Old Sol Bees A+
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Old Sol Bees A+

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Old Sol Bees A+

    TLDR: queen went missing, called old sol and bought a new queen, found queen on comb UNDER the hive. O well another split

    Old Sol was able to accommodate me and get a queen sent out here quickly. She arrived safely, sent via USPS. Package was marked to call me when it got to the post office, post office called at 8:30 this morning.

    Very happy at being able to get a queen on short notice. Not to happy about the pol-line queen hiding under the bottom board, weird one she is.

    Service was great, look forward to acquiring more drone mothers from them next year if this queen does well.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,861

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    How special are those queens?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    How special are those queens?
    Im not sure it is any more special than any other queen. I hear good things about them, low mite loads etc but wont know til next year.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Central CA.
    Posts
    943

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    I have gotten a lot of queens over the years from Old Sol, drove up to his place to pick up some breeder queens one year. John is a real good guy, never got a bad queen from them.

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lacomb, Oregon USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Jcase

    Which queen did you purchase?

    The Caucasian or the survivor queen?

    The only bees I've bought, so I'm curious how yours are doing.

    Scott

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottsbee View Post
    Jcase

    Which queen did you purchase?

    The Caucasian or the survivor queen?

    The only bees I've bought, so I'm curious how yours are doing.

    Scott
    survivor
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lacomb, Oregon USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Keep us posted on how she does.

    Went with the Caucasian, interesting traits. Will be neat to see the difference between my mutts and the Caucasian bees.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottsbee View Post
    Keep us posted on how she does.

    Went with the Caucasian, interesting traits. Will be neat to see the difference between my mutts and the Caucasian bees.
    I would like some as well, but I want to wait until WSU has more pure stock. Right now they are at 80%, meaning if you are buying OM daughters from one of their breeders, those hives are 40%.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lacomb, Oregon USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Not sure what OM stands for?

    WSU, I was under the impression that the Caucasian bees were bred here in Oregon at Old sol. Though they did start up there, Sue Coby brought the genetics from the Caucas mtns. At least that's what the Old sol site says.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottsbee View Post
    Not sure what OM stands for?

    WSU, I was under the impression that the Caucasian bees were bred here in Oregon at Old sol. Though they did start up there, Sue Coby brought the genetics from the Caucas mtns. At least that's what the Old sol site says.
    Their queens are bred in OR, but the breeders came from Sue @ WSU
    OM = open mated

    They used frozen germaplasm, and crossing with carnica to get the caucasians.
    F1 Caucasian X carnica = 50% caucasian
    F2 Cacuasian X (Caucasian X carnica) = 75% caucasian

    and so on.

    http://bees.wsu.edu/breeding-program/queens/
    2017 Caucasian breeder queens instrumentally inseminated. The 2017 Caucasian breeder queens will have greater than 80% genetic origin from Old World A. m. caucasica sources with the remaining genetic background sourced from US commercial Carniolan strains.
    For those wanting some new genetics, they are probably a great addition. I want some, but I'm waiting for the 2018 II queens from WSU, assuming they are back crossing them with stored germaplasm again.

    I do need to pick up a good number of NUCs next year, or perhaps packages, but if I go the NUC route ill go to old sol, and take whatever queens I can.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lacomb, Oregon USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Open mated, uh should of known!

    If that's the way it is then I'm kinda disappointed. Maybe I should ask for 60% of my money back since I only received 40% of what I paid for. Hmmmm.

    The Nuc was not what I was expecting and had a queen cage inside. Not planning on buying anymore Nucs, maybe some queens.

    Did Olympic apiary not have queens? Thinking of getting queens from them next year.

    Thank you for the info
    Scott

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottsbee View Post
    Open mated, uh should of known!

    If that's the way it is then I'm kinda disappointed. Maybe I should ask for 60% of my money back since I only received 40% of what I paid for. Hmmmm.

    The Nuc was not what I was expecting and had a queen cage inside. Not planning on buying anymore Nucs, maybe some queens.

    Did Olympic apiary not have queens? Thinking of getting queens from them next year.

    Thank you for the info
    Scott
    You certainly got what they are selling, I'm sure. You can't expect a II queen for $40-60 bucks. Nothing available in the US is "pure", they are all crosses to some extend. I'm sure you got a 80% caucasian queen, mated with whatever was flying that day. I wouldn't dare ask for any % back, that is just mad.

    Olympic Wilderness Apiary? They are good friends, they got me into bees. With the wet spring and the heavy smoke, they didn't have the best year. They are so picky about the queens they release, if they dont think they are mated just right then they dont sell them. I didn't want to take potential stock away from everyone that was waiting. Their queens are my favorite, I've used them for the foundation of my breeding stock. I wanted to bring in more queens from other lines to evaluate, to help diversify my own stock (since im doing instrumental insemination, and not OM, I wanted to ensure my genetics are as varied as I can get).

    You wouldn't be disappointed in OWA queens. They have somewhat of a reputation for being "hot" but that dates back to their F1 russian cross from many years ago. They are on par with the rest of my queens for gentleness, and are far from hot. I cull "hot" queens, as I have a 6yr old who works bees with me, I've not culled any OWA related queens. Culled a bunch of Italians for that reason this year.++
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lacomb, Oregon USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Totally a misunderstanding on my part. Just like you, we will see how they winter and build in the spring. Still learning about the genetics side of the beekeeping.

    joking about asking for the money back!

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottsbee View Post
    Totally a misunderstanding on my part. Just like you, we will see how they winter and build in the spring. Still learning about the genetics side of the beekeeping.

    joking about asking for the money back!
    ahh I missed the joke, it takes a bit for me to wake up.

    OWA queens winter very well in the PNW, I had them in 9 frame medium boxes, singles last winter, and it was one crazy winter here. O and one of those frames was a feeder frame I left in because I didn't have enough comb. 100% came out alive, and are all still sitting in my pasture.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    I've been thinking about getting some queens from Old Sol next season. Can anyone comment about how gentle bees from survivor queens are?
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Port Angeles, WA, USA
    Posts
    469

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Quote Originally Posted by e-spice View Post
    I've been thinking about getting some queens from Old Sol next season. Can anyone comment about how gentle bees from survivor queens are?
    Haven't had them all that long, but as of last inspection they should all be from that queen. Haven't noticed anything abnormally aggressive.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

  18. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Quote Originally Posted by jcase View Post
    Haven't had them all that long, but as of last inspection they should all be from that queen. Haven't noticed anything abnormally aggressive.
    Great - thanks for the info.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

  19. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lacomb, Oregon USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    E-spice
    Old Sol bees is the only hive I work without gloves. Still wear a veil though. Happy so far.

    Scott

  20. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Knoxville, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    642

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Quote Originally Posted by Scottsbee View Post
    E-spice
    Old Sol bees is the only hive I work without gloves. Still wear a veil though. Happy so far.

    Scott
    Good to hear. I appreciate the info.
    Beekeeping 6 Years - 12 production hives and about 12 nucs - Treatment OAV Only

  21. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lacomb, Oregon USA
    Posts
    93

    Default Re: Old Sol Bees A+

    Update: Bees made it through winter great and built up strong this spring and swarmed! Ugh!
    They requeened successfuly and managed to still make a bit of honey for me. Definitely like to propilis everything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •