Dadant Extractors - Any issues? (Radial 6 or 12)

Default Dadant Extractors - Any issues? (Radial 6 or 12)

Does anyone have experience with 18" diameter ranger or 24" diameter 12 frame (they call it 6-12) extractor? Good or bad?

I am researching between Dadant and Maxant this week but only Dadant answered their phone and replied with questions on email. I am looking for an extractor to easily extract from a dozen hives that I have now and be able to handle extraction when/if I add more hives in the future.

On the 18" 6-frame radials, the maxant has thicker steel but weaker motor and weird transmission. Maxant has no equivalent to Dadant's 24" extractor. And, I don't want more than 24" diameter.

Advise on Dadant? Any others to consider?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Dadant Extractors - Any issues? (Radial 6 or 12)

I bought a used Dadant about 10 years ago. It's what they are calling their Ranger, or the 6 frame radial extractor. I think it was probably about six years old when the previous owner sold it to me (although I think he probably bought it used from someone else). The extractor I purchased was a hand crank model, where the previous owner made a plywood/wood "platform/stand" for it, and hooked it up to a homemade motor. An odd contraption, and isn't variable in speed, but I picked it and 6 double deep hives up for $300. Tough to beat.

I fluctuate between 25-50 hives now, and just finished extracting almost 1,000 lbs out of that thing. I outgrew the extractor probably 4 years ago, but I'm a cheap sob that doesn't want to buy a bigger extractor (although this winter I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger). Considering I've overworked the HECK out of that extractor, and considering it has been jerry rigged to dickens and back, the extractor works fantastically. The main crank shaft is starting to grind a little, but I believe that has more to do with the "modifications" and "heavier than anticipated use" than the extractor itself. If I continued to use it as a hand extractor, or bought their motor unit, I have no doubt there would be no wear whatsoever. But the main part of the extractor shows no wear whatsoever. I have no doubt I could sell the extractor now (even without the homemade nonsense) for $500 in under 48 hours.

A very quality piece of equipment.

I've heard fantastic things about Maxant, although I haven't owned one of their extractors. Maxant and Dadant extractors hold their value well. I've been looking for a used 18 or 20 frame Maxant or Dadant, and I can't find one for less than $100 of the new price. If that says anything to you.

I currently own a Maxant 20 and have used a Maxant 3100P (rented unit) and really liked both. The Maxant 3100p I rented was quite nice. Very portable. My main qualm with it was I couldn't run deep frames radially and had to flip them 2x (slow first side, fast second, fast first side). I also don't like the way the 3100p holds medium frames radially (image below). If the comb isn't cut down to the frame you'll have issues.

Is the 2" diameter increase between the Dadant 6-12 (24" dia) and the Maxant 20 (26" dia) really a deal breaker? I totally get not wanting a giant one, but if you're willing to consider the Dadant 6-12 I think the Maxant 20 is in the same ballpark.

The issue I have with the Dadant Ranger is that if you want to extract deep frames you need to buy and install a second basket. For me, that would be a deal breaker. The extra $92 for the basket is no big deal, but hate the switching back and forth. If you run all mediums then perhaps its a non-issue.

I was in the same camp a few months ago. For me, the order went Maxant 20=Dadant 20>Dadant 6-12>Maxant 3100p>Powered Ranger. I ended up buying the Maxant 20. In hindsight, perhaps the Dadant 20 may have been a better option because I struggle getting that 10th deep frame into the Maxant 20, but I prefer the legs and the motor of the Maxant 20.

What number of hives or amount of honey would you think too much for the 6-frame extractor? While I am getting better, I average 40+ pounds per hive and think I will limit myself to 10-12 hives. This year with 7 hives I got ## 308 on the first extraction. I may have another extraction for maybe # 50-100 from a total of 8 hives. Next year if everyone lives and the ##/hive stays the same I expect on the order of 500-600 pounds from a 10-12 hives.

There are people on this board who will tell you that they extract literally thousands of pounds of honey with a 3 or 4 frame hand-crank extractor. I personally think they're a bit crazy, but for them the time spent isn't a big deal. For me, what it really came down to is will I enjoy this sideliner/hobby more if I spend a little bit more on a bigger extractor and spend less time extracting and never have to flip a deep frame again.

Is a 20 frame extractor WAY bigger than I need for ~15-25 hives? Absolutely, but I can be done extracting in an afternoon instead of spreading it out over several days. For me, the time saved is worth the couple extra hundred dollars. My end goal is to get to 50 hives and having the ability to quickly extract those is key.

If you only extract mediums and either enjoy extracting or time isn't worth as much to you, then I think the powered ranger is the best bet for you. If you want to get it done with quickly or you need to extract deep frames, then either the Dadant 6-12 or the Maxant 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Munson View Post
    What number of hives or amount of honey would you think too much for the 6-frame extractor?
    Well, I don't think my current 41 hives (22 of which I took honey from) or 1,000 lbs of honey is too much for the extractor. If that helps.

My extractor is wearing down a little because it's "modified" by a hillbilly (not me, although I may be a hillbilly, IDK), not because of the number of hives or amount of honey run through it. But even as it's wearing down, I could probably get another 3-4 years out of it before the shaft grinds off. Then weld a replacement shaft and be good to go for another 10 years.

But as GoodyFarms put it, it's really the time commitment that is the factor. When I had 5 hives I would do all my extracting in one evening (usually the Saturday before 4th of July, I made a thing out of it). It took me a few hours (maybe 4 to 6) and I was done. Took my time, drank beers, had a good old time. When I got more hives, the time commitment became more (6 frames at a time, 15-20 min per time, 25 supers . . . 10 to 12 hours, not counting clean up or deep frame extraction). I would stretch it into an all nighter, starting on Friday when I got home from work and going till I was done, usually 4-6 am. It was fun once or twice, then not so much. Then I grew to the point that I couldn't possibly do it all in one night. Now I have to break it up into a dozen or so 2-6 hour "blasts." If I had a 20 frame extractor, I could cut the time down almost to where I could do it in one day and be done with it.

For you, if you have 400 pounds and you're extracting, say 16 supers, or 160 frames, that makes 27 rounds with a 6 frame extractor. 8 rounds with a 20 frame extractor. 15 minutes a round makes for 7 hours on a 6 frame extractor, and 2 hours on a 20 frame extractor. Is the extra 5 hours, per year, worth it for you to have the extra space taken up, and the extra money?

But look at where you will be, not where you are. If you're going to stay the same size, analyze it based on that. If you think you'll grow, analyze it based on where you think you'll be.

I have 3 distinct flows, so I pull honey 3 times and keep it separated, but I'm gonna put a total of 1200 or so pounds through my maxant 3100p this year.

With this years increases, I'm in the market for bigger equipment though.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Maxant and Dadant both have the same thickness SS. 20 guage. Although Dadant uses a higher quality SS, type 304. If Maxant used type 304 SS you can be sure that they would tout that feature. Maxant doesn't have a transmission, just a motor, v-belt and pulley.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Warren View Post
    Maxant and Dadant both have the same thickness SS. 20 guage. Although Dadant uses a higher quality SS, type 304. If Maxant used type 304 SS you can be sure that they would tout that feature. Maxant doesn't have a transmission, just a motor, v-belt and pulley.
    The Dadant Ranger is actually thinner 24 gauge stainless vs the Maxant's 20 gauge. It's a noticeable difference. http://bluetoad.com/publication/index.php?i=287232&m=10420&l=1?ref=binfind.com/web&p=82&pre=#{%22page%22:82,%22issue_id%22:383800 }

I'd go with the Maxant 20 with the belt drive. It's very smooth and infinitely variable, a very rugged unit that will extract shallow, medium, and deep without modifications.

Thank you rkereid for correcting my error. ( I was thinking about the 20 frame units).

Drove 3 hours to dadant today to buy an extractor. Looked them over. Tinked the steel. Thought a bit off kilter but figured I would watch them spin and get it done. When plugged in and ran for a bit, I cancelled the sale and drove home. They ran that poorly. The ranger not sure why it was unbalanced. I can see it's not centered, does not seem to be aligned perpendicular to the shaft at bottom or top, not equal on each side and not round. The 24" had a misaligned shaft and nothing was centered. You could see the shaft move right than left going around slowly. At this point i'm thinking wtf and start troubleshooting. The plates where the frames sit not aligned consistently. As if we throw one here than another one there. welds (yea I know what good welds look like and even what food grade welding looks like). When slow you could see the shaft wobble and the basket shift a half inch while going around. When run fast the whole things were wobbling empty. I sold my 30 year old 24" dadant tangent extractor and it ran really smooth empty. Paused driving on the edge of Hamilton and ordered a Maxant.

I have a Dadant 6/12 and have had zero problems with it. Motor is very strong and quiet. I have not had any issues with poor welds or unbalanced parts.

appalachian outdoors: I drove across the state with the intent to buy the 6/12 but after looking walked away. Could be the demo units are rejects. But, they have been there a few years. Imagine yours if the shaft support was not centered, frame rests were randomized a bit and all the support rings off kilter. My old dadant was a beast but a smooth powerful beast.

Quote Originally Posted by Munson View Post
    appalachian outdoors: I drove across the state with the intent to buy the 6/12 but after looking walked away. Could be the demo units are rejects. But, they have been there a few years. Imagine yours if the shaft support was not centered, frame rests were randomized a bit and all the support rings off kilter. My old dadant was a beast but a smooth powerful beast.
    Munson, not diagreeing with your purchase or assessment and review. I would have done the same. I have no loyalty of Dadant vs. Maxant either. It's just Dadant branch is 55 miles away. My review was just for information for anyone considering the Dadant 6/12.