Updated Smartphone View on the Site (Feedback Thread)

Default Updated Smartphone View on the Site (Feedback Thread)

We're pleased to announce that we have launched a new smartphone view on the site, in addition to the recently added mobile view in the last upgrade. This version has been designed to have a cleaner look, to fit really nicely into mobile (iPhone, Android) browsers, and unlike most normal web based skins will also include features that are normally reserved for desktop or phone applications. We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on your desktop.

A few notes as I know many of you may have questions:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile apps. This is web-only.
    * This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones.
    * Please give us some time as we work through bugs. Give it a try, give us feedback in our mobile thread URL, and give it a chance. Every change needs time to get used to!

If you visit the site from your mobile phone, you'll get the new view automatically. You can log in, post, reply, upload photos, view your private messages and more. You can also use the legacy mobile view by choosing the top left menu and Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode.

The feedback thread for any bugs, etc, please post below.

**Please let us know the device, software version, and browser being used if reporting any issues.

Thanks!

-Philip

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Updated Smartphone View on the Site (Feedback Thread)

Phillip, it would be helpful if you were to post an image of what to expect.

When I go to Beesource on my Moto G4 Play, running Android 6.0.1 this is what I get ...

I get the impression that is not what you are talking about as I don't see a menu in the upper left.

(This message is posted from my desktop, but I was logged in to Beesource on my phone when capturing the screenshot.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Please try it now. It had not launched fully yet.
    -Philip

Seems to work better now ...

And for those who are fans of the "New Posts" button on the upper left of the desktop version, there is the equivalent on the aforementioned menu button in the upper left.
    Graham

Top left and top right are your menu buttons. If you exit the mobile view and want to get it back you need to clear your browser cache. If you have suggestions for making it work better for you let me know. I cant make anything happen in the immediate but I do report your comments to the developers. We do update the software on the regular.
    -Philip

I could do without seeing the first piece of the body of the post when scrolling through posts. It makes it seem more cluttered, especially when I've already read the post and I'm just reading through to see more recent responses.

It is possible to reverse the order of the posts - so that the most recent post is at the top, rather than the bottom of the messages. As I recall that is on the right-side button.

I haven't decided whether or not I like that reversal - I'd prefer to have it work like the desktop version, but ....
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by samF View Post
    I could do without seeing the first piece of the body of the post when scrolling through posts. It makes it seem more cluttered, especially when I've already read the post and I'm just reading through to see more recent responses.
    This is on the to look into list for the developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    It is possible to reverse the order of the posts - so that the most recent post is at the top, rather than the bottom of the messages. As I recall that is on the right-side button.

I haven't decided whether or not I like that reversal - I'd prefer to have it work like the desktop version, but ....
    Top right button, the one with three dots. It has the loading behavior option of "Oldest First" or "Newest First".
    -Philip

Most recent post for me is at the top.........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    We built this as we realize you all spend more time today on your phones on the forum than you did 2 years ago, and we want to get the mobile view to a place where you can do everything (and more!) that you can do on your desktop.

-Philip
    One issue that came to the forefront today is that the Mobile Enhanced View does not seem to allow one to view a Member Profile, and that also means that the "Location" (of the Member) is not viewable.

As many issues in beekeeping vary with 'location', in a future iteration of this app it would be nice to have Location or Profile included or accessible.
    Graham

One issue that came to the forefront today is that the Mobile Enhanced View does not seem to allow one to view a Member Profile, and that also means that the "Location" (of the Member) is not viewable.

As many issues in beekeeping vary with 'location', in a future iteration of this app it would be nice to have Location or Profile included or accessible.

I checked the enhanced view for looking at someone's profile and see this:

emvbeesource1.jpg

But when I exit out of this (going to the menu at the top left corner, and selecting "Exit Enhanced Mobile View", I go to the same user profile page and able to see their location:

beesourcefull2.jpg

EMV is meant to be very streamlined and simple, and details like this are normally view-able in the full desktop version. If this is something that a lot of users would like to have access to, we could look into that. Do a lot of people want this? If just a select few, the work around would be to use the full version to view these.

Thanks,
    Nate

I personally prefer the traditional desktop view even on my phone. But just from reading quite a few posts where the question is "Where are you?", its clear there are a lot of people reading and posting from phones, and using the 'phone' formatted view where Location is not served up.

Here is one from today: https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...illifera/page2

In my opinion, in the Enhanced Mobile View, Location would be more useful than "Topics Started".
    Graham

I personally prefer the traditional desktop view even on my phone.
    Ditto.......maybe it's something to do with age or you're just comfortable with it........
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the ProVap 110
    OA Vaporizer. The fastest vaporizer on the market!

I hate to be one of those people who disable all the automated features, then complain because nothing works, but I guess thats who I am. It offends me that google & verizon demand that I give at least one of them a copy of my personal contacts list.
    ( I recieved a tablet recently, running android 6 or 7. The stock web browser requested about 5 things, wanted to take videos, record sounds, access my files, & maybe it wanted my contact list too. I denied permission for all of it. Surprise, I tried to use the browser & "(access was denied)" I mention that just so you will understand what kind of paranoid nut case I really am.
    I opened the beesource forums recently on my smart phone, got the honeycomb graphic at the top of the page. niether menu in the top corners worked, seems like I found a link at the bottom of the page to another page that had a link, or option to "exit enhanced mode, or veiw full site", which I greatfully selected. I think I have 90 days before it dumps me back into "latest & greatest smartphone veiw". I was going to see if I could get back to the new page & verify my exact experience, but I dont know how on my phone.
    Like others, I usually look for the location of a forum member, & a join date, to get an idea where they are, weather/season wise, & how long they may have been keeping bees.
    I very much appreciate Beesource, access to the forum, & the input of almost all the members ( there is still one poster I have on the ignore list, but i usually veiw his posts anyway. ).
    now the stuff that you actually need to know, first I am nearly 64 years old, If some thing offends me too much, I leave it & go do something else.
    My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Nexus. it is model SCH-i515.
    Android version is 4.0.4, but of course it is rooted , and running CyanogenMod 9.1.0-toro
    the baseband version is i515.09V.FF02/i515.FG02

kernal version is
    3.0.36-cyanogenmod-geb0f696
    [email protected]#1;
    SMP PREEMPT Tue Aug28 21:22:39 PDT 2012
    There is a build number ( if you want it, ask ), but it is a longish string of letters & numbers
    On my phone, I have been using the dolphin "mini" browser, but not the latest one, maybe version 2.1.3 or some thing. ( hope to try the Mozilla "privacy/security browser", as soon as I figure out how to get it from somewhere other than "google-play-store")
    Again, I appreciate Beesource. Thank you for what you do. CE
    Last edited by tech.35058; 01-27-2018 at 01:54 AM.
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

The info of Location and Join Date on posts is called the "Post Bit", and it's something we are planning on adding to mobile view of the site. It's been classified as a "Wish List" item, so it's not getting priority attention, but it will be added

Kevin