Beehive moving device

Default Beehive moving device

I'm needing to move a heavy, four deep beehive, from one side of a property to the other. There's scrub, and sand pits in between and I can't park my car too close to it due to trees in the way.

I'm realising that it'd be quite useful for me to have some sort of tool that I can use to move these hives around. How effective are sack trucks in moving beehives? Do they tend to topple over at all?

All the sack trucks I've seen have been quite pricey. I don't wish to spend much money on something I'd sparingly use. I figure it'd be best to build something, if only I could find suitable wheels, and maybe some cheap metal as well. I've wondered about using wheels from a garbage bin.

What do you guys use to move beehives around?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Beehive moving device

17884383_524024211318924_6152463391682034929_n[2].jpg17903435_524023904652288_7418774567220271241_n[1].jpg This is what I use It has air tires and will go over uneven ground was not that expensive I move hives by myself a lot this thing saves me a lot of back aches. It lifts them high enough to go in the back of a trailer or pick up

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

I had to move hives for maintenance of my house, and just double ratchet strapped everything together, with one strap around the sides, and one strap on the front/back. Locked them inside after dark with screen, and moved them on a furniture dolly.

This guy has a pretty slick tool, and fairly easy to build your own.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hctNLQ8fI3Q

Quote Originally Posted by Greeny View Post
    This guy has a pretty slick tool, and fairly easy to build your own.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hctNLQ8fI3Q
    Kelly Bee Company sells a two man hive carrier very similar to the one in the video. I bought one about 20 years ago. Carrier is listed on page 33, top right of page, sells for $59.95. Kelly's has a cleat that goes in the hand hold on the bottom box. Handles for two men. Works great. I have used mine a lot over the years.

cchoganjr

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    Kelly Bee Company sells a two man hive carrier very similar to the one in the video. I bought one about 20 years ago. Carrier is listed on page 33, top right of page, sells for $59.95. Kelly's has a cleat that goes in the hand hold on the bottom box. Handles for two men. Works great. I have used mine a lot over the years. cchoganjr
    I just bought one of these last weekend. I have used it moving three hives. Worked great.

>I can't park my car too close to it due to trees in the way.

A pretty good indication that it's not a good place to put hives...

I use several different carts. The one that can handle the most weight would be the Kelley "nose truck".

http://bushfarms.com/beescarts.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

At one of my small yards I was asked to move 5 hives to the other side of the property.

After survey and a lot of thought plus I wanted to do it on my own, I ended up using a large wheelbarrow that was on the property. I first set up the new site with cinder blocks (my usual hive stand). Then I put a moving screen at the bottom of the wheelbarrow and loaded top two supers with lid (or whatever I thought I could move easily) and took to new spot. Placed them on the ground and went back for deep, which I had put on another lid and closed the front. Moved the deep, placed on stand and then reassembled in order. Grass in front of entrance. I moved 2 hives the first day and 2 the next---very hot South Florida day and it was a distance of about 230 yards. And I'm no spring chicken, someone stronger could do it much faster. I have one left to do this week.

I also have a 2 person carrier and have used it many times for shorter moves, with the help of my sweetie.
    If I had to do this more often I would get a Kelley nose truck.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 50 hives, TF

where did you get that? or did you build it?
    Producing Honey and Goodwill at Bec's Bee Hive!

Quote Originally Posted by bee keeper chef View Post
    17884383_524024211318924_6152463391682034929_n[2].jpg17903435_524023904652288_7418774567220271241_n[1].jpg This is what I use It has air tires and will go over uneven ground was not that expensive I move hives by myself a lot this thing saves me a lot of back aches. It lifts them high enough to go in the back of a trailer or pick up
    where did you get that? or did you build it?
    Producing Honey and Goodwill at Bec's Bee Hive!

It's common term is a cherry picker, aka engine lift for pulling engines out of vehicles; not sure what the common tool is in your neck of the woods but talk with a local mechanic.

As Greeny previously mentioned, ratchet straps and an adequate dolly with pneumatic tires (the cheap ones will hurt you); moving by hand over uneven or soft ground can be difficult no mater what you use. As Michael Bush mentioned, if you can't get a vehicle to the site it may not be the best place for hives; moving honey supers out won't be any easier next year but you will have more company on that trip.
    Last edited by Eikel; 09-24-2017 at 06:39 AM.
    ďThe single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.Ē -George Bernard Shaw

I got it from Harbor freight I changed the tires to air filled tires. It is a 1 to shop crane if you have a Harbor freight close to you it will save a lot on shipping if you can pick it up that is what I did I use it for a lot mare than lifting hives

Due to a very serious arm injury I got one of these:

http://www.hivelifter.com/

http://www.kaptarlift.hu/

If you use Google Chrome, you can translate the Hungarian web page.

I got the manual tall lifter.

No, they are NOT cheap but neither was my arm injury. I am still recovering from arm surgery and have not assembled it yet but will post my thoughts about it when I do. A one armed beekeeper is worth about as much as a swarm in October. I will be taking it easy on the lifting in the future. Strangely enough the injury happened while re-positioning some empty oblong card board boxes. Go figure. Gettin' old is NOT for sissies.

simple d handle dolly with off road tires. ratchet the hive together both ways as described above and then strap to the dolly. If the size is too much i'd separate it during the day and move it half at a time. for one hive really doesn't pay to get a gizmo.
    Terrence

How about finding someone with a small tractor and front loader?
    Beekeeping is like playing chess with someone that is much better at it than you are..always protect your queen🐝

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    simple d handle dolly with off road tires. ratchet the hive together both ways as described above and then strap to the dolly. If the size is too much i'd separate it during the day and move it half at a time. for one hive really doesn't pay to get a gizmo.
    This is how I did it last season, a long walk, and pull to the yard, I used my 4x8 trailer to pull them into the storage yard last week. a dolly works good on flat surfaces, if you have any bumps in the grass/dirt it's a pain to move the weight from a dead stand in a divet or over a hump.

Quote Originally Posted by bee keeper chef View Post
    Bee keeper chef, did you make this device? Or buy it made?
    Thanks, BC

Quote Originally Posted by Live Oak View Post
    Due to a very serious arm injury I got one of these:

http://www.hivelifter.com/

http://www.kaptarlift.hu/

If you use Google Chrome, you can translate the Hungarian web page.

I got the manual tall lifter.

No, they are NOT cheap but neither was my arm injury. I am still recovering from arm surgery and have not assembled it yet but will post my thoughts about it when I do. A one armed beekeeper is worth about as much as a swarm in October. I will be taking it easy on the lifting in the future. Strangely enough the injury happened while re-positioning some empty oblong card board boxes. Go figure. Gettin' old is NOT for sissies.
    ive had spine surgery and find lifting the boxes darn hard too. How much are the kaptarlift gadgets? The electric one looks awesome.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...R400/206998666

Divide and conquer.
    One hive; nuc box and many trips .
    It is not true that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks.
    They can learn them, they just can't do them.

Quote Originally Posted by aran View Post
    ive had spine surgery and find lifting the boxes darn hard too. How much are the kaptarlift gadgets? The electric one looks awesome.
    Thanks for the info. If youíre a hobbiest beekeeper, itís hard to justify the expense of these devices. Making them is not a option unless you have the skills/knowledge to do that sort of thing.
    Itís physically hard lifting without 2 people for me anyway.

bbc