Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

If you treat for mites....

3K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Groundhwg 
#1 ·
If you treat or have thought about treating for mites using Oxalic Acid, now or very soon is a great time to start a series (once every 5-7 days for at least 3 weeks) of Oxalic Acid Vaporization treatments. The reason for the multiple treatments is to kill the existing phoretic (on the bees) mites and kill those mites that will emerge with hatching bees.

This time of the year, the mites are outbreeding the bees and the mite population is exploding. You can start those treatments once you pull your supers or if you’ve yet to pull them, remove them, treat and replace. If you wish, instead of removing them, place a barrier (such as coroplast) between the supers and the brood chamber, treat then remove the barrier OR even another option is to place newspaper between the brood nest and supers, treat and let the bees remove the newspaper!

OAV is not affected by high temperatures. Any temperature above 37 works.

Remember, OA does not harm the brood, bees, queen or contaminate the wax! And according to Jennifer Berry, there is no resistance!

If you don’t want to open and close your hives for other treatments that cost a ton of money; if you don’t mind doing a series of treatments at less than 10cents per treatment and do not require you to open your hives; if you enjoy killing TONS of mites, OAV could be your answer to mites!

See less See more
#2 ·
Could not send via PM as your mail box if full.

Larry,
Good afternoon. Sorry to bother you but wanted to receive my information from someone with knowledge, that I trust. I use the Savogran brand oxalic acid wood bleach for my OAV treatments. I bought a 12 oz. tub last year and still have about ¼ of the tub left. Bought a second/new tub a couple of weeks ago, so my question. Is there a shelf life on this product? Will complete my late summer treatment next week with my forth weekly mite “attack”. The tub purchased last year has been kept dry and cool and is still burning quickly so is there a need to start using from the new container? If so how should I discard the unused portion from the old tub?
Thanks for your help and information.
Best regards, Greg

#3 ·
Could not send via PM as your mail box if full.
Is there a shelf life on this product? Will complete my late summer treatment next week with my forth weekly mite “attack”. The tub purchased last year has been kept dry and cool and is still burning quickly so is there a need to start using from the new container? If so how should I discard the unused portion from the old tub?
Best regards, Greg
Hi Greg,
Cleaned out my mailbox, sorry. In regards to your OA, there is no shelf life. So if you've kept it "high and dry" you're good! The OA I'm using is over 4 years old, but again has been kept sealed and dry........ it'll last me a long, long time.......... Oh, I do keep it in a different container than what it came in. (old plastic mayo jar).......those Savogran containers are a bummer to open and close.

Larry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.