New To Selling Honey - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: New To Selling Honey

I am the one that took it off subject though I did mention honey on the bread.
    It seemed that we were not interfearing with the thread subject matter too bad cause we had covered a lot of on subject stuff.

There is snow on the ground now and so if I don't get side tracked I may pm you greg with a picture and if I do get side tracked, I will live with what happens.
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I think you are over complicating selling honey.
    Honey sells its self, especially honey that the customer knows is from the local area.
    Im lucky in that I have retail shop so just place it on the counter. Only had a very small harvest last year but sold it all fairly quickly.
    Have only had honey back in the shop for a week this season. I have only sold a few kg in the past week but lots of customers commenting on it and informing me they have been forced to buy from the supermarket because they couldnt find any locally.
    The only thing you need to do is get it in front of customers, sign etc would work but if that isnt your thing maybe someone with a roadside stall nearby would be interested in selling it for a percentage. Im sure there would be a shop in town that would be interested in a similar arrangement.

I will think selling is easy after it is gone but so far I still have some. The stuff in the store is very cheap lately. A sign is on the list but not a lot of traffic. This thread has been helpful if even just to get the enthusiasm built up to think it can be done. It is nice to hear others that are doing the same as you want to do.
    Thanks
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by 220 View Post
    Im lucky in that I have retail shop so just place it on the counter.
    In most states in the US (although not all) once you put your honey in a retail location, and the beekeeper isn't selling it directly to the customer, the requirements change. Labeling requirements kick in and the bottling is supposed to be done in a certified kitchen. Typically not enforced, but just throwing it out there as a warning to others.

Even if I sell it myself we are supposed to have a label with my name, address of bottling, phone, and name of product as per cottage food sales.
    Last edited by rwurster; 01-16-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: cottage food not craft food
    Zone 5 @ 4700 ft. High Desert

Yeah, I was referring to weight, contents, and nutritional labeling requirements.

We might have to put the weight on also, its been a while since I got the labels printed. We also are required to have a food safety class. To be honest, I sell mine in pint jars and if someone starts getting froggy about labels (happened only once) I slap one on the jar for them lol Then you can only sell a certain $$$ amount of any certain type of cottage food. Its not too bad, the regulations are straight forward and not what I would consider unfair. I don't really follow the labeling requirements but I have them which helps immensely for one of those PITA customers.

When I put an add on craigslist. I just took a picture of a quart and a pint sitting next to each other. I have not got any calls on no lable but then again, I haven't got any calls.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by rwurster View Post
    We also are required to have a food safety class.
    Are you referring to SafeServe?

That's kinda a pain. Not unreasonable, but still a pain. I don't think you're required to do that in NC until you go beyond the food cottage limit (or you add something to the honey).

Its not too bad, the regulations are straight forward and not what I would consider unfair.
    Overall, I'd probably agree, although certain portions of the regulations can be somewhat not so straight forward. I know others on here have had questions about things like whether you need an address and a phone number or just one, at what level you need nutritional information, whether you need to put a contents portion on your label (even if its only honey), or whether you need both metric and imperial weight. The FDA regulations aren't entirely clear on some of those items. Calls to your local inspector will leave you just as confused, and the FDA official (if you can get one on the phone) typically refuses to comment.

Enforcement is somewhat the more unfair portion. Whenever I'm in a grocery store I check out the honey selection to see if anything is local, prices, labels, whatnot. The vast majority of honey that originates from NC/VA/SC in our stores doesn't comply with many of the labeling requirements (no phone number, most don't have nutritional information, ect.). But no one cares. Someone wrote an article in ABJ a year or so about it. Their jars were pulled off the shelves by an inspector for not following labeling requirements, and that was apparently the punishment (no fine or anything), but when they tried to track down what they needed to change things weren't so clear (and if I remember correctly, their honey had been in that store for like 10+ years with the same label with no issues). Luck of the draw I guess.

I don't really follow the labeling requirements but I have them which helps immensely for one of those PITA customers.
    Most of my customers (direct) actually don't want a label. I put labels on my pound jars, but not my pint or quarts. The unlabeled pints/quarts outsell my pounds probably a clear 4:1. When I ask my customers if they'd prefer a label, they all say no. Go figure. I guess they think the product is more "authentic" if there isn't a label on it (I do put a round sticker of my logo and farm name on the lid).

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    When I put an add on craigslist. I just took a picture of a quart and a pint sitting next to each other.
    Add a picture or two of your hives, or you beekeeping, or you bottling it. People like to see that you're really a beekeeper, not someone who bought a bucket of honey and is retailing it out.

The description also matters. A short "I have honey. Call xxx-xxxx" usually doesn't instill much confidence. A long wordy paragraph does better than a sentence description, but can deter some people. Something in between works best. Show them you're passionate about bees, and you're delivering a local, natural product.

You won't attract a high volume of people from craigslist anyway. It's more an opportunity to spread the word. Sometimes it isn't the person that sees the ad that buys it, but that person tells their uncle who buys it. It just gets the word out to more people, which is what you want. The few sales I have had from craigslist have resulted in long time devoted customers though. They've come back month after month. Really good customers. Online sales (especially non-local) are very hit or miss. A few become repeat customers, but most don't.

At least, that's what I've found works. Your market may be different.

specialk....
    This is my add.
    https://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/d...443870694.html

It is true that I did not try too hard. I only have about a gal and a half left from seven to sell. I will try harder next year. This was more a test to see if anyone would call and only one guy did and he really just wanted advice on why 300 bees would fly into his house and was using interrest in maby buying as a reason to ask his questions.

I don't mind if you have constructive criticism of my add even if you hate it. I am willing to hear your thoughts.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Two thoughts gww Pints have 16 fl oz in them, they should weigh (with honey) approx 1.5# and quarts are 32 fl oz and should weigh 3#, and the pic is a tad blurry probably because of low light. Honestly just say LOCAL RAW HONEY Hives in my backyard, dark raw honey, price for pint/quart. When they call you can tell them how to get the wax off the top, how you harvest, etc. I usually set up my pics for craigslist, use a white sheet or towel for the background to make the color of the honey pop, or a pic of yourself with a jar of honey smiling like its a bar of gold Presentation is most of the sale IMO. It gets the customer to call you then you seal the deal. I wouldnt bother with labels for a gallon and a half but I sure would turn it into $120. Good luck I know you can do it

rwurster
    Thanks for the feed back. I could do pictures better on presentation but will say that my phone is my only camera that I am smart enough to get pictures to the computer from, and it always seems blurry no matter what. But I do get your point and knew it while I was doing it. It was a spur of the moment thing.
    Cheers
    gww

PS I do think I am closer to content weight with out the jar though.
    zone 5b

This is my add. ... gww
    gww, a couple of points (for you as a seller from me as your reader):

1. Cut that ad down to 1/2 of the current size (1/3 is even better).
    Reformat into bullet point formatting.

I shop on Craigslist a lot for stuff and can tell - your add is hard to read and too much of it.
    I get tired reading it mid-way. Sorry, man! Just saying like it is.

I say ask people to "peer-review" your ad right here before posting it.
    This is for your own benefit.

2. Better pictures (just like already mentioned)

Do better job with the pictures; give it an honest try (there is no film to develop, mind you).
    Do get yourself or at least your yard into the picture.

Let us know and we can peer-review your ad.
    I am sure there will be many volunteer editors!
    I will be honest, I will be trying these ideas on myself too.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

People will see the weight as volume, ounces for weight and people use ounces for fluid volume also. Its one of those things, I would use pounds or say fluid ounces for clarity.

Greg
    When you find what works for you, show it to me. I just looked at other adds on craigslist and then tried to not be quite the same as them. All adds were longer then my adds and I wanted to look a little unprofessional in the ad cause of the "away from urban places" that I live.

I am not saying I guessed correctly but more that that was what I was going for. I actually added the foam thing so that people could know just how unfiltered my local stuff was. I actually don't really find hardly any foam.

I didn't get any calls though and so what I was trying for did not work.
    Thanks for the advice.
    Cheers
    gww
    My thought were along the lines of what specialk said in a differrent thread that his quarts and were selling better then his actual labled and bottled in honey bottles were selling.
    zone 5b

>> ... my phone is my only camera that I am smart enough to get pictures to the computer from, and it always seems blurry no matter what.

Blur is a result of motion, either the subject or camera. But blur is also a factor of the time that the camera shutter remains open, and that is dependent on the available light. So, more light = less blur. Taking photos in sunlight means more light than indoor electric light, usually.

Also the white sheet mentioned above reflects more light than the dark background objects in your sample photo. And those dark objects are distracting from the honey too. Stage your photos to have a better background and more light.

Also, phone photos are virtually 'free', so take a lot once you have set up each shot. Review them carefully (on a larger screen than the phone) for small differences and choose the best. Delete the rest.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Rader
    Got it, thanks.
    gww
    zone 5b

Rwurster
    Though honey is supposed to be sold by weight and 22 oz is the wight that a pint holds with out the jar. I really don't take it too seriously but then again wanted to be right with out having to weigh each bottle seperatly and so I would at least know what I was saying was true or even a little under.
    I don't think saying it in a differrent way is that big of a deal if I decided to but felt I could prove out what I did say if needed.
    I am weird some times.
    Cheers
    gww
    Ps Some of my friends call weird bull headedness even if I cut my own nose off.
    zone 5b

Greg
    When you find what works for you, show it to me....
    gww
    gww,
    I honestly don't by honey from Craigslist.
    Never did...
    I doubt I ever will (especially now that I run my own bees).

Reasons:
    * IF I buy local, I might as well go to the farmer's market and have fun at it and look at people
    * OR, IF I buy local, I just ask on my local beekeepers' forum who has honey for sale now AND I buy from those people who I like
    * Also, I have bought local honey while on vacations in some backward places just from the road side stands.

* I also shop for buckwheat honey (no locals sell any) - so I just go onto Amazon and find the best deal on raw buckwheat honey and just buy it.
    * I might also buy some specialty honey on Amazon (say, raw wild honey from Arizona or from Spain).

Maybe I should ask on Beesource if anyone sells buckwheat.

So, I concur with you - Craigslist may not sell much.
    But - it cost you nothing and only few minutes of your time.
    So still run the ad on Craigslist, I would think.
    Former "smoker boy". Classic, square 12 frame Dadants >> Long hive/Short frame/chemical-free experimentations.

greg
    So, I concur with you - Craigslist may not sell much.
    But - it cost you nothing and only few minutes of your time.
    So still run the ad on Craigslist, I would think.
    Yep.

Another thread side track just for you.
    bread.jpg
    It will be ready to cut at noon.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast