Sam's Club Honey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sam's Club Honey

Was in the local Sam's today and saw honey. 2.5 lb.s for $10.78, assumed it was imported or something. Looked closer and it was from the USA, Georgia in fact. $4.32 per lb.? If Sam's is getting that "little" for it, what did the Beek get after providing honey, container, stickers, etc.?

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/nature...lp:product:1:2

I'm not a producer, just take enough for our use and Christmas presents, but given the price increase in beekeeping supplies the last couple of years or so, was surprised.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Sam's Club Honey

Honey on the scale that Sam's is selling is usually "packed" by a packer that buys extracted honey from the beekeeper, often in barrels (truckload quantity), and then processes that honey into consumer sized packages (labeling, cartoning, etc). Those packages/labels are often private labeled specific to a customer like Sams or Costco or Western Family etc.

The price paid to the (USA) beekeeper for honey in that kind of quantity is somewhere around $2 per pound right now, based on comments in this thread:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...outlook/page66
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

i'm guessing its still Chinese honey no matter what the label says. thinned down with cheap corn sugar

Given that some estimates for 'adulterated' honey in the US remain at around 70%.....we advise consumers to buy honey directly from the farm, and if that's not possible then buy some that at least has the beekeepers name, address and phone # on it.

I have a good friend who is in the accounting department of a Sam's Club, she tells me all the time of items that are a national promotion and being sold well below what Sam's paid for them. Not saying for sure this is the case on honey. But loss leaders are quite common.

As a rule I do not worry what others get for their honey, only what I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Honey on the scale that Sam's is selling is usually "packed" by a packer that buys extracted honey from the beekeeper, often in barrels (truckload quantity), and then processes that honey into consumer sized packages (labeling, cartoning, etc). Those packages/labels are often private labeled specific to a customer like Sams or Costco or Western Family etc.

The price paid to the (USA) beekeeper for honey in that kind of quantity is somewhere around $2 per pound right now, based on comments in this thread:
    https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...outlook/page66
    Correct. It's a store brand produced by Sioux Bee Honey Cooperative, Sioux City, IA or one of their affiliates in FL or NC. I was just talking to a friend of mine from TX a couple days ago, who is a Coop member. That's how I know.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by jooky View Post
    i'm guessing its still Chinese honey no matter what the label says. thinned down with cheap corn sugar
    Don't believe everything you think. But if you do, you should buy a jar and take Sioux Bee to court. What you described is illegal, called adulteration. Sioux has too much on the line to do that. Companies have been put out of business for that.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Tenbears View Post
    I have a good friend who is in the accounting department of a Sam's Club, she tells me all the time of items that are a national promotion and being sold well below what Sam's paid for them. Not saying for sure this is the case on honey. But loss leaders are quite common.

As a rule I do not worry what others get for their honey, only what I get.
    Mark Berninghausen

Processed honey produced by large companies with automated equipment....filtered and heated for added shelf life and void of many nutrients with probably negative health benefits ...is cheap ....not much different than corn syrup....local raw honey with many nutrients that most folks are looking for is not cheap...big difference. Like comparing Johnson grass hay to alfalfa.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Don't believe everything you think. But if you do, you should buy a jar and take Sioux Bee to court. What you described is illegal, called adulteration. Sioux has too much on the line to do that. Companies have been put out of business for that.
    HAHa you believe that? try the whole isle of olive oil in ANY store in america.. its not from Olives .

also look at your containers of "cream" in the dairy section.. its not much cream.. mostly milk with thickener .

HAHa you believe that? try the whole isle of olive oil in ANY store in america.. its not from Olives .

also look at your containers of "cream" in the dairy section.. its not much cream.. mostly milk with thickener .
    I do look at labels. If I were you, I would look for a different brand, if not a different store chain to shop in.

Quote Originally Posted by oldforte View Post
    Processed honey produced by large companies with automated equipment....filtered and heated for added shelf life and void of many nutrients with probably negative health benefits ...is cheap ....not much different than corn syrup....local raw honey with many nutrients that most folks are looking for is not cheap...big difference. Like comparing Johnson grass hay to alfalfa.
    Fairly sure that's not a fair assessment. From a taste standpoint I'd put my honey up against any commercial stuff, but from a nutritional standpoint I think we have to recognize the minute amounts of trace elements/nutrients in any honey...even local "raw" honey. From a nutritional standpoint, given the typical serving size, honey isn't a lot different than corn syrup no matter where it comes from. I know this riles some people up, but unless you can show hard/fast data...it's just opinion. Honey is wonderful and it's flavor absolutely gets damaged by heating, but the nutritional argument just doesn't hold up.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3583289/

Bulk honey, even the one made in USA is "dirt cheap" compared to what some of us charge. Doesn't mean its adulterated. Anyone who suspects such a case are free to buy a bottle and sue the company.

One Treatment Free apiary from VT sells their raw, treatment free honey at $5 per pound, retail. Doesn't mean its adulterated in anyway. I am sure such apiary would be more than happy to supply private/no-label honey, packaged in jars at $3 or $4 per pound. Only thing really saving local beekepers (atleast where I am ) is shipping fees. But then Amazon buys wholefoods and wholefoods can sell real, raw, treatment free honey for $8 or even $6 a pound and still make nice profit.

Daisy, which apiary in VT are you referring to? I am paying twice that. Just a second year guy and don't have any of my own honey yet, so I have to buy it and I wont buy it unless its local. I sometimes flinch at the price, but then I remember how much work it is for me to maintain just 3 hives and I haven't even had the "pleasure" of harvesting yet. So, I crack open the wallet and pay it with no complaints. Same goes for maple syrup. Its expensive, but very labor intensive and the equipment costs are very high. J
    Last edited by Fivej; 08-31-2017 at 01:03 PM. Reason: added maple syrup

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    Daisy, which apiary in VT are you referring to? I am paying twice that. Just a second year guy and don't have any of my own honey yet, so I have to buy it and I wont buy it unless its local. I sometimes flinch at the price, but then I remember how much work it is for me to maintain just 3 hives and I haven't even had the "pleasure" of harvesting yet. So, I crack open the wallet and pay it with no complaints. Same goes for maple syrup. Its expensive, but very labor intensive and the equipment costs are very high. J
    PM sent.

Guess which honey has to pass tests for adulterants and purity, the small time producer selling at markets and out his back door or the commercial beekeeper selling in trailer load lots. Funny how people who know almost nothing about commercial food production try to act like they know the most. Currently bulk commercial white honey prices (after sampling and approval by the buyer) are just over $2.00 per lb. Extra light amber (ELA) probably in the $1.90 range. This is quality honey produced by honeybees and processed in stainless steel equipment that isn't one bit different than the smaller producer raises. The only difference is scale.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

What nutrients are lost from honey by processing?

The only thing I'm aware of is pollen. Over-filtering removes it. This is the part we think may give some allergy relief benefits.

But how much is actually present? I've tried to spot pollen in our honey. In the harvest from June I was able to spot a single grain of tulip poplar pollen (shaped like a coffee bean). You need a centrifuge to concentrate pollen enough to be likely to see pollen reliably.

Raw honey is delicious stuff, but let's not go nuts thinking it is some miraculous high-nutrition food. It is sugar syrup with traces of other things.

I trust the person I know and he trusts Sioux Bee. If you don't, that's no big deal. We all live in our own prisons.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    I do look at labels. If I were you, I would look for a different brand, if not a different store chain to shop in.
    Probably doesn't buy honey from Sam's Club anyway.
    Mark Berninghausen

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Guess which honey has to pass tests for adulterants and purity, the small time producer selling at markets and out his back door or the commercial beekeeper selling in trailer load lots. Funny how people who know almost nothing about commercial food production try to act like they know the most. Currently bulk commercial white honey prices (after sampling and approval by the buyer) are just over $2.00 per lb. Extra light amber (ELA) probably in the $1.90 range. This is quality honey produced by honeybees and processed in stainless steel equipment that isn't one bit different than the smaller producer raises. The only difference is scale.
    Mark Berninghausen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast