Honesty Stands - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honesty Stands

Default Re: Honesty Stands

That's great. Looks like you put the money hole right into the side of your house...very committed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

For those who doubt honor stands...

Just picked up our mail yesterday and had a really nice letter from a total stranger in a totally different state, and a check for $15.
    The letter was awesome, basically along the lines that they were so super excited with our stand and they really wanted to buy all this stuff and didn't quite have enough cash so they left us what cash they had and decided they would mail the rest later. And thankyou so much of having such an awesome display yada yada yada.

Beautiful experience and a total surprise. We used to keep a close enough inventory to know when something went missing (which was next to never), but we dont anymore, so we had no idea. Humans CAN be really wonderful sometimes.

Apricot........
    I have never seen an honor stand for honey but did for many years buy straw from a lady with a coffee can for the money sitting on her front porch. I believe that most people are good. I also believe that some are not but most times honor stands like yours are not left alone with enough stuff to really set a guy back that much. I bet you have found extra money once or twice also when somebody miss counted or did not have proper change. This is comeing from a guy who has never taken the keys out of his car though.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

http://2guysandahive.com/where-to-buy/ Scroll down the page to see what my honor stand looks like. It's the only place where I sell my honey and I've been doing it three years now. I loose about 2-3% to theft which is MUCH better than the 40% discount I give/loose when I used to sell via distribution.
    Ninja, is not in the dictionary. Well played Ninja's, well played...

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Arthur View Post
    That's great. Looks like you put the money hole right into the side of your house...very committed.
    not a big deal, it drops into an unfinished garage, I have a rubber maid container there. On the months the stand is not there I painted a house number sign with gold letters that covers the hole.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

http://imgur.com/oa0jTz7

http://imgur.com/ISc3xuR

Ok I made mine last weekend, it's the Amish shed style little free library. it's in my back fence within view of a hiking trail, so it should get some traffic. I also included a photo of my label, which I'm pretty happy with. thanks for all the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Nhaupt2 View Post
    http://imgur.com/oa0jTz7

http://imgur.com/ISc3xuR

Ok I made mine last weekend, it's the Amish shed style little free library. it's in my back fence within view of a hiking trail, so it should get some traffic. I also included a photo of my label, which I'm pretty happy with. thanks for all the advice!
    That looks good. Do you print your own labels or did you order them from somewhere?

Thanks Scott. i designed it with the tools provided at Avery.com and then bought their stickers off of amazon and printed them myself. It was a little pricey, and im sure that once you account for the price of ink you might as well have them do it. i know there was a lady who used to advertise here who had good prices on labels, i wonder if she could print them off if i provide the pdf of the template. Anybody remember her name?

Avery.com does look a little pricey. I ran some very quick numbers based on one of their basic sizes/shapes. 50 labels would run $223.53 ($4.47 each). 500 would run $246.63 ($0.49 each). 5,000 would run $473.01 ($0.09 each). Those are based on their basic label material. Nothing special.

I had my labels (front and back) designed by a graphic design artist out of europe. He did a good job, and it wasn't that expensive. I had my labels run from StickerGiant.com. 500 labels set me back about $105 (or about $0.21 each). If I went with 5,000 it would be about $0.09 each. And those prices are for a custom shape, with waterproof, weather proof, and UV resistant labels. Not the cheapest you can find, but really good quality and a very good price.

I've used Stickeryou.com in the past too. Their prices are a little bit better than StickerGiant (and there is an add in ABJ for 10% off too, I believe). But StickerYou gives you a little bit of a hard time with labels on rolls. They prefer sheets. And the proof structure from StickerYou is a little bit not so user friendly (one set of labels I ordered looked crisp in the proof, but the print came back a little fuzzy).

Quote Originally Posted by D Coates View Post
    http://2guysandahive.com/where-to-buy/ Scroll down the page to see what my honor stand looks like. It's the only place where I sell my honey and I've been doing it three years now. I loose about 2-3% to theft which is MUCH better than the 40% discount I give/loose when I used to sell via distribution.

I thought of D when I saw this post... I spoke with him in PM about the issue a few years ago. I have a great lot at a 4-way intersection. I spoke to the local police about the idea and they were ROTFLAO... well I stopped there. Seems the locals walk right by the stand location on the way to the crack house Reading this I may give mankind a chance.
    sc-bee

Quote Originally Posted by ApricotApiaries View Post
    For those who doubt honor stands...

Just picked up our mail yesterday and had a really nice letter from a total stranger in a totally different state, and a check for $15.
    The letter was awesome, basically along the lines that they were so super excited with our stand and they really wanted to buy all this stuff and didn't quite have enough cash so they left us what cash they had and decided they would mail the rest later. And thankyou so much of having such an awesome display yada yada yada.

Beautiful experience and a total surprise. We used to keep a close enough inventory to know when something went missing (which was next to never), but we dont anymore, so we had no idea. Humans CAN be really wonderful sometimes.
    Love your stand and love this story. We were in New Hampshire and came across an honor booth for strawberry jam. It was super cute.
    Your area looks very rural from the picture, I can imagine being a tourist and driving down this road with a beautiful view of the mountains and stumbling upon your lovely stand. It must be a real treat for folks.

We keep expanding what we put in it and last week my wife sent a quick text that said somebody had stolen everything. It turned out to be ‘one of everything’ but I figure the cost of a security camera system would be about what they could steal and it would work all year.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Very few people are willing to steal from a farmer. Most of those that do I assume wouldn't care much about getting caught on camera. If you catch them on camera, then what? Call the police over $35 of stolen honey (or even $100)? I doubt they'll do much to hunt down the culprit. If they do, the odds are they didn't have $35 to give you, so you're chasing an empty pocket. Assuming the cops don't catch them, what are your remedies? You can find them yourself (perhaps from their license plate?) and file a lawsuit against them. Filing fee in NC for a small claims action is $96, plus a $30 service fee. So you're out of pocket $126, even if you win, in attempting to collect $35. Again, that assumes they have the money to pay you anyway. The only time it becomes worthwhile (in my opinion) is when you lost $500+ of product. At that point, why are you keeping that much inventory at an honor stand?

In the end, in my opinion it isn't worth chasing someone down, or installing a camera (or even a dummy camera) for either evidence purposes or to "scare" potential theft away. Instead, the camera takes away from the authentic feel. Never keep more at your honor stand than you feel comfortable losing. If you show up and its gone, shrug your shoulders and move on. "Shrinkage" is a cost of doing business. Factor it into the price. If it happens too often, stop the honor stand.

And that's what I tell customers. My stand stays there as long as theft doesn't become an issue. Once it does, it's gone. Most of my customers respond with concern.

I use my kids old Little Tikes wagon with the removable sides. I live in a subdivision that is a cut through between 2 main roads. I usually wheel the wagon down to the end of the driveway on the weekends and some weekday evenings. I put a coffee can out to hold the money. Most of the time I only sell a jar or 2. I had someone steal the money once, but that was because I didn't bring the wagon up to the house until after dark. I figured it was some neighborhood kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Specialkayme View Post
    Very few people are willing to steal from a farmer.
    Maybe so in a rural setting. My area is rural but the stand would be right on the corner at a 4 way stop in town limits. A very prime location. The folks that perhaps would steal probably don't even know bees make honey (it comes of the store shelf) must less see it as a type of framing I get your point about the camera and only stocking what you can lose...
    sc-bee

I have had my stand up for a little over a month now, between porch pick up sales and the stand we have moved around 110 pounds of honey, which I'm pretty happy about. I have had two incidents of theft however, which is pretty discouraging, once where somebody took a 2lb bottle of honey and another time where the wooden box I screwed into the inside was broken into and 40 dollars was stolen. not the end of the world, but it does make me feel pretty disappointed in some people. I do worry that it will get robbed again by the same person since it happend in broad daylight. what are y'all using for cash enclosures?

what are y'all using for cash enclosures?
    A homemade wooden box with a hinge lid, brash clasp, and combo padlock. A slot is cut into the top to slide the bills in. The paint on the stand was a little tacky when I put the wooden box down, so it sticks a little, but is not bolted down. I tell everyone it is though

Water association gave me permission yesterday to put up a stand for next year.

Would love to see a variety of designs, I've got time to put real thought into this.
    Instrumental Insemination & Northern VSH Queens

what are y'all using for cash enclosures?
    Mine just drops into the garage.

And as for 'loosing the homey feel' by putting up a camera (real or fake) I don't think that is why most shop here. They want a local product, good quality, decent price.
    My high end muth jars have been moving slower this year not that I have a one pound queen line (new distributor down the street). I am hoping that once the farmers markets wrap up for the year that the sales will pick up on these as well as the candles.

IMG_0104.jpg
    Customers appreciate our honesty and our trust towards others. We just use a small wooden box for money and take the extra cash out several times a day(if around). When our kids were growing up, they had an honor sweet corn stand for years, and thought we try honey. Positive response. We close and lock doors at night. IF severe weather, I do pull inside shop.
    A little about wagon..we used some logs sitting around for 5 yrsfrom our woods and decided to have some rough sawed (oak and English walnut) already had the old steel wheel running gear. Just "winged" the plans as we went. Turned out great!
    Last edited by Farmer4; 10-09-2017 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Picture upside down

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast