Bubbles in my honey @ 16%

Default Bubbles in my honey @ 16%

I've been struggling for the past year till now every harvest I've made each and every frame has bubbles under the cappings, feels a bit slimy, has a little bitter aftertaste and it doesn't have the great honey aroma I usually get from my previous harvests, I read online and thought it's beetles that have got into my supers, I treated my hives with beetle traps, Swiffer pads and gardstar around hives, got around 3 beetles in the pads and 1 in the trap, I haven't seen many beetles till now during my inspection and I have also kept a frame not harvested in my home to see if any beetle larvae comes out, but no larvae came out of that frame, if you think I leave the supers on for too long it's a no, my previous harvest (extraction) was on the 22 of July and the empty supers were put on 2nd July, the wierd thing was all frames were capped refractometer checked 16%, and all frames had those bubbles?? I have noticed that the brood chamber had also these frames with that bad honey. Could it be the bees are moving that spoiled honey into the supers and mixing it with the good honey so they can fix their brood honey nice and clean? Do bees move honey around in the hive and if I want to fix that should I just clean up that brood chamber honey so they could just refill it with new nectar? Or do I have some other issue does dysentery or other bee related diseases cause honey to become like that? I've wasted alot of honey this year and it's happening in all my hives please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Bubbles in my honey @ 16%

The local flowers might be affecting your honey taste if this is an ongoing issue.
    Will this issue goes away if you move your hives to another out yard next year?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I did move my hives up to the mountains this year and got the same results from all frames even though the frames were dry empty before going up there

Next season put some hives in the mountain and compare the honey from the home yard hives. This way you
    can tell the difference. Hopefully you will find a way to solve this issue. Also sourced some queens from apiaries that
    do not have this honey issue. Keep track of the hives that have the new queens either in the mountain or some at the
    home yard too. Then compare the difference honey taste of the 4 different hives. Eliminate the location, queens or both that
    have this issue. You might have to find location that don't have this issue like the other side of town.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

You might be getting me to the right direction no one told me that a queen can do that I'll requeening them right away as I did notice the hive that had this issue was a pretty strong hive I did requeening all my other hives using this hives swarm cells and open brood frames and after that all my hives had this issue. But can you explain to me how did you figure that out and how does a queen affect honey quality.

We always go for the strongest hive to make splits or grafts from. But rarely do we evaluate or have the
    knowledge to evaluate the production queens before using them on all the hives. I'm not sure whether this queen have the
    genetics issue or not. Or that the mountain flowers have the bad honey that the bees collected. It might be both and the local drones too if you use open mating. You have to use the process of elimination at different location to isolate this issue. Is it the queens issue or the flowers in the mountain that have this issue? When I graft for the production queens in my hives they are evaluated and over winter first and then put in production hives the next season. This way their quality is ensured. I also graft from multiple queens to eliminate the bad genetics if any later on. Been doing this for 5 seasons already so figured that it might be either the genetics or the local flowers issue. Each season I try to sourced queens from reputable apiaries to keep the good genetics around. They have done the hard work for me already! How come honey is not at 18%. Is 16% too low that might caused this issue? I'm not sure as my honey are all cap and passed the nectar frame shake out test.

They might be robbing out a neighbor's partially slimed hives?
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Quote Originally Posted by Branman View Post
    They might be robbing out a neighbor's partially slimed hives?
    what happens to the honey if they rob out a neighbors slimed honey? does the bees clean it up or is bad honey forever?
    I have a trailer park for bees. I think some fancy people call it an apiary.

I don't think they will rob slimed honey.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Just like us we cannot put spoiled food in our body without getting sick without the proper microbes to digest them. The bees know what is good for them too. Slimmed honey is spoiled honey no good for the robber bees anymore. If we cannot use them then I'm sure the bees cannot use them to raise their broods.

It was just an idea. When it comes to bees, I wouldn't be so quick to speak in absolutes.
    Ask two beekeepers, get three answers

Because of uncertainty the OP has to test out his bees and environment.
    Hopefully it is not the bee environment that caused this issue over and over
    every season. Controlling the bees maybe easier than controlling the bee
    environment.