Mann Lake's mill run hiveware
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mann Lake's mill run hiveware

Has anyone had any experience with Mann Lake's mill run hiveware ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Mann Lake's mill run hiveware

I have bought lots of there budget and commercial grade boxes. Everything I have assembled from them so far has been serviceable. I would assume the mill run is mostly a mix of budget and commercial grade. I feel like they do a good job of sourcing there pine. On the other hand, I have heard some of my commercial buddies bad mouth there wood in the past. Who knows, maybe they skipped the glue, and wondered why they warped?

I buy my boxes from Bliss or Western Bee. They are Ponderosa Pine. I think they last a lot better than boxes built from Eastern White Pine that Mann Lake uses. I bought 300 migatory tops from them about 4 years ago and they are already rotting out.

If its honey super that are only out a few months per year it wont matter as much, but if hive bodies I would think twice.

Johnny
    "Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

All the covers I have bought from Mann Lake are junk! I started to return them due to gaps and warped wood but really needed them at the time. They are only a year old and are beginning to rot. I'm in the process of replacing all this fall. The boxes I've bought at the same time are holding up good with no complaints. Yes, I painted with two coats of primer and two coats of paint. Too many gaps between mating surfaces.

I used ponderosa pine to build my own boxes when I started beekeeping in 1969. I use cypress today. My first cypress equipment was purchased in 1996. Most of the cypress is still serviceable today. Eastern white pine is good for 5 to 8 years, ponderosa pine will make it 10 to 12, and cypress will last about 20 years. This presumes good quality paint is used and that the equipment is maintained. Albert Zook sells cypress Langstroth deep boxes for $11 each unassembled.
    NW Alabama, 50 years, 20 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest

I agree, there tongue and groove lids are junk. All of mine are warped and twisted. I was ready to throw them all out, but decided to slip propolis traps under all the junk lids to cut down on the robbing. The money I've made from the propolis harvested off the traps will pay for my new lids.

Quote Originally Posted by JpArnoldApiaries View Post
    Has anyone had any experience with Mann Lake's mill run hiveware ?
    Jump on the deal on mill run boxes. No one else will give you that price with free shipping. $8.50 a box, minimum quantity is 36! Usually you'd have to buy 1000 or more plus you'd be stuck with freight.

I buy budget boxes every year when the have the sale on them 8dollars a box and free shipping. Hard to beat the price once painted they look like any other box and bees don't care what the box looks like.

Tip for those of you that are not aware and sounds like it to me. Rotting wood in 1 to 4 yrs for a lid is not sealed wood. Rain getting in and expansion and contraction with sun damage too. Take painters caulk and seal up your boxes where all the gaps are. Including the joints on the sides. Do the inside too. Paint it twice and it's pretty much sealed 100% so water isn't able to get inside and do damage over time.

You might have to wait on your box order fyi. But definitely worth it. I haven't had any I could not use. some were ugly but i'm not vain neither are the bees. Make sure you have some place to store 30 boxes. The fedex guy will hate you
    Terrence

I can't speak as to the life of the boxes, but I just received a pallet of 36 medium mill run boxes from Mann lake and my first impressions are positive. There are knots but none I've seen so far are loose. They don't appear to be warped or miss-cut in any way, but I'll find out more when I assemble them. For the price ($6.75 ea delivered), it's a steal at that small of a volume. They came on a pallet and shipping (Fedex Freight) must have cost them $50-100. My fedex guy was super nice...and quite happy when I gave him a mini bear of honey. He deserved it by dragging that pallet down my fairly long driveway!

My pallet arrived last week and my driver was very nice - said he had 5-6 pallets of bee boxes on his truck that day! Good to know others are keeping bees around as well.

I greatly appreciate everyone's response.
    So far I've ordered quite a few of budget boxes from Mann Lake, with no issues so far. So, I look forward to receiving their Mill-run boxes.
    Once again, thank you.

I did 72 deeps and 72 mediums. I figured the worst ones I would pull out and reform with some wood putty etc. The remainder I will sell back to other beekeepers in the area and recoup my money. That's my strategy at least. Still waiting for the delivery.

I have ordered quite a few of the budget hive bodies. Some of them needed to go across the table saw to make the bottom and top edges even. A few were warped or the finger joints were off and wouldn't work. A call to mannlake and replacements we're at my door in 3 days. The customer service was excellant.

bugger i must have missed this sale...just checked the mannlake website and couldnt find the deal...is it finished?

call them, order over the phone only until 8/31 $7 Shallows, $8.50 Deeps

I hate you guys :-). Just ordered a case of mediums over the phone. I dont now what I am going to do with them. Thank you BTW. Now I need good deal on frames.

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyNJ View Post
    I hate you guys :-). Just ordered a case of mediums over the phone. I dont now what I am going to do with them. Thank you BTW. Now I need good deal on frames.
    On black Friday your wish will come true. Mann Lake will have a big sale on frames and foundations. Save your pennies.

The investment will pay off. Imagine that case of mediums full of honey. Sweet sweet hunny.
    Internet credibility is an oxymoron

Quote Originally Posted by aunt betty View Post
    On black Friday your wish will come true. Mann Lake will have a big sale on frames and foundations. Save your pennies.

The investment will pay off. Imagine that case of mediums full of honey. Sweet sweet hunny.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Will sit tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast