Suit protection

Thread: Suit protection

I have a Mann Lake Provent suit. I usually wear jeans and either a long sleeve or sweatshirt under it. Goatskin gloves. I was at my bosses house yesterday and there's a wasp nest in an out building we have to use daily. If I go to "remove" them, what's the chances they will get through my suit/clothing? The nest is about the size of a notebook. I haven't got drilled my anything yet while wearing that suit.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Suit protection

Why don't you just get a can of Wasp Spray, stand back 20 feet from the nest, and douse them. No suit needed.

If you do try to remove them live, you will get stung, even wearing the suit. Suits are sting resistant, not sting proof.
    Mark Berninghausen

I agree

Wasps are good for exactly one thing.Target Practice with Wasp Spray

Yellow jackets?

Wasps can be very aggressive, unlike honey bees they don't necessary go for your head, you are just as likely to get stung on your jeans, legs and feet. They also like to burrow in to folds of cloths, they will work their way into clothing seams, and even stay there.

That said a few years ago I dispatched a very large yellow jacket nest, with four five gallon buckets of very foamy soapy water (dish soap). The suit offered protection just long enough to cover the nest with soapy foam and get out to refill. I did take one sting and had a few others try to burrow in my suit.

For small nests I use a spray bottle of soapy water, wide spray, anything covered with soapy water will die in a few minutes.

The nest is between a sheet of plexiglass and a plywood board. You have to slide the glass down before you can open the outside board. The plan was to wear the suit, if I can't get in through a crack, open glass spray the heck out of the nest and wasps with my spray. Not wasp spray but works better I think.

50 years ago I worked at a service station (gas station) and in the early spring hornets & yellow jackets would sit in the sun on the outside walls. We found that gasoline through a small spray bottle would kill them almost instantly. The fire marshal didn't like us spraying gas around so we switched to solvent, and that worked nearly as good.

Gasoline, in a pump sprayer, is still my preferred choice IF it's in a safe place to use.

I use Service Pro brand brake cleaner... Just takes a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by MTP55 View Post
    The nest is between a sheet of plexiglass and a plywood board. You have to slide the glass down before you can open the outside board.
    Observation hive gone wrong?
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Ugh...if it's their tetrachloroethylene based "non-flammable" brake cleaner, be careful with that stuff...very very very bad for you (probable carcinogen, increased parkinsons risk, neurological risk...etc).

No just a hunting shack that they decided to house themselves in.

I'm careful. Don't plan on trying to make myself high or whatever off it. People have to learn to apply things correctly or they get themselves into trouble. That would require some amount of common Sense though I'd suppose.

Using the right tool for the job is what I consider common sense.
    Mark Berninghausen

Correct. I was thinking in general seems to be a lack of that sometimes.