Disgusting honey
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Disgusting honey

I made a run to southern middle TN yesterday to stock up on nuc boxes and while I was there, I decided to buy a quart of honey. I always enjoy the opportunity to try out honey from different locales.

So this morning, I make my normal peanut butter and honey sandwich for breakfast. I took one bite and had to spit it out. I threw the sandwich away. I then tasted the honey and it's horrible. It has a somewhat chocolate-ey after taste. It doesn't smell good either. It's not feremented, it just tastes bad.

Any idea what flower crop that grows in southern middle TN would produce such disgusting honey?

Anyone want a quart minus a tablespoon of honey?
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Disgusting honey

If the bees used Tree-of-heaven, an evasive tree that is a native of China, the honey might taste bad at first. It is called the tree of heaven because it is such a fast growing tree, growing toward heaven. I would wait about 3 months and then taste the honey again, this type of honey turns it into an excellent honey with age. I am surrounded by these trees that often grow 80' high. My honey tastes fine and in fact, just won first place at the county fair.

I got my wife to try it and as soon as she tasted it her nose wrinkled up. This stuff is musty tasting. It's horrble. I've often wondered how anyone could NOT like honey. If all honey tasted like this, I'd never eat any again. I mean it's horrible. Completely unpalatable.

Brad
    I read that queen anns lace smells chocolate-ey and has a grass/weedy after taste. Queen anns lace is about all I have around me in july. I haven't pulled any yet and so don't know but probly will just to see. Some say it has a carrot after taste and most say it makes the honey a bit bitter. I hope not because I have seen my bees working it and it is what I have most around.
    I have never tasted it and this is all from reading.
    Good luck
    gww
    zone 5b

There's something to be said for "To know the honey, is to know the beekeeper". I certainly wouldn't have bought a quart from an unknown source. A pint perhaps.

Someone sent me a couple small squeezers from Tennessee, and one of them is quite good, and the other one is the best honey I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction of what you received.

Probably last years golden rod / fall mix. Some fall honey in Tennessee is garbage and should not be sold in my opinion. Also early spring we have wild cherry honey and IT is nasty as well. Typically bees burn it up raising brood though.
    Splitting a first year hive successfully https://youtu.be/ZfRTreQ-S9c

This is dark honey and not really thick. It's thinner than my spring honey. That's really all I can describe about it. I would try to describe the flavor profile better but I'm not tasting that crap again.

In hind sight, yes I should have bought a pint. Actually in hind sight, I should have bought any. LOL

With it being an Amish beek, I am not suggesting it's been adulterated in any way. I figure they are pretty straight up folks.

I hate buckwheat honey its dark but my wife loves it

I got some tobacco honey in the seventies and it was nasty inedible. Leafy spurge is terrible and dark green. I got more flow from canada thistle than I wanted and it makes water white alfalfa look lke you scraped it off the floor. Gives it a dirty looking tint. Out in western Washington state I got some road tar they always call "wildflower" I got a quart of raspberry,blueberryand blackberry honey that is as good as honey gets. Its always an adventure buying and tasting other regions honey.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    This is dark honey and not really thick.
    Mobil 1, 5w30....used.
    Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Mobil 1, 5w30....used.
    That would probably taste better.

We have lots of Queen Anne's Lace, and I have never once seen a honeybee on it, even growing 5 feet from the hive. Lots of tiny pollinators seem to like it.

Sometimes strong to bad tasting honeys can be put to other uses such as part of a marinade for your steak before your barbeque, or your venison before you smoke it, and that taste you didn't like works in the other setting pretty good. Or maybe sparkling water, a spoon of your honey, and some lemon juice, chilled, excellent on a hot day.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

AR1
    We have lots of Queen Anne's Lace, and I have never once seen a honeybee on it, even growing 5 feet from the hive. Lots of tiny pollinators seem to like it.
    This is only my second year but I have seen the bees work it both years. I have seen more bees on queen anns lace then on the cosmos I planted. I have only seen two bees the whole summer on the cosmos.

I have come to the conclusion that in july when that is all that is around, the bees like pumkin, cucumber zukini and queen anns lace in that order.
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

Queen Anns Lace has been the most common flower here for months. I hope my honey doesn't taste bad. I haven't seen them on it much though! Actually, I haven't known for sure what theyve been on all year. They aren't foraging very close to home. They've done great though.

I have a feral hive in my yard and another feral hive 2 miles away. I think they just moved in. No hives of my own. I haven't seen but one honey bee on my property all year. I have a variety of planted flowers in the yard, wild flowers in the pasture (and every where for miles) and 100 yds of plum trees on the back fence.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee's Bees LLC View Post
    Some fall honey in Tennessee is garbage and should not be sold in my opinion.
    Since moving to west TN I have noticed the fall honey here is strong, and definitely not the best flavor. Seems a lot of people around here like it well enough. I blend it to mellow it out. I wouldn't call it garbage, but it is strong flavored for sure.

I sent two squeeze bottles to San Jose last week from Tennessee. Wonder if it's mine?

Quote Originally Posted by tnfiddler View Post
    I sent two squeeze bottles to San Jose last week from Tennessee. Wonder if it's mine?
    Someone sent me a couple small squeezers from Tennessee, and one of them is quite good, and the other one is the best honey I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction of what you received.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast