Hive marking

Thread: Hive marking

Default Hive marking

What do people use to mark/name/ID their hives? I've heard of folks writing with crayon on a box, writing on the lid, etc. I'm looking for a better solution, perhaps outdoor writable labels that are waterproof (or something).

Any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Hive marking

A brand works well and isn't easily removed by thieves.

I use old yogurt or cottage cheese container lids and write on them with permanent markers to number the hives. The permanent marker fades so I cover the lids with a smaller lid and staple both of them to the bottom board. I am running about 10 hives and 10 nucs. This does not help with preventing theft if that is what you were looking for.

I write my IL state beekeeper ID number on the boxes with a sharpie.Not really a theft deterrent.
    Writing my name and the year I assembled on the top bar of each frame is. Open up any of my hives and you'll see some frames with my name and a year on them.
    Anyone fool enough to steal hives from me would get caught eventually.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Cattle ear tags and nail or push pin.

Easily removed if boxes are rotated or hive # goes to storage. Never really fade.

I usually just write in sharpie on the hive cover. Seems the easiest for me. I also put my notes there. One quarter of the cover per year. When the cover gets full of notes, I can just paint over it and start again.

A few times when I need a little bit more, I'll staple a "Rite in the Rain" piece of paper (https://www.amazon.com/Rite-Rain-Wea...the+rain+paper) on the cover, and write in either sharpie or a waterproof pen. Although pencil works well too. Just make sure it isn't wet. Eventually it will fade, but the advantage is I can pull the piece of paper off and retain my notes if I need to.

I've used pig ear tags. Put a nail through the hole and into the end of the bottom board. They are inexpensive, come in several colors, are numbered, will never wipe off or fade, and can be seen from a ways away. I don't think it's necessarily a better way than those suggested above. It has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Quote Originally Posted by dkofoed View Post
    What do people use to mark/name/ID their hives? I've heard of folks writing with crayon on a box, writing on the lid, etc. I'm looking for a better solution, perhaps outdoor writable labels that are waterproof (or something).

Any ideas?
    I've got a laser engraver, I haven't used it for hives yet, but I think I will this winter, you know when i dont need a hive assembled ASAP. Right now I just used a laminator to make ID tags.

Mine are all marked with cattle ear tag lying on top of outer cover. Lay a three hole brick with middle hole over raised part of ear tag with back goes through it. Keeps tag on hive and allows me to set tag and brick off when I'm working that hive.
    Beekeeping is like playing chess with someone that is much better at it than you are..always protect your queen🐝

All my boxes, lids and frames are fire branded with my registration number, frames also get the year of going into service on them.
    Haven't yet got to the number where I am having difficulty tracking individual hives, ear tags sounds like it might be the simplest method of keeping track.

Found a 'brand' that is brass with a handle. Heat it up in a fire or with a torch or maybe a barbq grill.
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/n...etters-numbers
    There's a kit where you can add the date too.

Have not tried one yet but am interested in branding my woodenware.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron