10 day brood????

Default 10 day brood????

We were talking to a local beekeeper. He claims that he divides a ten frame box into four sections with queen excluder in between and on top. He puts a queen in each section then stacks boxes on top. He claims that he gets three times as much honey with this setup, and he doesn't have to swap the brood out because with the extra heat, the brood only takes 10 days to hatch instead of 21. Does this sound even possible?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: 10 day brood????

no

In a month, tell him you did that and the results are amazing, and you have 8 mediums on mostly full of honey already, but that some of the wax wants to melt from the heat. Act serious too, and see what he says then.

I put a heater on that configuration to keep the temp at 120 and they hatch in four days. If I can find a microwave that will hold deeps, I bet I can get them to hatch in 4 minutes. I will keep you posted.

If your local beekeeper lives on Mercury where one day is 1408 hours...
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

oh?

Having done the queen castle experiment before, my bees don't like each others. They tend to
    balled on the weaker queen trying to take over the other side in a cramped hive situation. Even with our
    triple digit CA sun these days, there's no way to speed up my broods hatching rate. Nature takes time that we
    should all understand it!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Briarvalleyapiaries View Post
    We were talking to a local beekeeper. He claims that he divides a ten frame box into four sections with queen excluder in between and on top. He puts a queen in each section then stacks boxes on top. He claims that he gets three times as much honey with this setup, and he doesn't have to swap the brood out because with the extra heat, the brood only takes 10 days to hatch instead of 21. Does this sound even possible?
    Definitely possible. I once set fire to the hive and they all "hatched" in few minutes.

>divides a ten frame box into four sections

Sounds like a queen castle for raising queens.

>queen excluder in between and on top. He puts a queen in each section then stacks boxes on top.

Sounds like a two queen hive setup for producing more honey.

>with the extra heat, the brood only takes 10 days to hatch instead of 21.

The bees maintains the brood nest at 93 degrees year round when they are raising brood, they either heat or cool the hive to reach that temp.