Wanting to split
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wanting to split

I live on the upper Gulf Coast, about a five minute bike to the water. I know it is late in the year, but the weather has been good. I only have one hive and my spring split failed. Is it possible to do a successful split now? If so, is it best for a newbie to move a frame of eggs and brood with nurse bees to the new box? I see drone cells, but no queen cells. They superceded in the spring. I'd hate to lose the only hive I have before getting to split it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Wanting to split

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeguppy View Post
    I live on the upper Gulf Coast, about a five minute bike to the water. I know it is late in the year, but the weather has been good. I only have one hive and my spring split failed. Is it possible to do a successful split now? If so, is it best for a newbie to move a frame of eggs and brood with nurse bees to the new box? I see drone cells, but no queen cells. They superceded in the spring. I'd hate to lose the only hive I have before getting to split it.
    I have a friend who lives in mobile who is also a beek. He told me that his bee brought in nectar and pollen all winter long last year. It was an unusually mild winter here in north AL so I don't know if it was abnormally warm there too or if it's normal to have pollen all year.

Having said that, maybe someone in your area will respond, but my hunch is that if you provide them with a mated queen, you could make a split at this time of year. You can feed if needed. If you let them raise a queen you're looking at a month before she's laying and that's a critical month at this time of year.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I don't have a ready source for a mated queen. My current queen has lots of brood. She gave me a momentary panic as she moved into the med super, but lots of frames if brood, including some in the deep. I'm thinking I could also give the split some honey from the main hive.
    It was a mild winter here last year. I plan to leave honey on the hive for winter/spring as I think I prefer the concepts behind natural food when possible. I know they are bringing in pollen right now and it will stay hot for some time. Usually late October is the first chances for cool snap cold enough to break out a coat. Lately it has been later than that.

I've asked around here and can't get a sure answer. Do bees like oak trees and pine for pollen or nectar? I have fall and spring oaks.

P.s. Mobile is 1.5 hrs away and our climate is very similar, especially is your friend is in s. Mobile. If safe to sit there, I should be good.

Yes, I saw your location was NW FL, which I knew was the panhandle. I would not recommend splitting without a mated queen, but that's just me. Unless someone from your area or real close replies that it is a good answer, I would hold off without the mated queen. I'm very familiar with your area, I have family in FWB. You run about 4 later than us on your first cold snap.

No they don't use oak or pine pollen, they don't produce nectar, and those don't bloom in the fall.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Thanks Brad. The only local guy I know to sell starters focuses on nuks in the spring.

Small world. I'm in Navarre, just on the north side of hwy 98.

Too bad they don't use that pollen. Tons of it seasonally around here.

I'm from Dothan and there's a guy from the Bonifay area that was advertising queens on Craigslist. I don't know anything about him though. I may be able to get a couple names/numbers for you if you need them.

Make a split by moving the Queen to a nuc box with a frame or 2 of caped brood and the rest drawn frames.
    The main hive should have some uncapped frames so they can start and feed a queen cell.
    If it does not work out in the end recombine the Queen and nuc back in to the main hive.
    The Queen less hive will get a brood break and may even bring in a lot more winter stores?
    Zone 6b 1400'

I'd feed that hive and overwinter it, make it strong, do a texas split in the springtime. get 4 from 1, plus a honey crop to boot.

Only 2 more months to October. Then it is rainy Autumn time around Halloween here.
    Yes, with favorable weather condition they will make a new mated queen when everything is going in
    the right direction. When it is not then you will have a queen less hive to deal with. After one month + you
    will have LWs to deal with a potential shake out. I try to get some new queens around August if possible. In
    my little experiment having so many hives I can do what you want of making more nuc splits. It is only for an
    experiment to see whether or not they can make a very late mated queen here. Because every year the weather
    is different I'm taking a risky chance. With one hive, I would follow Brad's advice to get a mated queen for a late
    split. Splitting in Sept. is consider late to me because 22--25 days will be another round of new bees. One thing for
    certain, you will have to baby sit your little nuc hive on a split without a mated queen all winter long. Either that or do
    a recombine that might kill off the old queen if they don't accept her. If me, I would not do it with only one hive left. I
    would go buy more mated queens to make my splits. My advice is to count the number of cap broods and young nurse
    bees you have in the big hive. Then decide how many nuc hives you can make to support the number of mated queens
    you will need to buy. This is how I would do it in a mild winter area here.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

There have been several other posts recently related to similar questions. Many people have pointed out that mated queens are readily available from most of the major suppliers, and sometimes at a discount now.

don't do it. you will bee sorry.
    A strong colony coming out over winter has a better chance of splits in spring than now.
    being this is your first year do you really want to take a chance and loose your colonies.
    seriously you are in Pensylvania. I lived in Perkasie, ie Bucks County and your weather is not
    gonna last for a split now.

David, I'm in NW Florida.

Many good points made. I'm going to look into a mated queen, preferably tf. If I don't find one soon, I'll wait for spring.

I'm familiar with your area, grew up near there, my climate on the Ga. coast is about the same. My last splits without mated queens were a couple weeks ago, I'm not seeing many drones now and the bee math doesn't support making one without a mated queen, which I can't do because I have my own line of genetics, and have no queens banked. You could order one if you do it now, many queen producers stop selling them the first of September. Try Rossman in Moultrie, you might want to ride up there it's not far.

I've tried to research it, but can't find info. What is a Texas split 1-4?

S.v Rossman is four hours from here. 😢

Thanks for the Craigslist suggestion. I'm looking into a possible lead there.

data on types of splits is very sketchy at best, there is no resource that list and describes the hundreds of different splits by name etc

but you need to buy the book "Increase essentials" for the texas split answer.

I have a incorrect way of thinking everyone reads everything the same as me, sorry bout that.

Did you make the split?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast