Wanting to split - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

No. I decided to wait. I hope it makes it till I can split in spring.
    Beek since 2016: Hardiness Zone 9a: in NW Florida

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I want to start prepping equipment. What do you think is the best way to get as many splits as possible while still getting some honey harvest?

Default Re: Wanting to split

Over here the best method I've found so far is to get a young mated Spring queen to
    head the production colony before the flow is on. If you don't have a newly mated Spring queen then the very late mated summer queen or even an II queen will do. She's still a young queen coming out of winter. Then have 6 nuc hives as the supporting colony for the brood frames donation. Into this production hive, headed by a strong queen after evaluation, are many frame of bees from these nuc hives. There will be an explosion of bees inside the production hive and making you lots of honey on the flow. You have to know your flow to time everything right. Make sure to super up 2 at a time so that the brood nest will not be overfilled with nectar. That is why I like to make as many of these nuc hives as possible before going into winter. You should of seen their production rate coming out of winter early on next year. The strongest nuc hive can also be converted into a production colony also. So how many of these nuc hives do you have going into winter now?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/g...276738958.html

I have purchased several mated queens from Billy. Just installed one here in Atlanta. You should have success with a split and mated queen. I have a small apiary in Holt, FL - not far from you. Billy will mail the queen to you - takes a couple of days.
    It is what it is!

John, he still has some so I plan to order from him. He is a dealer for a bigger operation and got these bees from them.

Question... With one strong 10 frame, do you think it is safe to pull two five frame nucs from it, ending with three hives? Will that weaken them too much? I'd love to go into spring with three boxes.

I would suggest it is not a matter of the number of frames, but of bee density. If all ten frames are covered, your chances of successfully pulling two frames for each nuc are pretty good. Also helps if the frames are full of capped brood. I just pulled two nucs with purchased queens off a double deep last week and all are doing well. The deep was wall to wall bees on every frame. Each nuc got two frames that were covered with capped brood, which is emerging now, and a frame shake of extra bees. I moved them several miles so there was no drift back of the foragers.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

That is great news. The hive is packed. 1 deep, 3 mediums. Lots of brood in bottom two last I looked.
    How much honey did u give them? How many empty frames?

Third frame was mixed honey and pollen one side only. Two frames of foundation. 2:1 syrup in a top jar feeder from day one. The nuc I made three weeks ago is drawing comb with same setup but from a different hive. I don't know about these two yet. Tomorrow I am taking them each a second deep with foundation to work on amd refilling the feeders.
    Thankfully, the bees are smarter than I am. They are doing well, in spite of my efforts to help them.

People don't know that a 5 frame nuc hive that survived the winter will go gang buster trying to
    expand like a first year hive. I just made 3 splits, 2 is a 5 framer and 1 is a 4 framer nucs. I also gave
    them the high protein homemade subs and honey water. The early change to cooler weather is here. I saw
    them packing in the yellow mustard pollen today. So with a mild winter weather we can still make nucs til very
    late in the season. I've done some last year in mid-Oct. too. They still expanded this season giving me more bees and
    a honey harvest. Don't forget to feed them too to make the big fat winter bees. Not too late to me. It can be done where you're at!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

JWPalmer's advice is the same thing I would tell you. Make sure you feed, feed, feed! If it gets too cold for them to take syrup, make some fondant and feed that. Probably won't get that cold in Navarre.
    It is what it is!

I have a lot of extra honey on the main hive. I planned to give them that instead of pulling it. I'm not sure how the overwinter will go with just five frames. I'm wondering if they will need a second box of honey. I plan to make some nuc boxes this weekend.

Here is how I would do it. Make a shim to put some 1" sugar bricks on the top bars. This will help keep the
    moisture away somewhat at the same time provide some to moisten the sugar bricks. If there is room you can
    also put a patty sub with the sugar bricks. Then put the honey box on top of the sugar bricks shim. When they are
    done with the sugar bricks they will move up the honey box to continue feeding. You can also put more sugar bricks on
    top of the honey box too. This will ensure their food security throughout this winter. Make sure there are no mites in there
    to affect the small patches of winter bees. The hive's survival during the winter time depends on these healthy big fat winter bees. At least over here in our mild winter environment that is how we feed them through the winter.

Patty subs on 5 frames:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Don't think this is a good idea for this area of the country. Small hive beetles are a major problem in Northwest FL.
    It is what it is!

I just made my sugar brick feeding shims yesterday for my hives and nucs from some scrap 2x4 cut into 1-1/2 x 3/4 strips. I won't be putting pollen subs on until well into winter as SHBs are a real problem here too. Then again, winter here is only about 6 weeks of really cold (relatively speaking) weather.

I hope I don't need to feed sugar bricks. Shb is a concern here. I'll be putting de below the hives. I forgot to do it earlier in the year and my girls have been corraling a large number. There are multiple supers of honey that I can pull from. They have nearly refilled them.

Happy to say I found some scrap plywood and was able to cut the parts for two deep nucs. Hopefully the two queens will arrive Thursday. Tomorrow I'll glue and nail it together and Tuesday will be painting day. Thank you beesource for the plans!

I have two mated queens arriving this week. I'm wondering what the pros and cons are setting up a double queen hive or two nucs. My original plan was to have two nucs, but I'm wondering about a double.

I think I would stay with plan A. Two nucs are easy to manage and just seems more natural to me. Honestly, I think it is too late in the season for experimentation. No time to fix a problem if one develops. The two nucs I made two weeks ago are really taking off. Good flow with pollen, syrup, and warm weather all contributing factors. With a little luck, yours will do well also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12