Mann Lake's mill run hiveware - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mann Lake's mill run hiveware

I have bought all 3 grades mannlakes offers, and to be honest I dont know which are which. Budget had a few that i sealed knots up with glue, but none were falling out, just being paranoid. Once I painted them, I can't tell the difference.

I won't buy any but budget now on, they are all good.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

An update now that they are in hand. The cuts are better than the ones from Brushymountain that were premiums/commercial. There were none that were blown out (Where they run the material through the saw without a backer). There are some knots, none were loose. Both sides were planed, not rough on the inner. A few pieces were knot free. I got a complete deep (four pieces) that has a knotty pine almost birdseye look to it. I will tea stain that and seal it with poly and sell it as a part of a complete presentation hive. I have sold almost half of the stock I bought and and am close to completing my payment for inventory. All profit from here. What does not sell will get built into yard stock. I will paint them and prepare them. Some I will sell as complete hives for a better profit, everyone else goes in the yard next spring.

Just curious if I missed the sale this year, or they just didn't have it?
    46.91 N

Woodbridge, VA (But planning to move to NW Louisiana soon)

I've been watching too, there hasn't been anything exciting. I suspect there won't be sales as good as the past, as there isn't as much competition now.

The big sale is usually right after Thanksgiving.

Nah, that can't be right as the mill run sale usually happened before the black Friday one. I guess they aren't doing it this year, so winter project for the Amish guys it is.
    46.91 N

I have bought the budget hive bodies on sale before.After painting I cant tell the difference and wish I had of bought a lot more then.

Unfortunately I wish I had bought a few more pallets the last sale. The boxes I got on the mill run were actually quite good with a lot of 'perfect/clear' ones. Trick I found was making sure that I sorted the pieces by height as the boards shrinking over time (I didn't get em all assembled till a few weeks ago so they had plenty of time to shrink/expand) made the fingers hard to assemble otherwise. But if you just sort as you go by size, they work much nicer. I know, they have the 'budget' 36+, but I don't want 100% defects. I don't mind fixing a loose knot once in a while, but not interested in fixing em all. The Amish were willing to give me a good price for the quantity, especially since I wasn't in a hurry and they could do them in the winter.

That being said, the nuc boxes I got from Humble Abodes were top notch too (even labeled budget), though I found their fingers to be VERY tight. Sorting wasn't necessary here as I assembled most immediately.
    46.91 N

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12