Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

New To Selling Honey

21K views 72 replies 16 participants last post by  Richinbama 
#1 ·
Hi. We are going to be new to selling honey this fall. We already have 3 full honey supers on each of our two hives, so I'm assuming we'll end up with at least 180 lbs of honey. What do some of you recommend as to what sizes of bottles to sell at farmer's markets? We are told the honey bears seem to be the most popular style, but unsure on what size(s) to go with.

Thank you.

#2 ·
I don't sell at farmer's markets. Too much time commitment. But I do sell online, in person, and at a roadside stand (unmanned).

From those locally that go to farmer's markets, you need to be consistent to build up a customer base to make it worth while. Your mileage may vary though.

For me, bears never took off. People weren't interested in them. Pound jars sell ok. But people go crazy over honey in a mason jar. Pint (~1.5 lbs) and Quart (~3.0 lbs). I don't know what it is about it, but people think it's more "pure" and straight from the beekeeper if its in a mason jar.

#5 ·
Same thing here, I sell both plastics and mason jars and the jars have been the #1 seller. On a side note, Ball jars has a sale usually towards August where all their jars are 50% off if you purchase an appliance which is also marked like 40% off. I bought ~700 pint jars for $250, so saved me a lot of money and I got a pretty sweet jam purée machine out of the deal :thumbsup:

#4 ·
We sell a lot of 8oz bottle and 12 oz bottles, plastic. Once the customer, farmers market, buys the small container, most come back for the lb container. We have repeat customers wanting the 2lb container.
Maybe we will add mason jars, give them a ton of choices!

#6 ·
I bought 4 cases of pint jars with lids at walmart around black friday for $6 a dozen. I have not sold much. I don't get out and have had no responces from a craigslist add. I don't have enough for a road side stand yet but also live in a more rural area and so will not have the main traffic go by. I am retired and stay home and so don't have a job where I see people that I can pick on. I have no ideal how I am going to be able to sale much honey and my past results don't bode well for when I actually get a bunch. I don't have any ideal what I am going to do. I have gave about 4 or 5 gal away to family but not sold but maby $75 through my daughter.
Your thread makes me wonder how a hermit like me will unload honey.
Cheers
gww

#7 ·
I go to farmers markets around my area. Honey will generally sell itself if you can find a market that has been around for a couple years and has a consistent crowd. As long as you show up each market and build familiarity and trust with the customers, you won't have much problem selling honey.

Having a large display helps a lot too. It's better to bring a lot more than you think you'll sell because it gives you the look of abundance. The same applies for anything you sell at markets; I noticed a large increase in sales from just adding a lot more honey to the table.

#8 ·
Aar.....

Thanks for the advice. I will be honest, I don't think I want to sell bad enough to sit at a farmers market. My dad one time took tomatoes and cucumbers and let the young kids sell it along the highway and let the kids keep half but they only stayed at it long enough to get enough money to go to the fair. I am worried about being able to sell but farmers markets are more of a commitment then I am willing to make. I still thank you for the advice.
Cheers
gww

#9 ·
I am worried about being able to sell but farmers markets are more of a commitment then I am willing to make.
You don't have to go to every farmer's market. Some farmer's markets allow infrequent attendance. Going once and setting up a booth and seeing what gets sold may work for you. If not, you only wasted a few hours.

Or, instead of farmer's markets, think about craft/bazzar/holiday/festival events. Around July 4th there are usually a ton of festivals going on where people set up booths on the street selling all kinds of stuff. Perfect event to unload a few gallons of honey. And you don't have the repeat time problem.

But generally, local honey sells itself . . . once you've found your customers. I too was worried about selling. At first, I was worried I didn't have enough product to consistently supply customers (10 gallons goes quick). Then, I was worried I had too much to sell (900 pounds sounds like a LOT). Now, I don't really care either way. I have honey to sell, and if you want some come get it (it's awesome) and if not that's fine too. I sell out every year, and when I do, I do. In the beginning I put alot of time into finding customers (roadside stands, Etsy account, Ebay, craigslist, website, SEO, friends, word of mouth advertising, family, co-workers (and their family members) neighbors, clubs, ect.). I was probably bugging too many people. But what I found is once people know you have local honey, they find you. It gets alot easier as time moves on.

#10 ·
Specialk.....I don't know yet what Etsy, SEO is and am not on facebook. I do relize that I am going to have to put some ground work in as soon as I can figure out what fits my personality. I do believe even living where I am, I will eventually do like you and have a table/stand at the end of my driveway. I can't make myself ask my family cause that reminds me too much of all those kids in band and stuff pressuring people that love them to spend $15 on a candle or christmas paper. I know selling is pointing out the good things of what you are selling. I know there are people out there that want what I have with out me having to twist thier arms and I need to find those people. I hear lots of people here that work farmers markets suggesting to talk about bees and thier product and I enjoy talking pretty good but don't like to be pushy about it though I probly am overbearing when I get going.

I live by a town of about 300 people and most of the places I go are like that or even smaller. I would have to drive 40 miles to get to a target or lowes store.

I will figure it out or just have closets full of honey cause I hope (knock on wood) to have more next year then the 7 gal I got this year.

I would probly give it all away if left to my own devices but my wife likes the extra money and also knows how hard extracting is and does help (does more then me). She knows there is value here if I can figure a way to move it.

I am such a hermit for the last few years and am getting my enjoyment from the building and messing around with bees and would not mind being able to give a little extra to the wife since my hobby is all that I am really enthusiastic about and so am pretty worthless on the normal honey doo list.

I see and sorta understand the advice you are giving but it is about like running my bees, I have the concepts down but when actually doing it it seems differrent.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Cheers
gww

#20 ·
I can't make myself ask my family cause that reminds me too much of all those kids in band and stuff pressuring people that love them to spend $15 on a candle or christmas paper.
It sounds like you want to sell honey, but you don't want to listen to anyone about how to sell honey.

You don't get it both ways. You can either sell honey, or you can't. If it isn't for you, that's fine. Let someone else do it. Sell it wholesale, in buckets, to other beekeepers. They'll buy it gladly. Sell your whole harvest at one time and be done.

Or give it away. Your choice.

Asking people how to sell honey, and then telling them it won't work isn't really productive for anyone.

build a "Klotzbeute" ( if you must have frames, it´s possible to build a hive like that with frames)
People in the states don't know what they are, nor would anyone be able to recognize one, or probably think it was anything other than a log. I highly doubt anyone would stop, or spark up a conversation about one.

Most beekeepers don't even know what they are, or what they're called. I think they're super neat though. Always wanted one, but am too lazy to build one.

and you better sell a lot of honey because the first time you invite someone to sit outside on your property next to your and they get stung your going to be liable. I swear sometimes I don't know if posts like this are meant to be a joke or if their serious.
Where exactly did you get that conclusion from? Like many things you read on the internet, this too is false advice.

In most states, you are not liable for honey bee stings when someone is on your property simply because you own the hives they came from. If the people are considered Invitees (they likely are, other than trespassers or licensees), the owner would only be required to warn of potential dangers. A sign that says "honey bees" or a reasonable expectation that bees are on the property is likely enough (such as a sign that says "bee farm" or "live bees"). Plus, most states take a distinction between "wild" and "domesticated" animals. Higher liability for domesticated, usually none for wild. Honey bees bridge a special gap, being counted as wild when convenient, and domesticated when convenient, all to the benefit of the beekeeper.

#11 ·
For a laid back guy like you :) who likes to stay by the shop why not put a yellow 'Local Honey For Sale' sign at the street in front of your property entrance and let them stop by to pick some up. Put the sign up now so everyone who drives by remembers seeing it every time they pass.
And leave it up. Sooner or later they will stop, and probably tell their friends they saw it as well when it comes up in conversation.
Not sure of your setup but they could blow the horn when they get to where you want them and then you come out to greet them. Keep some jars in your shop to make it easy.

I put a sign up on a veggie farm where I keep bees and keep some honey in the barn for when people stop. It's not a farm stand by any means, it's a farm, but I sell a case of 1lb jars out of there a week. They tell us they see the bright yellow sign every time they drive by and remembered it being there when they needed honey. It stated off slow but there are regulars stopping all the time now. On a less traveled side road too. Now the farmer sells some plants and excess produce out of the barn as well. People love it.

Something like this could work for you as well, and you can continue to be a hermit.

The sign is a old political sign that I spray painted bright yellow and used a 1" brush to write the wording on in hunter green enamel. It has a real homemade look to it, elementary school homemade if you know what I mean. Cheap too. At first I was embarrassed by my penmanship but I've gotten lots of compliments on the old fashioned look of it.

#12 ·
clyderoad
Believe it or not, I do have a sign at the end of my drive right now that says eggs on it. Over 3 years, I have probly had an absolute total of ten people that have stopped for eggs. I am high priced on the eggs though at $2:50 per dozen. I thought about putting a honey sign out there but only have about 1.5 or so gals left and thought I would wait till I had more and then just put honey (or a sign) out. On eggs where I live, lots of people proby have or have family that have chickens and $2 would be a fairer price on eggs and expesially lately when eggs keep going on sale for less then a dollar at the store.

The reason for the high price on the eggs is cause if some body comes around more then once, my wife will throw an extra dozen in for free and that way the price is not always changing everyting some body does stop. Mostly we give lots and lots of eggs to our kids when they visit.

From the egg experiance, I don't think that if I make a lot of honey that I will be able to move it on the stand. But you are correct, my ideal has always been to have an honor stand at the end of the road and that would fit my personality best. I might go out if I see some one at the stand and talk thier ear off but would know that it was them that wanted to stop and that I did not push them into it.

I do have your suggestion on the list of things I do plan to do but don't have high hopes for it selling a lot.

I am an idiot as far as visiting goes. I have sit hours on a bucket watching scouts at swarm traps or sitting on a fishing bank for many hours even though the fish didn't bite and been happy but even the thought of farmers markets and such just depresses me even though I usually have fun whatever I do once I am there.

Thanks
gww

#14 ·
and you better sell a lot of honey because the first time you invite someone to sit outside on your property next to your and they get stung your going to be liable. I swear sometimes I don't know if posts like this are meant to be a joke or if their serious.

#15 ·
SiW....
The marilyn one reminds me of an old old dirty joke that I knew as a teenager and that can not be repeated on a family forum. I don't have the building skills to even build the first one.

It was a fun link and those guys on it have even more fun then I intend to have with my bee keeping. Now if somebody wanted to see just how junky my hives are so they could be amazed at how easy it is to make a box that bees will live in, I have it made.
Cheers
gww

#18 ·
"Open a coffee shop if you want people hanging around all day long"

Agreed Clyderoad. You can always tell the folks just itching to get in their 10 posts a day regardless of their real knowledge concerning the subject.

#19 ·
This is jhursky's thread that I tagged my concernce to and I hope his questions were answered well enough. I grew up with out bees and honey and never even seen a hive on the side of the road till I got my own. Honey has come way down in the box stores and growing up we just did not have honey or if we did it was bought from a store. I know more people now that think local honey is better but since it is not a have to have item, even my family would probly buy the cheap stuff if they even bought any at all. Take my daughter for example. They use honey for everything. I have given them about 5 quarts since the end of june. I would give them more but did want to sell just a bit to see how people took to it.

Now my daughter already ran out and went to sams club or some where and bought 5 lbs or so. She didn't buy it from me and I didn't give her more cause I would not even have a gal or so to sale.

I am proud of my honey and it is hard work to extract. I know there are consumers out there that the differrance of knowing who and where the honey comes from is an important factor and then there are others who think that getting as close to honey as possible for the best price is better then using sugar.

Since I grew up with a cheap attitude of buying percived bargins, I can hardly fault others and so have a hard time pushing a sale.

I don't point this out as anyone is doing wrong but more to show that selling for me needs to be to people that want what I have rather then some other loyalty being used against them.

I have thought about discounting my stuff to other beekeepers who are good at the other half of the equation (selling). I would like to get my own retail but may not be good at it. I had 3 hives and got 7 gal and next year I will start with up to nine hives (depending on hive losses) and so believe that untill I decide it is time to sell some bees (or a bad wether year) that my honey production is going to go up. Getting rid of it in a fair way has been bugging me since I got bees cause I know my weaknesses.

I like hearing what you others have done cause I am an ideal thief and also have a background that makes me understand why people do get the cheap stuff from stores.
Cheers
gww

#21 ·
Specialk...
It sounds like you want to sell honey, but you don't want to listen to anyone about how to sell honey.

You don't get it both ways. You can either sell honey, or you can't. If it isn't for you, that's fine. Let someone else do it. Sell it wholesale, in buckets, to other beekeepers. They'll buy it gladly. Sell your whole harvest at one time and be done.

Or give it away. Your choice.

Asking people how to sell honey, and then telling them it won't work isn't really productive for anyone.
I think you made a small mistake here. I didn't say it won't work. I said I was not good in that department. I listen to how people present and like I said, try and steal things I think I can make work for me. I also know there are people out there that it means enough to them to go for the good stuff and so shouldn't have to push someone not interested in the good stuff but more should find some way to let those interested in the good stuff know that I have some.

I don't write what I write as a put down of anyones methods but more as a showing of my weaknesses and seeing how others counter those weaknesses. I never do things exactly like others do but more try and cherry pick successful things that might work for me. I know lots of skilled people in many things that I look up to even if I myself know I don't have that tallent. So I don't push back due to thinking something is wrong for others but more work on work arounds for my problims. I listen to everything and try some of it. Doesn't mean I think the things I don't try are not good, just not good for me at this point in my evolution.

Not trying to wear you out, just seeing how much you have to offer. I see your point but still want to sell some honey and all those things you listed including giving it away (which is what I am doing pretty much now) are things I am trying to figure out of what is best for me. I would rather do as you and sell out every year but I am not you "yet".
Cheers
gww

#23 ·
I said I was not good in that department.
That's the disconnect. I don't think you're listening. There is no "department" to be good in.

You think there's some magic sales techniques, or personality, or methodology to selling honey. Kinda like there is for used cars, where you have to draw people in, convince them to buy, talk them into it. But you aren't selling used cars (or $1 candy bars for $5 for that matter). You're selling local honey. It sells itself, if you let it.

Most beekeepers are odd folks. Many are reclusive. VERY FEW are "salesmen." Myself included. But they all sell out every year. How? By putting a sign up that says "local honey" and not caring what happens. Or by going to a farmer's market and not pushing their product, but sitting back and reading a book as customers walk by. Those that want it will buy it. Those that are put off by your personality will walk by. But who cares, you don't want to sell to the ones that want to be talked into it anyway, right?

That's what everyone is trying to tell you, but instead you want to respond by saying "I don't have the personality to go to a farmer's market" or "I don't want to tell friends I have honey for sale because I'll sound pushy."

Which is fine if that's what you want to do. But these mental gymnastics and constant negativity is exhausting.

My last piece of advice: Take a piece of cardboard. Spraypaint "Honey for sale: $10" on it with an arrow pointing down. Put the sign on your front yard near the road. Put two jars of honey under it. Staple an envelope to the cardboard to put the money into. Wait two weeks. See what happens. If the honey is gone with no money, it was a life lesson. If the honey is still there, maybe it won't work. If the honey is gone and you get money but you didn't like doing it, maybe this isn't for you.

I would rather do as you and sell out every year but I am not you "yet".
First, I'd like to make it clear that I'm not a honey selling guru. I don't harvest anywhere near the volume that many others on here do. State average honey production is 29 lbs a hive. Unless I devote all my time to bees, there isn't a possibility for me to move literally tons of honey. So while I sell out every year, I don't consider that a feat or an accomplishment that's noteworthy.

Second, the whole point is that I didn't get there overnight, and I didn't get there by running mental gymnastics about personal fears and insecurities. I put a sign on the front yard. I told a friend I keep bees. People asked for honey. I gave it to them. With every sale, I got better. I branched into more markets. More opportunities. Not overnight. Not in one year. But as my markets improved, so did my harvest. So far, both track fairly well together. I harvest in June and usually sell out by April or May. Every year my harvest grows by 15-20%, but I still sell out the same time of the year. But I wasn't there in year one.

In the end, put a sign on your front yard and tell a friend you have honey. Go from there. If your personal fears or insecurities won't allow you to do that, then don't. I don't think I can make it more simple than that, with a product that literally sells itself.

"Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear." - G. Addair

#22 ·
I remember a guy a few years ago who asked questions about making more honey in an area of low production. The
respondents recommended all sorts of ways to help increase production. Well, the beekeeper wanted to make more honey but didn't want to listen to anyone's suggestions and shot down every one of them, telling everyone why none of the ideas would work.
Remember that SpecialK? wish I could find the thread and link to it.

#24 · (Edited)
What a bunch of crap specialk. 3 years ago you were paralyzed with indecision on how to manage your hives, it was a classic example
of mental gymnastics about personal fears and insecurities. Now, you are pointing fingers and making judgments? The last thing needed on here is another smart aleck convincing others of their great ways. Offer your advice and move on. Geez.
Here is the 'brainstorm session' I'm talking about so others have a sense of who is doling out all the free advice and making judgements:
http://www.beesource.com/forums/sho...trategy-Impasse&highlight=increase+production

#25 ·
SpecialK...
I gave 5 gal of honey away to family and people that have helped me in some way, like the guy that gave me all the sugar and most of my close family. They were happy and know I will also sell. Most don't really eat honey but they did help me and let me hang swarm traps and such. I have no friends since retiring and staying home. I don't go to church every sunday or belong to the lions club and truthfully only hit about 3 beeclub meetings a year due to bad memory.

I am going to do the sign and will watch what others do or offer up for advice to see if I intend to try some of it. I may find other nuggets as the conversation goes on.

mental gymnastics is the best way I know to draw out as much as a subject has to offer. I am fearful that selling will be hard and I am not in that big of a hurry cause I don't relie on it in life but it would be nice to do better.

This is my way of getting from point A to point B. Looking for root cause of why when I do it, it does not work as the way others report it does is my way of figuring out what to do next. As for as farmers markets and me being resistant. It is a personality and time money thing compared to guessed results. If it cost thirty bucks for a stand and is 40 miles away and takes a day to do, then my value system may make it worth it to me (not others) to pour the honey down the drain rather then do that. It is sorta like chicken being on sale for two bucks off with a limmit of two chickens. Is it worth spending five bucks in gas to get that good deal. I know where I live and attitudes may be differrent on some things. It is fine to call this a negative responce to advice offerred but on the other hand there may be lots of ways to skin a cat and mental gymnastics might dig them out and it may only be a negative responce as it pertains to what I know now for me.

I really like hearing the things you have did so I can add them to things to watch for as a situation may change for me that makes it work later when I don't think it will work now.

As far as there being no department to be in, I dissagree. When I had a job, I had a bigger circle of people to work with in my normal life and selling would be easier just due to the wider circle of contacts. If I was young and still participating in stuff, I would have a wider circle that I had regular access to. Since I am an introvert, then widening my circle is more work and that makes me not as good in that department and so I have to dissagree that there is no "I am not good in that department". My department now is not like it was five years ago and I am starting from scratch. Give advice if you feel like it or tell your experiances and I will still like to hear it and when you get tired of me, I will still be looking till I figure it out for me. I figure you were trying to help and I think reading your view does help. I still have to figure out what and how I have to progress. It is the same with any stuff that I have never did before.

I have spent three years on the forum asking questions on bee keeping and am still lost lots of times when I open the top of my hive but do know more then I did when I started.
I am thankful for the efforts to respond to my questions here. I am thankful even if I frusterate those doing the answering.
Cheers
gww

#27 ·
SiW....
Don´t feel bad gww, you are ok.
Ha,ha, I don't feel bad and am not trying to make others feel bad. Thank you for this though.
My only real neihbor is across the street. I do have a small town (300 poeple) 7/10th of a mile from me. I have relitives that live on more main road type places that I could put honor stands on. My brother lives on a road that goes to a time share type resort but he also works and I really wouldn't put one on his road due to maby drawing thiefs to his house which would be easy to rob cause he does not even have a neighbor across the street. I left my house empty for four years while I followed my job to a differrent state and never had an issue and I think it was cause I had a neibor that could see the front of my house well. I don't think we live in a bad area but my brother did have a razer atv stole right out of his front yard and so I would not bring that down on him.
I could try flyers but don't think you are supposed to mess with peoples mail boxes plus most would eventually see a sign or hear about it when I get one up.
Thanks for the ideal.
Cheers
gww

#29 ·
Today is the first day in a week that I did not make bread. I have used about 60/70 lbs of the 250 lbs of flour so far. The bread is so easy to make the way I make it that it is a crime. Since I make it almost for free, I could use one jar for tasting and put a sign out free honey sandwich and then try to sell a bottle of honey to those who try it. I have to admit though, I am likeing the strawberry jam on bread more then honey.
Cheers
gww
Ps The chickens are eating good though. It might be bad for them but they just love bread. I went out right at dark and saw probly ten red birds and about a hundred of other kinds of birds on the ground in my back yard picking up things the chickens left. The crows are real smart and get thier share also but are smart enough to fly off at the first sign of movement or when a door opens.

#32 · (Edited)
The bread is so easy to make the way I make it that it is a crime....
+100
Here, sour dough, mostly rye, DIY rye starter.
I run my own starter non-stop; just put it into fridge when not in use.

Baked just this morning. :)
This stuff competes with pizza and wins in my household.
Good, grass-fed (yellow!) butter and dark honey (preferably buckwheat) on this bread - to die for.
Dish Food Cuisine Ingredient Brown bread

#30 ·
So, there is a house in a nearby town; on a street corner.
They have a small chicken farm operation and keep chickens in movable coops.
The eggs are real deal - deep orange yolks.
I am sold.

They have a street sign - Eggs ($3/dozen).
You walk up to the house, walk into the covered porch, the egg cartons are just set out there for taking.
You get what eggs you need; leave the cash in the coffee mug.
All it is.

Should work with honey just as well.

PS: the egg seller is interested to barter with me for honey;
so we'll see... :) We do use lots of eggs, not as much honey.

Also, folks, honey is fine "currency" to barter.
I also barter away my berry bushes and fruit tree cuttings..
Also my fruit orchard maintenance expertise - prune fruit trees in exchange for organic fruit.
In many ways, barter is even a better deal than trying to make few $$$.
An idea.

#31 ·
Interesting thread ...

Im not a born salesman, far from it. So when its time to sell honey, I mentally prepare a day or two in advance. My favorite venue is roadside sales. Its not all about the honey though, I hand out business cards like candy, reminding people I do bee removals also. Sometimes I get drive-by Christianed, two times I really thought I was going to get robbed but didnt :) Im always honest, if someone asks something I dont know I say "I don't know" and I push my product like its the be-all end-all. A good location doesn't hurt either. I set up by a major intersection with a place to pull over. It also happens to be by a giant grow operation. I always sell lots of honey to red eyed employees who have a case of the munchies.

I'm always apprehensive at first but hell on wheels once I get rolling. To be honest I have a really good time doing it, you meet a lot of interesting people to say the least.

Honey is also great for bartering especially when you consider I don't eat honey. I traded a gallon of honey for a carb and r. front axle for my atv lol AWESOMESAUCE!

#33 · (Edited)
rwurster
Buisness cards. Interesting. Barter, sort of. My dads neibor offerred me some free sugar (so far about (450lbs) and just gave me 250 lbs of flour. I gave him a quart of honey. He deserves more but I gave a pint to my uncle that gave me some paper coveralls and some hospital gloves and let me hang a swarm trap. And yada, yada yada.

I know my gifts seem very small compared to thier gifts to me but this was my first harvest and it added up to 4 or 5 gal gone and I am down to about 1.5 gal left. It was not barter in the traditional fassion as the people all gave me the stuff just to give it to me or cause it seemed better then throwing it away.

No problim setting up along the road law wise?

Greg,
I see by your picture that you have some normal white bread like I am making in the background. I am just making white flower bread due to all the free flower I was given and went with sour dough so it cost nothing in yeast to make it. I do put a couple of eggs in mine since half plus of the bread ends up back to the chickens. That on your counter looks good. My chickens are free range and my yolks are pretty impressive also. I have tomorrow mornings bread on top of the frige raising right now. I mix it wet, let it sit 18 hours, fold and throw in a turkey roasting pan, let raise again for one to two hours depending on if I leave it in a cold area or put it in a warm area. Squirt some water on top of it, put three knife slices in the surface and bake for 50 min on 425 degrees. It turns out almost perfect every time. It is about four loaves worth of bread. That is something else that I have given several loaves of away. Not as nutritious as yours but danged cheap to make when you get free flour. I have used about 70 lbs so far and just keep bakeing cause flower will not last forever like sugar does.

I may grow up to be a big boy someday if I keep this up.

Thank you guys for the tips on selling honey. Bartering is good and I think I can get that down quicker then I can selling but believe I will eventually make enough that my gifts might get a little better and will still need to sell some.
Thanks
gww
ps greg, I have five apple trees in the ground for 3 years and bought box store size and not as sprouts. No bloom yet, peaches and pears and plum do bloom.
Ideals?

#34 ·
No problim setting up along the road law wise?
Depends on your state's laws, but shouldn't be a problem. Most states have exemptions from licensing requirements if farm products are bought direct from the farmer. Meaning if YOU set up a road stand, you're fine. But if you gave your honey to someone else who set up a road stand, it would be a no go. Provided you have "permission" from the land owner (or it's state/county owned). Otherwise your'e trespassing (although in all likelihood if you got "caught" they'd just tell you to move).

#35 ·
Special
I am pretty sure that they just changed the law in MO where I can sale up to a dollar amount through second party and also on the internet.

There is a hwy T type junction in my town that has a big pull off spot on both sides with enough room that traffic would not be affected. I am thinking it would be on state or county land even in the grass. I doubt it is an issue but thought I would ask incase it ever was for someone. I do live in hickville.
Thanks
gww

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.