A New Chapter in Beesource
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default A New Chapter in Beesource

To the Beesource membership and beekeeping community at large –

Twenty years ago in 1997, I put together a little beekeeping website, and I mean little, that established my presence on the web. Never imagined 20 years later I would be hosting/managing the largest beekeeping forum. 20 years of my life have been focused on facilitating and growing the Beesource community. What started out as a little “hobby” beekeeping forum that sprang out of my interest in providing a place for all ranges of beekeeping experience to be shared and discussed, has grown beyond anything I ever imagined.

Today, it is with both sadness and excitement, that I announce the change in ownership of Beesource. Beginning today, Beesource is being hosted and cared for by the competent and experienced folks at VerticalScope. Around the first of the year, David, from VerticalScope contacted me with an interest in acquiring Beesource. VerticalScope is a company that specializes in online communities. They have the manpower and in-house expertise to manage Beesource, which requires far more from me now than I ever signed up for. After giving this a lot of thought, I decided that this was the right time and would pass on the Beesource baton.

Their intention is not to take over and change the way the forum functions. We all know how beekeepers hate change! The goal is to keep everything “business as usual.” There is a dedicated team from VS that will be managing the site and will introduce themselves in time. I plan to remain involved to some capacity during this transition time and then settle back into just being a participating member. Something I haven’t had the time to do for many years. I plan to enjoy immensely not having to worry about all the technical stuff required to keep the site running. There has never been a time where I could just coast with the site to get a break.

I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know a lot of beekeepers over these 20 years from all over the world with a vast range of experience. Some whom I’ve met face to face, others just through email. I’ve learned a lot about beekeeping from this community as well. The willingness of seasoned beekeepers to help those just starting out is always a pleasure to see. There will always be a certain amount of friction between people when discussing a topic they are passionate about, but in the end, everyone wants to be able to voice their thoughts and have civil discourse, which I think happens quite well here. I have always strived for this forum to be a balance of civility and minimal moderation.

I want to thank all of those who have given of their time over these 20 years to help with moderating, managing content, give suggestions, help with server issues, offer their beekeeping wisdom and experience, and set down roots to make Beesource their place of involvement. It also wouldn’t have been possible without the financial support from all the vendors. Thank you for your trust over the years. It’s because of all of you that we’re over 30,000 members. I look forward to seeing Beesource grow even bigger, beyond the limitations I’ve had. It’s been an honor doing this with you all! I’m grateful that so many people were helped by the contributions of all of you.

My Deepest Regards, Barry
    Regards, Barry

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: A New Chapter in Beesource

Many Thanks for your efforts ! ! !

Thank you for making beesource, and Congratulations!

Hello everyone,

My name is Philip, I am a community manager for VerticalScope, I will be working with the small team you know already that manages the site and taking over webmaster duties for Barry.

We are here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current Mods/Admins easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please feel free to post them in response.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will continue to be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with the mod/admin team to help provide the resources and required work to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members, and to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, YOU as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while your mod/admin team keep the walls and the roof up in this place; we are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You all have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this. For us, it’s paramount to maintain this level of integrity and enthusiasm.

What am I here for?

Our primary role is to be the technical contact; you all contributed to building the strong foundation the site was built on. Moving forward we will all work together to keep the momentum and the community growing. We will be on the forum checking in regularly to make sure regular maintenance is taken care of and keeping things running smoothly from behind the scenes. We will also be setting up a help desk on the site for when you have questions or issues with the site or your account and need assistance.

Looking forward to working with you all.

Thanks,

-Philip

Barry thank you very much for your efforts in developing this site. I am only a second-year but I would not be in my second year if it was not for this forum. Thank you again and start enjoying beekeeping again. J

Good life choice Barry and I know him well enough to know he will be doing a heck of a lot more than raising a few hives in his back yard. If you see a "Beamer cycle" drive by with some beekeeping gear strapped on the back you have probably just had a Barry sighting.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Job Well done Barry! Welcome to the other side. Ohh, and don't spend all of your royalties in one place
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat ;)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Barry,

Thank you for your years of dedication and leadership. I have learned a lot over the years from many people on Beesource and still learning.

Best of luck Barry and thanks!

Many Thanks to you Barry and Congratulations!
    You're little hobby has brought knowledge, sharing, enjoyment and entertainment to a good many people over the years, and I'm glad to say I'm one of them.

THANK YOU BARRY
    Enjoy your freedom to relax.
    Zone 6b 1400'

Thank You Barry.......It is a pleasure to learn and enjoy this site!!!

Good for you ! Thanks for starting this. I hope all the work on it over the years pays off for you.
    Matt

Glad that you are getting a chance to finally be a beekeeper. Have fun and travel when you can!
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

Thank you Barry!
    Welcome Philip!
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by rwlaw View Post
    Thank you Barry!
    Welcome Philip!
    Hey Ron,
    Thanks for the welcome!
    -Philip

Thanks Barry!

Hey Phillip, is there any way we can get you into beekeeping? 🤓
    Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by m0dem View Post
    Thanks Barry!

Hey Phillip, is there any way we can get you into beekeeping? 邏
    Welcome.
    I probably could use more hobbies, I probably need more space than my 600 square foot apartment. Ha!
    -Philip

Thank you for your effort - outstanding!

Thanks Barry for your vision and hard work to see it through. I've learned so much over the years from this site.

Best days ahead. Be well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast