Pollen substitute? Yay or nay? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Pollen substitute? Yay or nay?

Each Spring, before the Willows/Maples begin blooming and the temps are finally warm enough for daily flying, we place a small tray of sub out at our feeding station.

Bees will greedily take it 'until' natural pollen is available, then ignore it. Spring is the only time of year we need to feed pollen because they have access to such a wide variety of natural pollen during Summer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I keep out year around in drain pipe dry. I feed some patty as I see need. And when I do just small pieces at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by m0dem View Post
    Really??? Seattle?
    Yes, in Seattle. While we are farther north than most of the nation, the ocean and Puget Sound really regulate the weather. We get very little snow but lots of rain. In this area the hazels produce pollen through most of the winter and there are a lot of them around. The alders start in late winter and early spring. A lot of days are above 50 degrees in the winter. The biggest issue is rain which keeps them home most of the time. There is no nectar available but there is pollen.

As Mr. Bush says, SHB just love pollen sub.

We use it judiciously. We rehabilitated a nuc that had been robbed out just recently. They were alive but alarmingly weak. We moved them to another location, fed syrup (the hive was totally dry of nectar and honey), and fed pollen sub, as we were in a dearth and not much was coming in.

They polished off the pollen sub quickly. In fact, they've polished off several patties. If bees don't want it and just nibble on it, remove it before the SHB explode. If you see plenty of pollen stores, don't use pollen sub. If you see lots of pollen coming in, you probably don't need it.

Result: fat queen and lovely brood, being tended by a much stronger population than a month and a half ago. They may have a chance to survive the winter. They now have pollen coming in as well as some fall nectar, but still appreciate syrup to get some winter stores on.

Quote Originally Posted by m0dem View Post
    Really??? Seattle?
    Old Reader's Digest story, probably Life in the United States.

Young woman moves to Seattle. After 6 months, she writes her mom. "Mom, you have to move here. They don't have a winter!"

Six months later, she writes again. "Mom, forget it. They don't have a summer, either."

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post

Young woman moves to Seattle. After 6 months, she writes her mom. "Mom, you have to move here. They don't have a winter!"

Six months later, she writes again. "Mom, forget it. They don't have a summer, either."
    While I've lived/visited many places around this Blue Marble at different times during this lifetime, I could not imagine a prolonged period without the 4 seasons...One with real Winters, Springs, Summers and Autumns .... my own anecdotal research tells me that the overall water quality, and perhaps the quality of life, is also better in those regions that have a 'killing' or freezing season...or annual renewal

We actually have a 'fifth' season up here, arriving without fail as soon as the frost comes out of the ground (can be up to 8' deep depending on snow fall)...its called 'MUD' season, it lasts a few weeks and announces the arrival of Spring .......and that's like 7+ months from now..

So true... and humorous. I'll have to keep that one in my back pocket.
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

So true... and humorous. I'll have to keep that one in my back pocket.
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    We actually have a 'fifth' season up here, arriving without fail as soon as the frost comes out of the ground (can be up to 8' deep depending on snow fall)...its called 'MUD' season, it lasts a few weeks and announces the arrival of Spring .......and that's like 7+ months from now..
    I thought the seasons up there were almost winter, winter, still winter, and construction season
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

"We actually have a 'fifth' season up here, arriving without fail as soon as the frost comes out of the ground (can be up to 8' deep depending on snow fall)...its called 'MUD' season, it lasts a few weeks and announces the arrival of Spring .......and that's like 7+ months from now..[/QUOTE]"

We do too; we have so many different clothes and footwear for the seasons here. Our muck boots are a necessity.
    Proverbs 16:24

Randy Oliver was just in town and spent a fair amount of time discussing the importance of pollen and protein in the bees diet. He showed how to determine if the hive is deficient in pollen and what happens when that occurs. He also covered the importance of having good pollen stores going into winter and how it effects the health of the winter bees and the bees that will be hatching out in spring.

Pollen/sub patties are an important tool for beekeepers but my thoughts on them are that they are not an easy subject for beginners to understand. It is easy to waste your money using them when they are not needed. When used at the right time, in the right way, and for the right reasons, they will make a big difference and pay for themselves.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12