Varroa resistance through Africanization? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Varroa resistance through Africanization?

Well, now that I think about it, maybe that 10% number makes sense, but I would have to know what and how many hives they sampled. I interpreted that as 10% of hives they tested had African mDNA, but you said bees, so if they were just catching random bees or sampling random hives from an operation, or just a few operations it could come out that way if some of their queens were African descendent queen lines. I always interpreted that Africanized meant European stocks mated with African drones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I can pretty much tell you that you don't have Africanized bees. Mean bees and Africanized bees are 2 separate worlds apart. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos of requeening mean hives. I have also seen videos on a few bee keepers here in Texas that have had them and resolved the issue to change out the DNA Stock. I have kept Africanized bees. That said a few things about boasting that you got it is you probably should know it's not COOL to have them. I suppose you wanted to get a reaction by writing it.
    Mean bees are just bees unhappy come out and want you to stop messing around with them. Africanized bees come out with a 30 to 40% of the hive and want to kill you and anything in a 100ft radius. Mean bees sure some sting and perhaps get air bore more then you prefer. Africanized bees come out and it can be very loud and frightening with the numbers.
    2 traits Africanized bees VS Hot non Africanized bees. Mess around with your hive and then close it up. Non Africanized bees go back inside and calm and settle pretty quickly. Africanized bees don't go back inside. They want to kill you and pretty much anything that's breathing. It's hard to get them off you to go inside your house. Either a dark building such as a shop sitting for about 5 minutes then crack your shop and the bees will likely go out towards the light. Run your fastest to get in to your house. The other is get a water hose and shoot it up over you simulating rain.
    It's not worth it to keep hot tempered Africanized bees that want to kill in mass. It's not cool to say you have Africanized bees. When I had them pretty much it became a problem when the hive got populated and grew. I manage stock that is probably 40 to 70% estimated DNA that's Africanized. Just a guess at the reaction I get from the hives.

The videos that people post of AHB are usually the extremely defensive ones. Not all of them are defensive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    The videos that people post of AHB are usually the extremely defensive ones. Not all of them are defensive.
    Enough are that it is folly to attempt to keep them.
    South Texas Apiaries, LLC
    www.Facebook.com/SouthTexasApiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Where does a part-time beekeeper from Nebraska encounter AHB in order to make this blanket statement ? He has maintained vociferously for years, that despite all evidence, Dee Lusby's hives are not Africanized.

He has a coterie of acolytes in Long Beach, California that maintain AHB are only defensive because they were "mistreated as Larvae". (holy heck !)

Interesting post on Bee-L just today by a beekeeper who once endorsed many of the dubious claims that the Nebraska beekeeper makes.

That beekeeper writes, and for once, the Nebraska beekeeper should pay attention:

Doing beekeeping in areas that have Africanized Honey Bees (AHB) is
    challenging. In cities like Los Angeles California, one can run into situations of stunning ignorance, where people have placed
    and then abandoned a backyard hive next to a chicken coop or just over the
    fence from their next door neighbor's kiddie pool.

I won't describe to you how bees kill chickens; suffice it to say that dying of multiple bee stings
    is a terrible way for any animal to go. Small dogs are also simple for bees
    to get to when the homeowner's shangri-la is turned over to aggressive
    bees. And people call me, I've been doing this here for more than a few
    years.

In some of these situations hives have been placed in locations
    which require a ladder to access. In such cases it is not possible to take
    the hive apart into pieces and close off each piece to carry down the
    ladder. Also lowering down by rope is not an option where there is no
    possibility of mechanical advantage. It's a sad truth that many people
    getting into beekeeping do not realize that there are limits which need to
    be set in order to keep everyone safe. AHB's are dangerous and that's why
    anymore I avoid them literally "like the plague".

Of course re-queening is the preferred way. But the safety and life of
    people, chickens and dogs still wins out over the lives of aggressive bees.

Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    Where does a part-time beekeeper from Nebraska encounter AHB in order to make this blanket statement ? He has maintained vociferously for years, that despite all evidence, Dee Lusby's hives are not Africanized.

He has a coterie of acolytes in Long Beach, California that maintain AHB are only defensive because they were "mistreated as Larvae". (holy heck !)

Interesting post on Bee-L just today by a beekeeper who once endorsed many of the dubious claims that the Nebraska beekeeper makes.

That beekeeper writes, and for once, the Nebraska beekeeper should pay attention:

Doing beekeeping in areas that have Africanized Honey Bees (AHB) is
    challenging. In cities like Los Angeles California, one can run into situations of stunning ignorance, where people have placed
    and then abandoned a backyard hive next to a chicken coop or just over the
    fence from their next door neighbor's kiddie pool.

I won't describe to you how bees kill chickens; suffice it to say that dying of multiple bee stings
    is a terrible way for any animal to go. Small dogs are also simple for bees
    to get to when the homeowner's shangri-la is turned over to aggressive
    bees. And people call me, I've been doing this here for more than a few
    years.

In some of these situations hives have been placed in locations
    which require a ladder to access. In such cases it is not possible to take
    the hive apart into pieces and close off each piece to carry down the
    ladder. Also lowering down by rope is not an option where there is no
    possibility of mechanical advantage. It's a sad truth that many people
    getting into beekeeping do not realize that there are limits which need to
    be set in order to keep everyone safe. AHB's are dangerous and that's why
    anymore I avoid them literally "like the plague".

Of course re-queening is the preferred way. But the safety and life of
    people, chickens and dogs still wins out over the lives of aggressive bees.
    As a beekeeper in an area of high Africanization, I cannot agree more with this!!

Double post.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123