I caught a pretty big swarm yesterday. should i have let them fly?

Default I caught a pretty big swarm yesterday. should i have let them fly?

A friend of mine told me about a swarm in front of his house. So I caught a pretty big swarm yesterday and I tossed them in a deep. We are close to the fall flow and the pollen has started. so is a swarm this late normal or is this one of those swarms that I should have left fly? I did find two hive beetles on the swarm box and I did capture the queen.

I plan to keep her in the queen trap for 48 hours before releasing her inside the box. Does that sound good?

________

Last edited by nicklatech; 09-06-2017 at 07:04 AM.
    I have a trailer park for bees. I think some fancy people call it an apiary.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: I caught a pretty big swarm yesterday. should i have let them fly?

I typically cage the queen for 3 days, then release her and put a queen excluder on the bottom board for about a week. You could skip the cage and just use the excluder also. I'm in Houston and some years I can feed all the way through Christmas. I put a candy board on too if they are underweight when it gets chilly, not too hard this far south to get a late swarm to spring.

Thanks for the great video!
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints.

I always give them a frame of open brood, it locks the swarm in every time.

Your location you should have no problem feeding them throughout winter to keep them going.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    I always give them a frame of open brood, it locks the swarm in every time.

Your location you should have no problem feeding them throughout winter to keep them going.
    good idea on the brood frame. I gave them a frame of honey to help them along. I'm going to release the queen in a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklatech View Post
    I plan to keep her in the queen trap for 48 hours before releasing her inside the box. Does that sound good?
    If they really do want to leave now, what will stop them from leaving in 2 days?
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by m0dem View Post
    If they really do want to leave now, what will stop them from leaving in 2 days?
    I'm just following the given advice and researched off beesource forum. I have no past experience on this topic so I would like feedback on my current plan.

So I cant answer that question.

Thanks for a great video! Never saw a swarm on the ground before, on limbs, side of buildings, once in my mailbox, but never on the ground. Slick idea using the LGO to trap them. Curious why you caged the queen, was that to keep them from "moving on?" I've put frames of brood and honey in when I hived them, but that was more to help them get going than to try to hold them in the new hive. Obviously I was exhibiting "luck vs skill,:

Thanks again,

Quote Originally Posted by exmar View Post
    Thanks for a great video! Never saw a swarm on the ground before, on limbs, side of buildings, once in my mailbox, but never on the ground. Slick idea using the LGO to trap them. Curious why you caged the queen, was that to keep them from "moving on?" I've put frames of brood and honey in when I hived them, but that was more to help them get going than to try to hold them in the new hive. Obviously I was exhibiting "luck vs skill,:

Thanks again,

LGO got them to the door, but the queen didn't enter it. So when I came back to get the box I found the swarm about 20 feet away on the ground. so I trapped the queen and put her in the box then everybody else moving into the box. This wasn't a planned catch I just happen to be able to put something together to catch the swarm.

Quote Originally Posted by nicklatech View Post
    I'm just following the given advice and researched off beesource forum. I have no past experience on this topic so I would like feedback on my current plan.

So I cant answer that question.
    If you have an old dark brood comb, let the queen out on it so she can lay right away and anchor the colony. (If the queen is mated.)
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by m0dem View Post
    If you have an old dark brood comb, let the queen out on it so she can lay right away and anchor the colony. (If the queen is mated.)
    I am not a fan of enclosing the queen in a swarm or the swarm itself for days. As mOdem said, whats to stop them Letting a swarm fly, no matter the date on the calendar, is not an option for me either. They can end up starting there colony in some not so ideal places.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

This late in the season I would just combine them with a weak hive.

Today I found some eggs and I got a good look at the queen. She has a damaged wing so that is why the swarm was on the ground all day. Will they replace her since her wing is broken?