Golden rod ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Golden rod ?

Big Grin Re: Golden rod ?

20170830_132515 - Copy (2).jpg20170830_132603 (2).jpg

Have been watching for honey bees on the Goldenrod in east central Wisconsin for the last couple weeks and didn't see any. Maybe the conditions are getting favorable now and the bees will start to work it.

Saw two on Goldenrod behind my office at lunch today.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Golden rod ?

We have them hitting Aster's in the AM and Goldenrod in the PM (my office is outside ). What is needed is HEAT in order for a flow.

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    What's my secret for eradicating knot weed: heavy farm equipment (Dixie cutter and backhoe) and gylphosate, year after year. I've been here for decades and started in getting rid of it my first year. Have almost eradicated purple loosestrife, too.
    Nancy
    ENJ I will provide the equipment if you will provide the but to sit on it. I have just over 700 acres that need a lot of eradication. when can you do it?

Is purple loosestrife not beneficial to honey bees?

Yes, purple loosestrife provides nectar to honeybees. But it also aggressively crowds out many native wetland plants creating monocultural stands which in the end unbalances things and destroys mixed habitat that other bees and native pollinators depend on for season-long nectar and pollen. It's a non-native species, and a very bad guest.

Every fall I put on my waders and grub it out by the roots, except in a limited area in an isolated wetland in a far corner of my farm. My bees are still finding it somewhere because I see its oily-green tint in my combs.

Nancy

I came to this site to see what people were saying about goldenrod and especially asters this season.

Everything seems to be blooming late this fall! The asters are barely out. I see a lot of plants with buds. Goldenrod is okay, not great. Even my peach tree, even tho it's first year producing, has green peaches not ripe yet.

And it being September 4th, I'm getting discouraged. We're supposed to be 84F tomorrow, but after that several days of rain, I believe as an aftermath of Harvey. My nuc that was started with a new Russian queen in early July has been growing nicely, but when I looked in today, there was hardly any nectar in there. I swapped a full frame of honey from another hive into there since it's winter bee-building time.

Just seems like everything is blooming late this year for some reason, and I'm also thinking first frost is going to be coming in 2 weeks.... I was thinking that either we didn't have a sustainably hot enough summer, or the plants are recovering from the terrible drought last summer.

P.S. Even my grapevines, which are usually smelling like grapes right now, are only green and just barely beginning to ripen. Weird. Gotta be last summer's drought is all I can surmise.

P.S.S. I haven't been around this site this summer - did people leave? Only 49 viewing this thread right now, it used to be like 200. Is beekeeping in a lull right now?
    Last edited by NewbeeInNH; 09-04-2017 at 03:44 PM.

Today is was the first day I noticed honey bees on goldenroad, this appears late to me also. what everyone else thinks?

have had the early version of GR for a couple of weeks here....The bees seem to have another source of necter for now....We have flirted with the 30s here a couple of times...maybe the bees will hit the later versions of GR in SEPT.....We sstill have drones and I made some queenless splits last week so hoping for some nice weather next week....

==McBee7==

Goldenrod is near peak, maybe even a little beyond. Asters have been steadily blooming for over a month, with at least another month (frost dependent) to go. Our bees seem to prefer asters in the morning and goldenrod at mid day.

We need heat for any of it to matter much. Had near 80 on Sunday, bees were happy with a little flow, 66 yesterday, bees were active on the GR...but nothing like Sunday. Cool weather predicted for next week, then 'maybe' a warm up???

Drones are about done around here, must have some really tuff/stubborn ones up in International Falls

Does goldenrod need much moisture to make nectar? We are getting dry here.

IMG_0266.jpg

Looks like goldenrod is booming here in the Charlotte NC area.

I am in Anderson SC and seen the frist goldenrod today.

Golden rod in thick here now in Reidville, SC. I put supers on just in case it's a good year.

Quote Originally Posted by deepster View Post
    Well we are in the 50s this week. I guess nothing will be happening for a while!!!
    I think this GR flow is too much of a touch and go, last year didn't happen because of drought this year is too cold....
    Quote Originally Posted by beenoob View Post
    I had the same concern last year here in MI. No bees were hitting the golden rod until end of season, it seems they like it towards the end of bloom or something, I am seeing the same thing this year. Im expecting in a week or two they will be all over them.
    I'm seeing the exact same observations in south central Indiana.

I am seeing the same thing here in Sothern CT. Honey bees have started working GR. MY question is, Is there enough time left in the season to make honey out of this?

I've seen bees working the Golden Rod since last week, but no nectar coming in. Haven't seen much nectar for 6 weeks. I should be similar to Newtown

So far nothing on GR. It's out there and blooming but not producing the nectar. Too cool or maybe too dry.
    Weather forecast looks promising. Better happen quick because pretty soon it's going to be too cold. Already had some nights with upper 40's.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Other insects are working my goldenrod, so it must be making nectar. I'm hoping that means the bees are in something better.

Mine too. But are they getting nectar or just eating the pollen?

My bees here in North Alabama are bringing in Goldenrod like crazy. Blooming good here and just about every bee is loaded down with it. Nice to see.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast