Disgusting honey - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Disgusting honey

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post

With it being an Amish beek, I am not suggesting it's been adulterated in any way. I figure they are pretty straight up folks.
    They are people too and you can find bad eggs in any group of people. It's probably just a nectar source that tastes bad to most people but they think it's great, don't care that it tastes bad, or didn't taste it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

I wonder if the beekeeper you bought it from took it off the hive real early in the year. It sounds like black Cherry honey. If its mixed with other honeys (clover, poplar, etc.) t okay but if you get it plain boy its bad.
    All generalizations are false, including this one - Mark Twain

We have a large amount of wild cherry trees here. If I can rememember I'll taste some of the nectar next spring and see if that's the culprit.

Anyone want a quart of (floor) grate tasting honey?
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

My brother in law learned a lesson in buying honey recently. He has a vegetable stand where he also sells honey. He purchased a five gallon pail from a local beeks. When he stared bottling he discovered it had a really bad after taste and was unfit to sell. After some investigating he found out it had been stored in a five gallon pail which originally held hydraulic fluid. Lesson learned buy from folks you know. He couldn't get his money back which was stupid for this guy. Now the words out on him and he will have a hard time selling his honey next year plus the inspector will be checking his operation.

From your description it could very well be honeydew. If you've ever tasted honeydew you won't soon forget it.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

Smart weed

Quote Originally Posted by ShrekVa View Post
    Smart weed
    I sure could use some of that!
    ...We don't see things as they are, we see things as WE are...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post

With it being an Amish beek, I am not suggesting it's been adulterated in any way.
    I just missed you. I was there just last Tuesday. Picked up 10 mediums, 5 deeps and two complete nucs but thankfully none of the aforementioned "Rank" honey. Mostly bean fields there with some patches of woods from what I saw. I wonder what it could have been. I have heard bitter weed would yield something nasty but I have never experienced like that from my bunch. The goldenrod was fine to me although the curing out process was pretty foul.

Quote Originally Posted by GSkip View Post
    My brother in law learned a lesson in buying honey recently. He has a vegetable stand where he also sells honey. He purchased a five gallon pail from a local beeks. When he stared bottling he discovered it had a really bad after taste and was unfit to sell. After some investigating he found out it had been stored in a five gallon pail which originally held hydraulic fluid. Lesson learned buy from folks you know. He couldn't get his money back which was stupid for this guy. Now the words out on him and he will have a hard time selling his honey next year plus the inspector will be checking his operation.
    That's just gross!

I wonder if the honey the OP got was extracted and placed in a 5 gallon bucket that had chocolate frosting used for doughnuts.

Bradbee, Did the honey you bought look like this?

IMG_2389.jpg

I bought this jar up there on Aug 8th. IMO wasn't the best but not like you are describing either. I'm thinking the honey you bought was replaced by this shortly after you were there.

I have seen that very honey for sale. I will have to ask the seller where he got it.

I bought a jar once from my local grocery taste ok at first then a nasty after taste.Figured out it was blended with goldenrod I wont buy that brand anymore.I tried alfalfa dutch boy brand from penn state best honey I ever had.

Brad Bee, today I stopped by the place you purchased your honey. It was in fact the same honey I purchased as well. I sampled another jar which is the latest extraction of honey and it had a much better smell and taste. What I think may have happened was that the honey you and I purchased (at least the jar I purchased) had a moderately strong aroma of Bee Go or Honey Robber (aka butyric acid) from being harvested. My jar had an odd taste but not as bad as yours so I gave it to the wife to cook with. Butyric Acid I suspect can negatively flavor the honey. If you just let the jar set for a few hours with the lid off, the putrid smell will evaporate off. The honey I purchased today smelled MUCH better.......almost a grape aroma and tasted MUCH better.

The Amish man you purchased your honey from and I had a good chuckle as I showed him this thread on my smart phone. I am sure if you mention this to him the next time you visit with him, he will make things right as he did feel bad that you were not satisfied with the product he sold you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12