Half dose of MAQS ?

Default Half dose of MAQS ?

I performed a sugar roll Mite test last night and got a count of 18 on one of my four hives. I was wondering if I should install one Mite away quick strip or go with the full treatment and risk hurting and killing a lot of the bees?

From what I have read a person can install one strip and then install another strip 7 Days Later. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Half dose of MAQS ?

Follow one-strip dosing instructions on the product label.

That being said 18 mites/300 bees is significant - bordering on dangerous - mite load and I would want it dealt with ASAP, particularly if there any signs of viral diseases present now.

I have used both two-strip and one-strip dosing regimens, and never lost a queen nor had any troubling amount of brood loss. But that has always been in mid-summer when I could recover from either one easily.

Do you have a known source of mated queens, in case you lost one? If you do a two-stage treatment, that means your possible need for a mated might be even later in the season. (Though the one-strip dose is reputed to have less risk, there is still some risk each time you use it.) I think much of the risk connected with MAQS use is driven by temperatures in the first few days, which shouldn't be an issue by now in WI. My personal limit is 81F forecast high daytime temp for any of the first five days of MAQS.

No matter which way you go, be sure to plan on rolling again after the treatment to make sure you have achieved the mite infestation rate drop you expect. The one complaint I have with MAQS is that it has been somewhat uneven in its effectiveness for me. So I now verify, afterwards, that it has worked as expected.

Nancy

I hit them with the full dose. I'll see where they are at next week.

Gave a swarm in a 5 frame nuc a one strip hit.

Instructions state (21 day treatment):
    First strip +0 day. Second strip +14 day. So 14 days from the time of initial strip installation.

When I noticed a dose was a dose, either you treat with two strips or you treat with one followed by a second one 14 days later, I decided to just hit them with the full treatment.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron