One Angry Bee

Thread: One Angry Bee

Default One Angry Bee

Sheesh, I have 5 colonies, did an OAV a couple days ago, a brief inspection yesterday and only manipulated frames in one hive. Today one angry bee chased me around 75 feet from the hives, she buzzed, bumped, and followed me around. She did this three times. Tomorrow I have to do some work in the area, again, about 75 feet from the hives, and I hope she just stings me and ends this silliness. I must have triggered her inner lunatic, she's the only angry bee. I suited up today and went near the hives, in front of them, beside them..., not one other bee paid any attention at all me, all as usual very gentle. Well, she'll have access to me tomorrow, hope she just gets it over with.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: One Angry Bee

I've met bees like that. You got her personally ticked off somehow and she seems to be part elephant and won't forget. For the length of a bee's memory, anyway.

Reminds me of an ex....

The same thing happened to me about a month ago. She kept bugging us on our patio and we were expecting company for an outdoor bbq. After failing to kill her, I stopped running inside when she attacked and let her sting me. I caught her and oddly, she did not die for hours later. I thought they were supposed to die almost immediately after stinging. J

Quote Originally Posted by Hops Brewster View Post
    I've met bees like that. You got her personally ticked off somehow and she seems to be part elephant and won't forget. For the length of a bee's memory, anyway.

Reminds me of an ex....
    Yeah, might'a stepped on her sister or something. I'm hoping this bee's memory is much, much shorter than your ex.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivej View Post
    The same thing happened to me about a month ago. She kept bugging us on our patio and we were expecting company for an outdoor bbq. After failing to kill her, I stopped running inside when she attacked and let her sting me. I caught her and oddly, she did not die for hours later. I thought they were supposed to die almost immediately after stinging. J
    I've been out hunting post holes this morning, no sign of her yet but it's early here still. If she shows up I'll just put my glasses on and take the sting, I'm due anyway, been about a month. I don't care how long she takes to die, she has but one stinger.
    5 Production colonies, 1 side by side 5 frame nuc for support- 7 working queens is all I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Grins View Post
    Sheesh, I have 5 colonies, did an OAV a couple days ago, a brief inspection yesterday and only manipulated frames in one hive. Today one angry bee chased me around 75 feet from the hives, she buzzed, bumped, and followed me around. She did this three times. Tomorrow I have to do some work in the area, again, about 75 feet from the hives, and I hope she just stings me and ends this silliness. I must have triggered her inner lunatic, she's the only angry bee. I suited up today and went near the hives, in front of them, beside them..., not one other bee paid any attention at all me, all as usual very gentle. Well, she'll have access to me tomorrow, hope she just gets it over with.
    She is a reincarnated ex wife. It's so obvious, I thought you'd figure that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    She is a reincarnated ex wife. It's so obvious, I thought you'd figure that one out.
    But, I'm still working on my starter wife, she's still around after 35 years. It must be some one else's ex just mad at the world, the one I'm in.

I did not specify YOUR ex wife. I am happy for you choosing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I did not specify YOUR ex wife. I am happy for you choosing well.
    I chose well, the jury's still out on whether she did.

It happened to me once, a single bee bugging me for several days in the yard. It was going to die one way or another, and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. The tennis racquet only made it mad enough to commit to the deed and it got me between the eyes.

I had one chase me around the back yard about 40 yards from the hives. As soon as I went to one corner of the yard there she was in my face. I finally hit her with some spray and the yard was peaceful again.
    When I first got my bees I had one attack me from about 50' away when I walked out of the front door. I saw her leave the hive and make a beeline for my face. She tagged me on the eyebrow but didn't leave a stinger and then chased me back into the house. Next day they were all happy.

I am on my first wife too but that does't mean she is not bribing some bee with sugar water.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Quote Originally Posted by DanielD View Post
    It happened to me once, a single bee bugging me for several days in the yard. It was going to die one way or another, and it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. The tennis racquet only made it mad enough to commit to the deed and it got me between the eyes.
    Yeowch! She's back, I'll keep my glasses on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hancock View Post
    I had one chase me around the back yard about 40 yards from the hives. As soon as I went to one corner of the yard there she was in my face. I finally hit her with some spray and the yard was peaceful again.
    When I first got my bees I had one attack me from about 50' away when I walked out of the front door. I saw her leave the hive and make a beeline for my face. She tagged me on the eyebrow but didn't leave a stinger and then chased me back into the house. Next day they were all happy.
    Hmm, spray..., she's back. I was able to hunt for post holes all morning, funny how they are all buried 2 feet deep, unbothered. I had to do a bit of grinding and the moment I shut the grinder down her belligerent buzz filled my ears. I stood there for a couple minutes and she wouldn't land and sting me but followed me as I walked away. She hates grinders..., and me.

Quote Originally Posted by gww View Post
    I am on my first wife too but that does't mean she is not bribing some bee with sugar water.
    Cheers
    gww
    Hmm, come to think of it, it was my Sweet Baboo who last filled the syrup jars.

I squash them. no big deal.

There is always that one bee. Do the deed.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Arbol View Post
    I squash them. no big deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthTexasJohn View Post
    There is always that one bee. Do the deed.
    You're both quicker than me, she never landed, never gave me a chance. To nail her in flight would be well beyond my cat (the machine, not the animal) like reflexes.

I've had bees like that, and in just about every case, I had managed to crush a bee while manipulating frames. This may be a bee that was in close proximity to the crushing, and got a face full of alarm pheromones.

Or I crushed her BFF.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebee View Post
    I've had bees like that, and in just about every case, I had managed to crush a bee while manipulating frames. This may be a bee that was in close proximity to the crushing, and got a face full of alarm pheromones.

Or I crushed her BFF.
    Yeah, I offended her, no doubt. She is either over it or dead now, she has not been to see me today.

its pretty common, easily in summer/fall/early spring. I could wear no gear during the flow.

Whats uncommmon is 75ft, yeah they may chase you that far if you were near the hive, but ive never had a bee comeafter when i was 75 ft away. Maybe 25ft max. Usually they seek out farther when they are pissed off, like skunks messing with them at night, or you just did an inspection or robbing going on.

My bees must be reading this thread. Came home today and there was a single bee in my driveway that was hell bent on stinging me. My apiary is ~200 feet away and I never went near it...she just must have remembered how I just stole all her honey last weekend and wanted payback!