Where to you buy your sugar?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to you buy your sugar?

Hello! I'm going though a minimum of 50# of sugar per week. I just started open feeding today and they went through a gallon in a couple of hours. I'm getting it at Costco now, but it's getting expensive. Where you you buy your sugar?

Sonja

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Where to you buy your sugar?

where ever it's cheapest

why open feed this time of year?

sams has beet sugar for $.50 a pound.

BJ's Wholesale Club: 25# of Domino's cane sugar for $12.49 last week (a tad less than 50 cents/lb.) I bought 300 lbs. to add to the 250 I already have on hand. I expect to feed 400-500 lbs over the next six weeks.

However I know it is all going into my own hives since I use hive top feeders on each stack. Open feeding is an open invitation to management, pest and disease issues I'd rather not have. Not to mention you're feeding all comers. Sugar is cheaper than honey, but sugar is not cheap enough to make filling other people's hives worthwhile.

Nancy

I wait until almost the beginning of the major Holidays. By then the local
    food stores have them on sale. Last year I didn't bought that many because of
    too embarrassing hauling the .25 cents sugar out. Got almost 150 lbs. then. This
    year will be ordering by the pallet at that price. Almost sugar canes harvesting time. Still
    have more than half of last year's stocks. Did not feed that much this year. Saving them for
    winter sugar bricks feeding instead of syrup.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

BJ's at slightly less than $0.50 /lb.

When I looked into buying in bulk, the savings weren't significantly less (ended up being about $0.45 /lb or so), unless you went pallet size. Then you needed to get a custom quote.

I've heard of people picking up "spilled sugar" from refineries for half that, or less. Downside is the quantity isn't that steady, so you have to stock up when you can. To me the storage issue would cost more than the savings.

Locally, I buy a Food Lion product ("Cha-Ching"; no joke) at $1.60/4 lb. Not a bad deal. The bees don't really care a lot if it's not the pricy Domino's brand.

Another BJ's buyer..... Haven't been able to find anyplace local where I can buy it cheaper in bulk...
    Since '12 Zone 7a 42.25N 71.00W 17H OAV Amitraz
    Seaside Apiaries

costco for me is $22.50 per 50# bag.

Local Walmart is now offering 25# bag for only $8.78 each so just a bit over 35 cents per pound.

I don't get how one Walmart does that, it's $14 for a 25 pound bag of the great value stuff here

Sonja, i have recently found out by experience, that open feeding, I go through twice as much sugar than internally feeding. And im not exaggerating either.
    Try it, youll see.

Wild-b, I too was seeing everyone post that price at their walmart, when mine was still 13.00. But, last week, mine came down too. Keep looking.

But to answer the op. I get about 2 sales per year here around the holiday baking season, for .25 lb.
    I have yet to see a better deal and even seen people brag about paying .35 cents for floor sweepings.
    I get it for .25 cents and get to uss it for me as well.

One down side this year was, a colony of ants found my stash.
    www.facebook.com/hives2honey Oxalic Vaporizers, supplement and more!!!!!! Check me out.

Bloomberg just reported world sugar production to rise to record on brazil, europe crops. Sounds like we may have some better prices coming...
    A different link found on production here https://www.agra-net.com/agra/intern...etener-report/

Just stopped at costco on the way home from work and loaded up 500# @ .44/lb.

There is a guy in Ohio, real close to Mich and Indiana that sells on craigslist for low 2o's (cents) a lb on craigslist.

Not sure how much you need to buy, but good for a club split

Quote Originally Posted by edzkoda View Post
    There is a guy in Ohio, real close to Mich and Indiana that sells on craigslist for low 2o's (cents) a lb on craigslist.

Not sure how much you need to buy, but good for a club split
    You have anymore info, I can't find the ad.

There is a guy in canal Fulton Ohio that was selling 12-1400 sacks of sugar for 20 cents a pd. I'm trying to find his ad on cl. He was selling swarm boxes also. I'm going to email him back and see if I can get a phone number.

Quote Originally Posted by schmism View Post
    why open feed this time of year?

sams has beet sugar for $.50 a pound.
    I have top bar hives and was running out of space for the food container in the hive. I also was having to open up the hive everyday to refill and they were getting very aggressive. 2 out of 3 of my hives have almost no space left, so I am rigging something else up to sit on top of the bars so I can feed inside the hive, but 2 of my hives have a very shallow roof pitch.

Open feeding was interesting. I was feeding in the opposite side of the yard so I didn't see any evidence or robbing happening in the hives. My bees calmed down to their mellow selves and stopped stinging me. Even though it was a lot more sugar, it was worth it. I slowly fed less and less and now that the goldenrod is blooming, I'm only putting out 1.5 gallons of syrup every other day. We had a few weeks of having bees everywhere in the back yard, but they weren't aggressive anymore so it was no big deal.

On to figure out how to feed them in the winter! Since this was our first year and they were building out their comb, I will feed much less next year. Right?

I have 2 friends in the restaurant business and they suggested restaurant depot. I am going to check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by cbay View Post
    Bloomberg just reported world sugar production to rise to record on brazil, europe crops. Sounds like we may have some better prices coming...
    A different link found on production here https://www.agra-net.com/agra/intern...etener-report/
    Interesting... Looks like Irma took some cane in Cuba

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast