Drawing comb

Thread: Drawing comb

Default Drawing comb

What is the best way to get the bees to draw comb this time of year? We are entering into our fall flow but they seem to be slow drawing comb. I am not interested in getting honey so I can feed them. Frame feeders? Open feeding? 1:1?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Drawing comb

Trickle feeding is better for comb drawing. Inverted jar with few holes punched placed on inner cover and hidden by empty an hive box. My little Nuc will draw a frame in 2 weeks with trickle feeding. Another colony with frame feeder will simply backfill and draw thick comb.

To get comb drawn, you need lots of bees of the right (young) age, and a continuous supply of a carbohydrate source, whether that's supplied or natural. Getting the hive to think it is appropriate to increase the workforce, you need to not only have the carbohydrates coming in, you also need protein to make new bees (in the form of pollen or pollen substitute). It may be difficult to persuade your bees (if there hasn't been a real lot of brood raising going on over the past several weeks) that it's time to get on with it and draw a bunch of new comb. Try keeping them supplied with a 1:1 sugar solution and if you care to, add some pollen substitute over the brood nest to make it easy for them to make some fat diutinus bees.

I would be very cautious about feeding at this time of year--no added scent to attract bees, and only feed the hive itself from a protected source that cannot be accessed by robber bees. No entrance feeders and well-reduced entrances to make it easier to protect the hive from other colonies' bees coming to take the feed and the other readily plundered resources.

If you can get your bee population way up just as your main flow starts in your area, you'll have supers of foundation drawn out (and filled) in a week's time. They know what to do when they need to.

If I lived in Maine, I would not be expecting any more comb drawing of any significance to be happening this year.

I'll bet in the north they are starting the winter prep now. Winter will be
    coming earlier this year. The bees know it well more than we do in response to
    the change in daylight hours. Last month it was 9 pm before the sunset. Now it is
    around 8pm. Pretty soon it will be at 5:30pm for the sunset with the onset of the winter solstice here.
    Somehow way up there the bees seem to winter prep much earlier than our mild winter area.
    Don't worry, the bees know what they are doing. The more you feed now the more they will packed them
    in either syrup or natural stuffs. Just let the bees be bees!
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    If I lived in Maine, I would not be expecting any more comb drawing of any significance to be happening this year.
    I don't know the conditions of bee keeping in Maine and was making comment from supposition on my part. If conditions are right you can probably still get comb drawn, sorry for my earlier comment.

Quote Originally Posted by pjigar View Post
    Trickle feeding is better for comb drawing. Inverted jar with few holes punched placed on inner cover and hidden by empty an hive box. My little Nuc will draw a frame in 2 weeks with trickle feeding. Another colony with frame feeder will simply backfill and draw thick comb.
    I've found that the bees will always do what they want with the syrup whether or not I agree. If they're going to backfill, they will. If they're going to draw comb, they'll do so.
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

They may draw some comb if you feed this time of year, but more likely they will backfill what they have and you may set off swarming if you are not careful.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF