Any One else still seeing drones?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any One else still seeing drones?

I went to 3 of my out yards today to weed eat and do a quick inspection of top box's.
    Every hive still has drones in them.

I have one hive that was a swarm the end of March that filled a 10 frame deep.
    They had 2 full deeps and 2 - 1/2 full suppers on after pulling 3 full suppers in early August.
    I opened it and started combining the drawn frames in to 1 supper.
    I found caped drone cells at the bottom of some frames so I thought I'm going to look further.
    I checked the top deep and it had capped drone cells/larvae covering 2 frames on ether side of the brood area.
    There were 10 frames of worker brood from egg - caped cells in the 2 deeps.
    And YES I saw the Queen.
    I though why not and pulled 4 frames and shook in some extra bee's and started a nuc on September 1st.

I will probably put this nuc in a new OV hive I am getting ready to build in the next week.
    Zone 6b 1400'

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Any One else still seeing drones?

I saw eggs in drone cells 2 weeks ago, and capped drone brood today in NY. I've seen drones on cleansing flights in January with snow on the ground.

drones all over the place all five hives

I observed a nuc dragging drones out this past weekend in New Haven, CT. It was one colony...I didn't see that occurring everywhere. I think that there are still enough drones around to do the job, but it's far from the high point...

i have a few drones hanging around my haves
    I have a trailer park for bees. I think some fancy people call it an apiary.

Some still breed drones here.

I've seen my hi es dragging them out, bug one hive has capped drone cells, and capped brood, that hive is full of bees, I mean full of bees, I'm not sure if I need to do anything with them.

I still have drones for my II project. They are big and fat on the pollen frames. Would hate to waste
    them without using any of them this late in the season.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

After watching the eviction taking place for about 3 weeks, we're seeing fewer drones every day now...

Seems like those that were kicked out of our other hives have been attempting to take up residence in the last one that we noticed still had some drone brood, a couple weeks ago....or perhaps, that's just the last hatching of this season? Those who make it will need to find their hiding places within the boxes pretty soon.

my girls are dragging out drone larva like crazy, my brood boxes are light, just started feeding 2:1 sugar syrup, I think they know their stores are low and they are kicking them out to preserve stores.

My nucs are dragging out drone pupae.

I still have capped drone brood in at least one hive and some uncapped cells as well. Drones are still being allowed back in the hives as of today.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

They've been thinning out pretty quickly in my hives. Finding a lot of dead ones that have been evicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    My nucs are dragging out drone pupae.
    Eyesight ain't what it used to be...

Saw what I feared was chalk brood at the entrance yesterday, but upon closer look it was a few undeveloped drones. 6 AM this morning same hive had about 100 live drones on the front just hanging out, apparently they spent the night there.. This is the last colony we have that had any drones still in the pupae stage a couple weeks ago. Other colonies had kicked them out at least 2 weeks earlier.

Northeast Missouri here and there are some drones in hives here.

I removed a frame of hatching drones today and gave a freshly hatched one to the neighbor girl for a 'pet' (she keeps coming over to watch when I am in the yard and asking to see the queen). Was waiting for her family to explode when she took him home as that's the same household where the lady says the Yellow Jackets in her soffit are my honeybees.

They are removing some of the drones, but there are still a lot left (even with me actively removing/decapping them myself).

Nashville area TN

Still have drone brood in a few colonies and many drones in every hive. I mated 3 queens that are now laying in Nucs 2 weeks ago and have a couple more that just hatched. They should be mated and laying by the 14th of September. A little late for this area, but circumstances dictated it.

Every area is different.

bb
    The beard distinguishes the grown man. When we describe such, we say, he is a bearded man - St. Augustine

Lots of DRONES... Made sone splits last week, hoping for a couple more weeks of them....Nite time temps ocasssionally in the thirtties here ,,,,Its going to be close

==McBee7==

thats funny, if that was me I would be sending a drone pet bee with her every day until the neighbors call the cops!!! Too funny I hope you are enjoying yourself, I know I would

LOL----yes....if the queen is bread she will come home with a dead drone hand-cuffed to her in the evening----LOL---BUT DONT CALL THE COPS ;/

==McBee7==

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast