Hive Id from a bees perspective

Default Hive Id from a bees perspective

I was wondering if I should paint a symbol on the front of my hives to give the bees more of a differentiate view in there orientation flight in an attempt to lower the amount of drift. Or should I paint the hive bodies different colors or what do you guys think?
    Last edited by SS Auck; 08-31-2017 at 02:26 PM. Reason: terrible spelling

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive Id from a bees perspective

yes and yes

Quote Originally Posted by SS Auck View Post
    I was wondering if I should paint a symbol on the front of my hives to give the bees more of a differentiate view in there orientation flight in an attempt to lower the amount of drift. or should I pain the hive bodies different colors or what do you guys think?
    I don't know about a different color but I believe they know the smell of their queen and hive specifically. Recently I did a combine completely removing hive 1 from its location and placing it into a preexisting hive 2 over. Lots of bees kept coming to the empty bottom that had been their hive. I then placed the empty bottom at the front of its new location and they would land and walk up and into the new location skipping the hive that was in the middle.

-Pete

I think having a "Sharks" hive and a "Jets" hive would be cool.

may get some sample paint from the home store and have the kids paint some crazy toddler language on the fronts of the hive to help out.

I have done the symbols and colors bit on nucs, and I could tell no difference in the amount of drift between nucs by workers or virgin queens. What I found to work best is having the entrances face different directions and allowing enough space between nucs. Placing in pairs and having enough landmarks around the bee yard works. I think colors and symbols will be a waste of time.
    42 + years - 24 colonies - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Interesting article in Sept 2017 ABJ: Why newly mated queens get lost.
    Sheds new light on what bees see! It all down to contours and shades of blue!

I paint all me hives a different color. Bees recognize colors and geometric designs. So if your hives are all the same color, put a different design on the front of each, or paint them different colors. They can also count so you can use the same design up to four times, i.e. 1 star, 2 stars, etc. I had no idea until I read some research on the subject.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

My hives are on benches that fit 4 colonies. I alternate entrances so that no two hives have their openings in the same direction.
    Last edited by ericweller; 09-01-2017 at 06:47 AM.

very interesting stuff. I have heard different directions work good. I have pretty long hive stands. I might go front back on them and might paint something on the front of each. if nothing else for peace of mind. my hives on the ends have a much higher population.