Feeding but not drawing comb - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Feeding but not drawing comb

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingstoneboy View Post
    . Just for the record...the comb being drawn now is nothing like what happens in June but I get comb drawn in August and Sept. most every year.
    Just for the record, I don't. They will extend and cap, but starting new frames, pretty much no.
    It is hard to design a safety net that some will not use as a hammock.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingstoneboy View Post
    empty frames I threw in 2wks ago (deep foundationless in the center of broodnests) are mostly fully drawn.
    Doesn't doing that especially now run the risk of brood dying on the frames that are next to the empty ones because of cold? Would like to get a few more frames drawn out now but not at the expense of the brood.

Quote Originally Posted by Sickdog5 View Post
    Doesn't doing that especially now run the risk of brood dying on the frames that are next to the empty ones because of cold...
    Whether brood gets left out in the cold or not is something the bees can take care of on their own.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Doesn't doing that especially now run the risk of brood dying on the frames that are next to the empty ones because of cold? Would like to get a few more frames drawn out now but not at the expense of the brood.
    How cold are the nights where you are? (my guess is >50f)
    Somebody forgot to give my bees a copy of the book.
    Zone 6B

I've been doing a feeding experiment. Feeding as much syrup as one hive will take using a frame feeder.
    In 8 days, the bees have taken down 4 gallons and fully drawn and filled 2 frames with syrup and eggs. I didn't even check the foundation in the bottom box which has probably been significantly drawn out.
    5lbs of sugar in one gallon of syrup.
    Zone 6B

Quote Originally Posted by m0dem View Post
    How cold are the nights where you are? (my guess is >50f)
    Yes low 50's and some high 40's

Quote Originally Posted by m0dem View Post
    I've been doing a feeding experiment. Feeding as much syrup as one hive will take using a frame feeder.
    In 8 days, the bees have taken down 4 gallons and fully drawn and filled 2 frames with syrup and eggs. I didn't even check the foundation in the bottom box which has probably been significantly drawn out.
    5lbs of sugar in one gallon of syrup.
    so what's your conclusions?

Sickdog
    Randy oliver did a study during fall with several hives and though the study was more on 1 to 1 serup and 2 to 1 and how much serup it takes to draw comb. He did give numbers and the bees did draw comb and it was done with very fast feeding, like 3 gal at a time and repeating continually. I did some of the same last year and the bees did draw some comb but after 6 gal on a single medium hive with an empty box on top the bees drew out three comb and I decided I was too cheep to feed the bees what it would take to compleetly draw out the second medium and I just moved the partial drawn box to the bottom of the hive and put a 15 lb sugar block in a shim on top of the hive and called it a day. The bees made it to april fine and I did get some comb drawn very early spring cause the box was about full come early april. I got about 16 pounds of honey off this hive so far and it has about a medium super on it that is 3/4 full and capped.

I would go to randies site and look at his study and use that to help me dicide what I might want to do.

This is only my first spring after a winter and so I am saying what happened with me more then giving advice except to say that randy did do a study that can add more.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

so what's your conclusions?

Drawing comb can be done any time when the temperature allows
    ... frame feeder or not. The bees just have to be in the mood.

I forgot to add that there was also a good bit of perfect white, new burr comb.
    Zone 6B

august 18. 2015 I got the advise from my mentor to put on top a deep with foundations and start feeding. It was strong hives. I started feeding 1:1 sugar syrup.
    I have 12 frames dadant.

The bees started immediately to draw comb but they only drew half a deep and stored the syrup. It was capped. I used 40 pounds of dry sugar each hive to make the syrup.
    They processed this. It was a warm fall.

I left it at that overwinter but the bees only survived this because we had a winter without frost.
    I would never do that again. Itīs reducing as much as possible now, no empty space, no foundations in over winter. The danger they freeze in a cold spell or are isolated from food is too high.
    Remenber, itīs my circumstances only.

Feeding, drawing comb and storing is the most local thing and you canīt transfer the advise to your own beekeeping. Itīs a long term experience and will change every year with the hive densities.
    Your plans are not what the bees probably decide.

The best is to propagate the drawing of frames whenever it is possible so you can put some in whenever you need this.
    Iīm not trying to have the bees draw comb in late summer anymore.
    A frame now and then given works better for me. The spring comb (mostly drone comb) I use for honey storing, the summer comb for expanding brood nests.
    But itīs only a small operation I have with 13 hives.

So when are you going to expand to 25 hives and start selling local nucs of your
    tf bees?
    Yep, when they are in the winter storing mood they will not draw any comb no matter how much
    you feed them to back filled the brood nest. This has been my experience all along locally all these
    years. When they are in winter mood with the change of weather I just let them store what they need
    for the coming winter. Comb drawing will resume next March-April.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    Whether brood gets left out in the cold or not is something the bees can take care of on their own.
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Really?
    Yes. If you follow the thought line of the post prior to my statement, you will see that a beekeeper will do better to be sure the bees have adequate reserves for winter...Feed, add frames of foundation or honey. The priority is adequate reserves. Your bees will manage size of the brood nest.
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Quote Originally Posted by beepro View Post
    So when are you going to expand to 25 hives and start selling local nucs of your
    tf bees?
    Yep, when they are in the winter storing mood they will not draw any comb no matter how much
    you feed them to back filled the brood nest. This has been my experience all along locally all these
    years. When they are in winter mood with the change of weather I just let them store what they need
    for the coming winter. Comb drawing will resume next March-April.
    Maybe never if I have those crashes. Letīs see. I donīt want to have small colonies because I plan always to have splits but I want to have some surplus honey.

Back to topic.
    Because of good flow my bees backfilled the broodnest in summer and therefore I gave them space. This was a good time to let them draw comb, after taking out the honey surplus now and then.
    Brood cell comb can be filled with honey, but honeycomb used in broodnest is filled with drone brood or stores so I rather use a time they build brood comb ( after or while drone breeding).

With my big boxes the colonies will draw only one comb at a time in a fast and perfect way, if I put on a box with foundations only they draw half the foundations and fill them with brood ( or honey).
    This could change with feeding or over the season if they are not weakened by mites or weather conditions.
    But I had foundations which were not totally drawn in fall. This I donīt want to use in winter. ( Remember, I have splits only, no production hives).

To have enough comb is very important for my ( and my co-workers) expansion model ( I give surplus drawn comb not yet used for breeding to newbies in need), so I let draw one after another to take out the drawn and use them for the queenright splits. To give those a break in mite development I make them weak. If they have drawn comb the queen lays like crazy if fed or if donated honey combs.

In late summer suddenly the brood nests are reduced and stores become important. If I would take out filled and capped honey combs they would breed less and less and fill the brood combs, if the flow is good.
    Then they start to shift honey from mediums to brood frames.

They draw comb if they are desperate,knowing they already reduced brood and having not enough comb to store honey.
    But IMHO I believe such forcing is working against nature. I want the bees to nurse winter bee brood and fight the mites, not to draw.

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post
    Brood cell comb can be filled with honey, but honeycomb used in broodnest is filled with drone brood or stores so I rather use a time they build brood comb ( after or while drone breeding).

Ok so if i have a frame plastic foundation of comb that was all honey and I either extracted it or gave it to the bees to eat. Once all gone if I put this in the brood nest the bees would just raise drones? Is that what you are saying here?
    Last edited by Sickdog5; 08-26-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Ok so if i have a frame plastic foundation of comb that was all honey and I either extracted it or gave it to the bees to eat. Once all gone if I put this in the brood nest the bees would just raise drones? Is that what you are saying here?

Depends on the cell size in my eyes. Interesting. How big are your plastic cells?

Not sure they were given to me. Used them last year and never got any drone brood. They did say on website were my father in law got the frames. Consistent and uniform cell depth--less drone comb.

My bees will store 2 parts sugar to 1 part water, they will build comb on 1 to 1 or even 1 part sugar to 2 parts water. I use foundationless deeps and place empty combs between brood combs. I feed constantly this time of year which is a dearth here.

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post

I have a piece of 1.5" thick foam insulation tucked up inside the telecover all year long, but if I didn't I would add one specifically while feeding to prevent moisture damage to the underside of the telecover from being above the open syrup 24/7. You can buy matching styrofoam covers to use instead of your wooden telecover, (and I did so, too, at first), but why buy an extra $20 piece of equipment when your year-round telecover insulation

Nancy
    What do you use to cut foam. I tried a utility knife and didn't do a great job. Ripped a lot of it instead of cutting

What do you use to cut foam. I tried a utility knife and didn't do a great job. Ripped a lot of it instead of cutting
    1. "New utility knife" the type that you can extend as deep as the foam. Don't try to cut it in one move, it'll take several depending on the thickness.

2. Drywall/Sheetrock saw works well, but leaves a ragged edge

3. Hand held Jig Saw...also leaves a ragged edge

I've done it using all of the above and still go back to a utility knife as described.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast