Angry bees usung OAV

Default Angry bees usung OAV

Decided to treat my hives using OAV. My mite counts were at the low threshhold so thought it would be a good day to treat my eight hives as the weather was cool and cloudy and I thought this would be good as most bees would be in the hives. I thought no need for a smoker since I would just block off the supers and vaporize and be done. Needless to say the bees got angry and I had to walk away and get the smoker. Though I had my suit on a couple did get me on the ankel and one got in my hood and got me on the lip. Lesons learned: Maybe a cool cloudy day not the best time to vaporize and always have the smoker ready.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Angry bees usung OAV

G'day Gene... I have developed mine own strategy for treating multiples of
    10 each day, until apiary is done.
    At dusk any day, including rainy if need bee, the screened entrance closure
    is put in place, the port at the rear of the uppermost super opened, and the
    vape probe inserted. Inclusive of the few minutes for the vapouriser to initially
    heat up I estimate around 20 minutes to complete the days task, at which
    time I would have a further 10 minutes to remove screens, pack up the gear,
    to then drive out before total pitch black darkness.

There is as yet no identified instance of VM in Australia, but it is coming.
    So, the process developed is based on;
    a.) known effectiveness of OAV over all other options
    b.) known science in the behavior of vapourised solids in air
    c.) toxicity to man
    d.) beehavorial characteristics of the Apis.* honeybee
    e.) efficencies of scale in apiary management
    f.) workplace health and safety

I am grieved your experience had you stung. It is my belief the process
    described above would value add to both man and bees day.

Cheers.

Bill

I did OAV on most of my hives last year at this time, and one of them resulted in the bees boiling out of the hive and not too happy about the deal. That only happened on just the first treatment in that hive, and all the other colonies didn't respond to it much. By late October or into November, I found that hive had robbing attempts at the door. When I looked, the colony was dwindled down too far and a opened supersedure cell was found with a what looked like an un mated virgin queen was in the small cluster of bees. I hadn't opened up the brood boxes most of the fall. No idea if the two are related there, but it is curious. All the rest of my 19 hives made it through winter, except for one that got knocked back too far on a cold 7 degree night as they were building up and on brood in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Pun View Post
    Decided to treat my hives using OAV. My mite counts were at the low threshhold so thought it would be a good day to treat my eight hives as the weather was cool and cloudy and I thought this would be good as most bees would be in the hives. I thought no need for a smoker since I would just block off the supers and vaporize and be done. Needless to say the bees got angry and I had to walk away and get the smoker. Though I had my suit on a couple did get me on the ankel and one got in my hood and got me on the lip. Lesons learned: Maybe a cool cloudy day not the best time to vaporize and always have the smoker ready.
    Lesson learned indeed. I just did OAV on 7 hives and no suite, just veil. Puff of smoke at the entrance, tool in, timer on, timer off, tool out. No stings.

I treat in the middle of the day... now using the JB700. Just finished the 2nd round. No veil, suit or stings. It doesn't seem to upset the bees at ll

i must be doing something wrong because i'd never oav or open a hive without a full suit. oav always turns a few into kamikazes
    Terrence

I have done a few hundred OAV treatments and I've never had a single incident of bees being upset or boiling out at me - not even once.

That's on my own hives, which are quite used to me messin' around with them, and on colonies which had never seen me before.

I've done it on hot days and cold days; in the middle of the day, at dawn and nearly dusk. Big hives where I needed a full teaspoon and for nucs and newly hived swarms and packages.

I always have the smoker lit, and in cool weather I use smoke on them to loosen the cluster ahead of the burn. I use a Varrox wand (and before that a VarroaCleaner), precise dose measuring (using ordinary Savogran wood bleach), and careful timing.

In most cases the bees are completely unfazed by OAV. I am surprised to hear it upsets the bees - that is not my experience at all.

Nancy

I've had a couple hives come at me. It's not the oav, it's the hot wand attacking the entrance that sets them off.