MAQS Application

Default MAQS Application

This is my first time using Mite Away. The instructions say to open the entrance way completely. My question is does this apply with screen bottom boards as well. I an concerned about robbing.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: MAQS Application

Yes, leave the entrance completely open with screened bottom boards too. However, do not keep the screened bottom open. Put the slide in covering the screened bottom. I have never found any robbing when MAQS in being used. The robbers do not like the fumes either and will stay away. Keeping the screened bottom closed gives you a nice place to put a sticky pad so you can see what your mite drop is.

Quote Originally Posted by dudelt View Post
    Yes, leave the entrance completely open with screened bottom boards too. However, do not keep the screened bottom open. Put the slide in covering the screened bottom. I have never found any robbing when MAQS in being used. The robbers do not like the fumes either and will stay away. Keeping the screened bottom closed gives you a nice place to put a sticky pad so you can see what your mite drop is.
    Thanks, If I di not do this is there the consequence of killing the queen.

The manufacturer has excellent instructions on their web page. They can be found at: http://nodglobal.com/.

Yes, you do risk killing the queen with MAQS, especially if you apply it incorrectly. But you run that risk by not treating the hive too. In fact, you run that risk every time you inspect the hive. Be sure to apply MAQS correctly and it will minimize the risks.

Closing the SBB is important because otherwise you may not get a good mite kill since the vapors will leave the hive prematurely. Not closing the SBB just weakens the treatment considerably, it doesn't harm the queen.

If you are worried about robbing, then use robber screens.

It's only a week.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by enjambres View Post
    Closing the SBB is important because otherwise you may not get a good mite kill since the vapors will leave the hive prematurely. Not closing the SBB just weakens the treatment considerably, it doesn't harm the queen.

If you are worried about robbing, then use robber screens.

It's only a week.

Nancy
    Thanks everyone. I have just removed the entrances and installed the sbb inserts with sticky paper. The miteaway has been in the hive for 2 days hopefully I haven't done any damage. The bees are active and not showing signs of being queenless. I read the instructions but there was nothing about SBB so I used my logic that ventilation was the key and that restricting the entrance would deter robbing. Our golden rod flow is just starting .