NJ beekeepers unite!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default NJ beekeepers unite!

Just got an email from the state Ag department notifying me of new proposed beekeeping rules. Here is a link to the proposed regulations: http://www.nj.gov/agriculture/news/h...ics170726.html

This is bad. Among other things it would set a Limit to 2 hives for properties between 1/4 and 5 acres. Under1/4 acre would not be allowed to keep hives although there is a provision for waiver for existing hives. You can also get a waiver for more than 2 hives on 1/4 to 5 acres. The details required to get the waiver are a real hassle. There is also conflicting wording regarding properties over 5 acres. I downloaded the regs to a word document and it came to 23 pages, Ugh!

Here is the state Ag site which also contains the above link under Hot Topics: http://www.nj.gov/agriculture/index.shtml

I suggest you contact the department and your state representative to voice your opposition to these rules.

Jon

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: NJ beekeepers unite!

Urban beekeeping would be pretty much dead. How will non-beekeepers deal with any swarms, hives inside structures, homes, walls etc ? Who is going to volunteer to collect swarms if one is limited to two hives and have to relocate any "Nuc" to new home within 30 days ?

I wonder if this is going to push more people to just keep hives and not register with the state.

Got an email from NJ Beekeepers Association.
    --------------

Please read the proposed regulations carefully and note how they will negatively affect you, personally, at http://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/n...ics170726.html. Then contact the following people and voice your concerns and opinions:

Secretary of Agriculture Douglas H. Fisher
    609-292-3976
    [email protected]

President of the NJ State Board of Agriculture Santo John Maccherone, 856-207-4542

Galen E. Ettinger, Chief
    Bureau of Plant Pest and Disease Control
    [email protected]

There's also some wording in there that suggests that any hobbyist beekeeper would require a waver to keep bees.

This would pretty much ruin my hobby operation. 2 hives on up to five acres? How many locations in NJ have more than five acres? I had plans to increase my numbers but if this passes doesn't look I'll be doing that.

the president of njba said that there is no beekeeper input on the legislation. This is essentially anti beekeeper legislation.

I wonder if a bee interrupted Gov. Christies' beach party.

Alex
    Last edited by AHudd; 07-29-2017 at 01:00 PM.
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Two hives on five acres? I used to have 3 acres and I had forty hives and 100 mating nucs most of the time...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    Two hives on five acres? I used to have 3 acres and I had forty hives and 100 mating nucs most of the time...
    I agree Michael, very unrealistic expectations. Having lived in NJ my whole life (till 2002, then I got old ) the politicians there are umm, I will be nice, very politician-like in every way. I think if all the Bee Clubs educate these people by sending letters, info and even looking at other States' laws on beekeeping this will help. I do understand why they might need theses laws in that small peanut State, but I think the laws they want to implement is backwards; all new beekeepers should take a classes or be mentored by a successful beekeeper so they can learn the science of beekeeping and varroa and viruses and brood disease; then they can decide about doing treatments for varroa or do all the manipulations to be somewhat treatment free. So much to learn. I find most beekeepers don't even know what plants their bees need and when their dearth is etc. OK I'll stop now.
    Western Catskill Mountains
    Proverbs 16:24

Here is the telling sentence from the notice: The consultation group also included representatives of the SADC and citizens from one municipality that requested the opportunity to provide background involving the development of a municipal land use approach after lengthy local hearings concerning one beekeeper.

I think those citizens from one town had a vendetta with one beekeeper. They apparently have an "in" with some politicians or the state Ag dept.

Cloverdale - the rules aren't totally bad because it calls for a requirement for new beekeepers to take a course. It also requires all beekeepers to be reeducated every 5 years which might be overkill.

Out of frying pan into the fire. Road To Hell Is Paved With Good Intentions.

Thats what happened here. And some of this is NJ Beekeepers Club own doing. As some municipalities started to put in rules, Club in all its wisdom decided to vote for a centralized State level control. And they helped craft the regulations for "worse case scenario". They also thought mandated training was a "good thing".

Now, not only State has its hand in the cookie jar, they let in municipalities too. Municipalities can not only make additional rules, permits, they are encouraged to send those recommendations up to State level.

With increased rules, waiver processing etc, who is going to pay for expansion of State department that does this ? You guessed it. State-wide apiary fees coming soon. Do you think it stops at $10 or $20 per year ? Guess again. Some municipalities require a $200 per year permit fee, in addition to mandated training.

Training ? Waivers ? Permits ? - No Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsl View Post
    Cloverdale - the rules aren't totally bad because it calls for a requirement for new beekeepers to take a course. It also requires all beekeepers to be reeducated every 5 years which might be overkill.
    Heh, Take a course that you have to pay for I'd wager. Wonder how long and how much something like this is supposed to cost?
    The bees know!
    AKA Wormtounge

I am no longer a Resident of NJ but am interested in seeing where this goes.

There not anti bee there pro money.Hobby beekeepers are growing fast and spending lots money time for the bigboys to take their part.Its gonna spread just watch and see all 50 states will want a piece of the pie too.

Better start getting out yards closer to home by the border. Too expensive many will not keep bees anymore unless
    they got the money to do so. Limited to 2 hives only will need to be more creative in beekeeping.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

I feel sorry for you folks living in the states who are dictated to by the voting liberals who live in large cities.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

I may be mistaken in this summary, but I think it looks like this:

• < ac. or less, residential lot, no agriculture permitted = no hives permitted.
    • < ac. or less, residential lot, agriculture permitted = may seek waiver if grandfathered.
    • ac. but <5 ac. residential lot, no agriculture permitted, must seek waiver to keep up to 2 hives with 1 nuc.
    • ac. but < 5 acre residential lot, agriculture permitted = 2 hives plus 1 nuc.
    • >5 ac. residential lot, agriculture permitted = 40 hives
    • >5 ac. undeveloped lot, agriculture permitted = 40 hives
    • >5 ac., residential lot, no agriculture permitted, may seek waiver to keep up to 10 hives. (Unless I am reading this wrong, there is a gap in logic here. If I own 4.9 acres, I get 2 hives without asking. If I own 75 acres, I have to get a waiver to own 1?)

The hive-limitation provisions will only truly affect "Residential Lots" which the chapter does not define, but I am assuming will be defined as those subdivided lots that are zoned for residential use. As to farms and farming operations, it seems to kick it over to the state's Right to Farm Act. It has some provisions for Commercial Lot use as well. As to rural areas that are not zoned or zoned for agricultural use (not just "permitted ag. use"), I do not think it would apply. Ag zoned areas usually allow residential use (I would think they always allow it, but I could be mistaken)

Obviously it would be great it the bill could get tanked. But if not tanked, there should be a push to at least provide an application for waiver provision added for the "<1/4, No Ag" group, and those that own 4.99 acres, lying in a Ag use area are really getting hosed on the 2hives + 1 Nuc rule. 1/4 ac to 1.5 ac., residential lot, maybe limit them to 2 hives +1 nuc, but 1.5 to 5 acres can easily, comfortably and safely support > 2 hives. That is too restrictive. Not that any of this is a good idea.

Obviously honey bees are dangerous. If they weren't then why such restrictions?
    What bothers me most is this isn't some legislation written by a politician, this was written by the Dept. of Agriculture. An agency that should know the importance of bees and how they are inherently NOT a danger.

This is also the kind of law that other states could use to model their own law.
    "Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto, half not be." -- Monty Python

Also, most of the restrictions are retroactive to July 2015.
    "Half a bee, philosophically, must ipso facto, half not be." -- Monty Python

As you NJ peeps respond.. some extra FYI:
    Federal Pollinator Initiative
    https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/whi.../PPAP_2016.pdf
    Million Pollinator Gardens .org
    http://millionpollinatorgardens.org/about/
    Pollinator Partnership
    http://www.pollinator.org/

Reach out past the beekeepers

In nj everything is residential. This basically is antibeekeeper. The president if NJBA who is over all the beekeeper clubs, was told that the ag commission didnt need their input, even though the law says they were consulted. Did anyone read the part where it says that proof that uou are not giving the bees enough water is if they are getting water out of someones swimming pool. The water also has to be very close to the hives. Two hives with 40% die off means no beekeepers. We got right to farm thing, are they going to tell the pig farmers how many pigs they are allowed to have per acre because I can smell them?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast