Bees bridging frames

Default Bees bridging frames

Hi all, I have been consistently having issues with my frames being connected frame to frame with wax instead of the bees drawing out the foundation at the normally would. I have my frames more or less touching each other without much gap. Is this just a spacing issue?

Thanks for the help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bees bridging frames

Hard to answer your questions without more information.

What kind of foundation are you using? Full sheets, foundation starter strips, foundationless? Unless you have honey suppers with the frames spread out to have them draw thick frames of honey, they should be pushed tight together - not "more or less together". Leaving much more than a "bee space" will encourage them to draw some bur comb. While it isn't unusual for bees to draw out some bur comb, at this time of year, they aren't drawing much comb at all in my hives and I still have some nectar coming in. Your situation may be different.

I use Pierco plastic foundation in the hives. The frames are touching, but there is thick propolis on some, which is why I qualified it. My bees still seem to be drawing out the foundation pretty well, but I often have to tear down comb that they have built since it sticks out of the frames to connect them ( these connections are often the only thing on the frame). I normally try to alternate drawn comb and foundation, which seems to reduce the problem, but it isn't always possible for me.

I wouild feed the bees. This time of year the wax makers are doing their job and will stabilize the frames with brace comb..If you feed them they will fill the comb with feed for winter and it all works out...jmho..

==McBee7==

ps--this time of year I leave all brace comb and extra comb as it is prep for winter--the bees know what comes next

I might leave it, but wouldn't it get severely damaged each time I try to check it? I didn't take the picture, but it looks like the picture I attached (hopefully I did it correctly)

DSC_0134-001.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by McBee7 View Post
    I wouild feed the bees. This time of year the wax makers are doing their job and will stabilize the frames with brace comb..If you feed them they will fill the comb with feed for winter and it all works out...jmho..

==McBee7==

ps--this time of year I leave all brace comb and extra comb as it is prep for winter--the bees know what comes next

That looks different than what I was expecting for what I call bur comb. I have seen that from earlier types of plastic comb - name of it escapes me now, but had metal strips on the ends and plastic coated with wax for foundation - anyway, wasn't sure why they built that way -- kind of guessing that perhaps the plastic wasn't coated with bees wax.

It'll help a lot to add some extra wax to your foundation.

You can rub a warmed block against it, or melt some in a crockpot and brush it on. Several methods possible. There are a couple threads around describing methods.

I'd link a few, but not smart enough.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Extra wax at stated above will help a lot. A flow or feed and time of the year play a big part.

Place your frames one at a time between two frames of brood, this is probably the fastest way to get them to draw frames. It will also reduce the cross comb you're seeing.

It should peel off easily. That's what I do before it becomes an issue. As others have said, try coating your frames, but they will do this even on drawn frames so go figure. J