banner and the ads along the right side of each page. None. It's the pop ups and hijacking my computer, opening a new page. This never started until the new owners took over.
    one note for people using add blocker plus and chrome,

37,000 Chrome users downloaded a fake Adblock Plus extension
    https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/3...035400148.html

the article is useless, even if you knew when you loaded it, they give no dates and the extensions can be updated without you knowing it. I went in and deleted it and reloaded it as I was having similar problems with multiple tabs jumping up and scrolling not working. we will see if this fixes them. I had narrowed it down to chrome and google so far.
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

I have had no issues, nothing has changed. No ads to the right, no banners.
    But also use adblocker plus for years now
    Zone 6b: 27 hives in Maryland, Carniolan, Italian mix mutts: Still learning - started bees spring of 2014.

While I am not seeing a lot of difference on beesource, it seems like a lot of other sites load so much ( unwanted active content that it freezes my computer - ( an _old_ netbook with a failed hard drive running Puppy-Linux from a usb stick ) I will look into adblocker plus ( is it available for Firefox as installed on my Linux machine? <by geek standards, I am not very skilled that way > )
    In another thread "pi hole" was mentioned. apparently I can run it on my computer ( even Linux ! ) and/or use it as a DNS server on my home router to block the adververtising from my home network. I have a _lot_ to learn about this program before I dive in, tho'.
    A "pi hole app/apk" for android "(is no longer available from google-play)" but is downloadable from ( github, I think) . When I started to install it, it informed me that the apk could also control my flashlight, take pictures & video's, so I canceled out.
    Does anyone have more inormation about this they could share?
    As others have mentioned advertising provides the revenue to pay the expenses and make this site available for "free", so an adblocker with some user control ( "allow static ads", or "allow ads from beesource") would be a very desireable feature.
    As the users change, the services, and/or business models will change also.
    Thanks for reading. CE
    Last edited by tech.35058; 12-24-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: correct typo's, etc
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Never knew BS was infested with ads, been using AB+, No Script and a replacement hosts file for years. The hosts file is something not a great many folks know about, google "hosts file" and download the latest, stops known vermin marketing at the root.

never knew there was a pi hole app... i run it on a raspberry pi... anyway, hosts-file.net is one of many sources for ad and malware entries. so instead of modifying your host file on each PC every day/week/month/whatever, the pi-hole does it for you and for all devices that point to it for DNS. my mail server points to it and it's dropped the junk mail count from thousands a day to just a few.

the guy who wrote pi-hole has something against microsoft so i had to white-list a few entries so my son's xbox could talk to MS. which was very easy to find and white-list.
    Started April Fools Day 2017

Tech35 Adblock plus allows you to make whitelists and it also has a feature that lets you allow non intrusive ads such as banners and ads that don't interfere with the content such as side bar ads. You can also make your own filters to whitelist/blacklist specific sites, block specific objects (ads) etc. The new firefox also has anti pop up and ad block features built into the browser. I run a script blocker as well as forced https when available.

Im intrigued though that some are only seeing 20 or so ads blocked. My adblock consistently shows 70+ ads blocked, 30 - 60 scripts blocked, always 10 https violations and a few attempted redirects now and again. I whitelisted youtube a while back and I was shocked at the difference, it was hard to believe it was the same site

I think everyone knows that is how most sites generate their revenue however it seems most sites that run ads bombard you with them. And Im not opposed to seeing ads such as watching one on youtube so the content creator gets paid, or the site gets paid, thats fine. Blocking ads makes my internet experience much better.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Michael I think you have been infested with a browser hijacker, which is a kind of virus, happened to me once.

Use the browser, some sites more than others, it throws ads at you that just multiply, it generates income for the person who installed it every time you click on one of the ads or malicious pages, which you can do just trying to close them.

For me, in a few clicks the computer would become so flooded with junk ads and sites that the computer was unusable for the net at least. The antivirus I had at the time did not help, I had to get a professional to clean the computer for me.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

"What seems weird to me is that I don't see anything different. Ads on the right. A banner at the top. Same as always. No ad blocker here. I'm running Chrome with Windows 10. I'm just not seeing it"..

Neither am I..no ad blocker and never any popups. Check your computer setting MP. What are your running?
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Another reason to use an adblocker of some type (I use adblocker plus) is the malware that seems to routinely come along with VerticalScope. As soon as I read that Bary sold Beesource to VerticalScope, I was bummed out. I've seen what VS has done to so many decent forums over the years, as I've already mentioned here in another thread.

Do a Google search for "verticalscope, malware" to see what we are all in for, eventually.

Jun 15, 2016
    45 Million Potentially Impacted by VerticalScope Hack | SecurityWeek .......

Nov 3, 2017
    2nd Breach at Verticalscope Impacts Millions Krebs on Security...............

And even if they stop getting hacked and infecting your computers with viruses/malware in their ads, Google "verticalscope sucks" to see why every forum they take over suffers.
    8 years, 30 colonies, no chemical treatments

Quote Originally Posted by Riskybizz View Post
    "What seems weird to me is that I don't see anything different. Ads on the right. A banner at the top. Same as always. No ad blocker here. I'm running Chrome with Windows 10. I'm just not seeing it"..

Neither am I..no ad blocker and never any popups. Check your computer setting MP. What are your running?
    I'm running Chrome and Windows 7, and haven't experienced any real problems. After reading this thread I tried installing and running the Adblock program, and it actually slowed things down even more. Better without it for me.

Michael, might be time to have a professional clean up your computer. I'm not sure it's the website.
    To everything there is a season....

I run linux (xubuntu) and use Opera browser. It has built in adblocking. I think it is also available for other systems such as Windows and Mac. I can choose to allow or block ads by clicking a button in the address bar. I like that I don't have to configure or ad extensions to anything.

I just came back and didnt realize that Barry had sold BS. I did see that the site was run by verticalscope and did some homework... and asked a mod what had happened . My biggest issue with the site (even when Barry was running it) is that it uses http instead of https.

I have noticed though that since I've been back that activity here is way down. I don't have any beef with verticalscope and I had seen the "verticalscope sucks" pages on the net. Good stuff lol When they acquire reddit, thats when its time to worry . I do find it humorous that the "admin" account is used by multiple people and that the avatar is a bee. It implies that they are beekeepers

I cant find a list of all the forums they run. I would find such a list interesting.

edit: found it under "our verticals" on the main page, my scriptblocker wasnt allowing the dropdown http://www.verticalscope.com/
    Then you have to click on full list under each category. I couldnt find beesource under any subcategory and Im kind of disappointed it wasnt under "pets"
    Last edited by rwurster; 12-29-2017 at 07:07 AM.
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12