Selling Honey and Wax Crafts

Question Selling Honey and Wax Crafts

Hello! I have two questions:

1) Is it legal to sell raw honey without any kind of license/certificate?

My dad is a beekeeper who is not at the commercial level, but enjoys it just as a hobby. Still, he makes enough honey to sell it at times. Until now he has only sold it to family and friends. I recently moved back home for a while and want to "help." I want to look into helping him sell more of his honey to other people we don't know, but I am not sure if it's legal to just do that or if we need to do anything, like have the honey inspected or get some kind of food license. I am thinking of marketing it online to buyers in the state as well as outside of AZ.

2) Where can I find out more about what kind of crafts and where I can sell crafts made from the beeswax?

A few years ago I had my own hobby making candles. I never moved to a place big enough for me to take the molds and continue making candles after I left home. My parents kept my molds though and they are in great shape. I used to use wax from candle shops though and not beeswax. I am sure some of the molds I have are not appropriate for beeswax and some of the approach to using beeswax is also different. I would also like to know more about what kind of crafts I could do with beeswax that don't involve candle making, and I would like to know what kind of crafts made from beeswax that I might make at home actually sell.

Thanks!
    jHoney

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Selling Honey and Wax Crafts

Depends on your county tax laws, State laws and of coarse you need a business license/tax license. Many states have different requirements for selling "HONEY". Wax products I would think isn't classified as a food product, so nothing really to govern that other then a commodity tax rate for sales.
    IRS of coarse for reporting income " see your local book keeper and set up an appointment. "

Default Re: Selling Honey and Wax Crafts

We are in Arizona. So, to sell to the public, no matter how little, we need a business license/tax license? Where would I find my county tax laws and Arizona requirements for selling honey? I started with some google searches regarding what we would need to sell honey legally in Arizona before finding this forum and could not find anything. I was likely not using the correct search terms. Thank you so much for your answer!
    Give me a bzzzz