SBB single deep, excluder, top only entrace

Default SBB single deep, excluder, top only entrace

has anyone ever run this configeration? A single deep for brood nest sitting on a screened bottom board with no entrance. Queen excluder on the single deep with supers over that. Cover with a top entrance, or perhaps an "ernie entrance" right above the excluder.

If you have run this config, what have you noticed?
    Last edited by Woodside; 08-20-2017 at 10:10 PM.
    Young queens - Tanner Christianson

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: SBB single deep, excluder, top only entrace

Your lack of a response may answer your question. Generally it is harder for the bees to remove debris without a bottom entrance. What do you think you are gaining by not having a bottom entrance?

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    Your lack of a response may answer your question. Generally it is harder for the bees to remove debris without a bottom entrance. What do you think you are gaining by not having a bottom entrance?

Crazy Roland
    Hey roland. Ya I assume Noone has due to no responses. Mmm there is a small opening on screened bb for drones to leave. and 99 percent of debris falls thru screen, just dead bees don't fit. The idea is the bees will not store much honey in the single deep brood nest and the queen shoulnt be restricted much... if there is a bottom entrance there are usually a couple frames of honey and I think the queen gets restricted with just a single deep /w 8 frames and feeder. I have a couple hives in a test yard in this configuration and once i get the honey off in a few days I will take a look at the brood nest. But I was hoping for a bigger sample size or some outside info.

There is a good reason your setup is not common, and you will be finding out very soon all of the reasons why.

Crazy Roland

There is a good reason your setup is not common, and you will be finding out very soon all of the reasons why.

Crazy Roland
    Go on tell the rest of us please?

Let's let the OP try this setup and report back. My observations of the past may not be relevant today, so for accuracy, it would be best for a modern report.

Crazy Roland

Just pulled the honey off.. I guess I only had 2 hives set up this way... they didn't look very good... I think too much unnatural stuff was going on. I probably won't try this setup again.

So, in summary, you experimented with something you thought might be a good idea. IMO, much of where we are in beekeeping today came from people experimenting with something they thought might be a good idea. Some of them turn out to be good, many of them don't. Yes, we can ask others whether they have tried our idea and what their outcome was, but sometimes, it's good to try for yourself and see. There are MANY who swear that you have to treat for varroa, each one will probably have a preferred treatment method. Some have said the heck with it and have learned to be treatment free and have been successful. While the treatment folks will call them crazy and poor beekeepers sometimes, the fact remains that they attempted to do something different than the norm. It worked out for some, didn't for others. I say if you have an idea to solve what you perceive to be a problem, try it out on a limited basis if you have the resources to do so. If it fails, you have learned something. If it succeeds, slowly build on it and see if it's sustainable.

Thank you for your report.

Crazy Roland

Quote Originally Posted by Woodside View Post
    Just pulled the honey off.. I guess I only had 2 hives set up this way... they didn't look very good... I think too much unnatural stuff was going on. I probably won't try this setup again.
    What type of "unnatural" stuff was going on ? Not enough brood in the bottom brood box ? Not enough feed (pollen / nectar) in near brood ?
    Too many stuck / dead drones ? Pollen stored close to the top entrance ? Laying workers in the top section ? Dead queen ?

None of the above but unnatural things such as ghosts were seen ? :-).

Inquiring minds want to know.

The main problem will be drones. They will clog up the excluder because they cannot get out if there is no exit below the excluder.

See caveat below #11:
    http://bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#topentrance
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Mmm there is a small opening on screened bb for drones to leave.

Can you explain what you mean? Are you saying you're intentionally running a secondary entrance at the bottom? Or that the SBB inherently allows this?

Crazy Roland
    What he said

Donít forget that brood nest needs a place for entry, to allow free flow of pollen into the brood nest. No pollen no bees