NJ beekeepers unite! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: NJ beekeepers unite!

I am going to EAS tomorrow, hopefully they will think this is an issue too

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

There is a perception in the general public that bees are in trouble right now. We need to capitalize on that and rally the public against this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Bee View Post
    I feel sorry for you folks living in the states who are dictated to by the voting liberals who live in large cities.
    Out of the frying pan names NJ politics and into the fire of NY politics!
    Proverbs 16:24

IMHO the biggest threat to honey bees are new beekeepers themselves who have this idea of saving bee's, beekeeping is cool, etc. and that's why they want to "be" a beekeeper. How many new beeks do you know that know nothing about what they are doing and kill their bee's while scratching their heads wondering what happened? They are considered animals. I hear lots of comments on this subject that is going on in NJ and it seems that everyone just wants to complain about the State, who's gonna pay for this, etc. Not one person on this particular subject has thought about the bee's themselves and how basic rules and education are NEEDED! I spend money on educating myself about beekeeping because I want to be responsible with them and learn.

If you are saying this then nuc sales will be affected. Either
    less beekeepers or the nuc price might be too high to afford one.
    When the demands (yeah, right) is less then the price will drop if
    nobody has space to keep them there.
    How is that the nuc price go up? Because of less beekeepers selling
    them. At the same time less beekeepers going in for this hobby. Nobody
    knows what the outcome will be if this pass through. Good for the acreage beekeepers but not for the
    hobby keepers with less acre to keep them. Who will benefit or lose from this change?
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Hi Beepro I am not sure if you are responding to my unhumble opinion or not.

What everyone should ask is why?

I can't open the ruling from the Dept of Ag.Please resend.

Yes, it appears NJ even has trouble building a website that works well.
    Regards, Barry

Here's the page again: http://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/n...ics170726.html

Something happened to the first link. It is passing the ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cloverdale View Post
    IMHO the biggest threat to honey bees are new beekeepers themselves who have this idea of saving bee's, beekeeping is cool, etc. and that's why they want to "be" a beekeeper. How many new beeks do you know that know nothing about what they are doing and kill their bee's while scratching their heads wondering what happened? They are considered animals. I hear lots of comments on this subject that is going on in NJ and it seems that everyone just wants to complain about the State, who's gonna pay for this, etc. Not one person on this particular subject has thought about the bee's themselves and how basic rules and education are NEEDED! I spend money on educating myself about beekeeping because I want to be responsible with them and learn.
    I took a four week course before getting any bees.

I don't think new beekeepers are "threat" to bees. And they certainly dont need any "mandated" training. Anyone who thinks otherwise need to get their head out of high clouds. If anything, they are like sheep who follow the instructions from the club to the letter. They buy shiny new equipment, latest gear, space suits, mite monitoring equipment, treatments, books etc bringing money to local beekeeping businesses.

They are mislead so much so that one beekeeper who couldnt keep his bees alive even for a year once asked me why I dont have "proper hives". In his mind, proper hive is one with new boxes, fresh paint, new screened bottom boards with "varroa board".... And he did go get his "bee training". Really ?

In my humble opinion, no beekeeping class teaches that practical knowledge I can only learn through experience. If anything, most of the beekeeping classes push wrong agenda.

Take clothing for example. Almost every beekeeping classes make you believe you got to have full gear. You are on a small urban lot, you go out in full space suit, complete with glove every time you go open hives. How can you expect neighbor who is only 10 ft away NOT to get panic ?

Gloves - how can anyone manipulate frames with gloves without squishing bees left and right. Then wonder why bees are agitated & defensive all the time.

Our state inspector is the ONLY one I heard say "learn to manage hives without space suit".

The proposed rules got nothing to do with bees, their survival or even new beekeeper. They are product of panic & agenda. Beekeeping is expensive as is, don't need further brainwashing and mandated stuff.
    Last edited by DaisyNJ; 08-02-2017 at 07:30 AM.

I can understand a beekeeping class for beginners, but a refresher class in five years. If you haven't learned more in five years of keeping bees than you will learn from a refresher course then your bees are probably dead. Beekeeping has a steep, on the job, learning curve.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Daisy
    I don't think new beekeepers are "threat" to bees. And they certainly dont need any "mandated" training. Anyone who thinks otherwise need to get their head out of high clouds.
    x4 plus
    Cheers
    gww
    zone 5b

You are all blinded by prejudice. Directed by sympathies.

Kumbaya.

The course I took was excellent but was only a starting point. There's nothing like hands on experience.

Quote Originally Posted by SiWolKe View Post
    You are all blinded by prejudice. Directed by sympathies.

Kumbaya.
    Don't understand your comment. Can you explain it?

Yes.
    The problem is that beekeeping becomes a trend and flow is much better in urban surroundings.

It was the same here. Suddenly everybody wanted to have a box on the balcony or a "Bienenkiste", something like Topbar but without frames, the combs fixed by the bees at the top and the whole nest to inspect you had to turn the top upside down.
    New "beekeepers" watched u-tube and thought themselves experts.

Later they abandoned the hives because nobody wants to lift a whole colony upside down. Treatments were difficult to do so were cancelled. Working without veil or clothes was not always funny, mostly because unprotected small kids were standing beside the opened hives, munching on a piece of honeycomb.
    Neighbors were scared because they were attacked while mowing directly in front of entrances. Kids were not able to play barefoot. Washings were dirtied....sick bees, robbers and dying bees fell down the balconies onto the heads of the neighbor under.
    Hives standing on roof tops were abandoned because it was too hard to move equipment. Swarms were on bicycles, trams and cars in the city.

A worker at my job told me she had a swarm from her neighbor hanging at a tree in her garden. She called the neighbor but the woman had no protection and was scared to do something. She had never visited a class or read a book on what to do about swarming.

So to take a stand against the restrictions you must have in mind that freedom of others stop when you take your freedom. Laws are inevitable, but all sides must be heard.

Daisy., my experience is that good looking boxes are more accepted by local folks. They think them well cared for. And my neighbors asked me to wear my full gear when I open my hive in the garden ( urban) so they can stay away. No surprise then for them, suddenly a cloud of bees around even if they are gentle. The one or two bottles of honey help too.

In my eyes many laws are not because of profit but because of conflicts.

Unite and show you are responsible!

This seems to be about folks from one town having a run in with one beekeeper. The rest of us have to pay for it. They were being disturbed in their swimming pools. I told my neighbors I was getting bees before I got them and they all thought it was cool. No problems since.

Siw...
    If you believe that creating more law makes for less conflict, you have not thought it compleetly through. There may be some conflict now once in a while but making a law puts all those who were not in conflict into new conflict and you still have to adress the origional conflict anyway. Why create a bunch of new conflicts for people that are not having problims. You can not legislate enough rules to keep people from having conflict with out the posibility of causing more trouble then you were trying to stop for people who don't deserve the extra trouble.

This is not to say that sometimes cases are not out there where one person spends money every month to keep the dandilions out of his yard and his neibor spreds dandilion seed on his yard cause he thinks that yellow is pretty even though he is the only one on the block. Make a law state wide that every one has to spray for dandilions even where it doesn't make sense may help that one block that has an odd neibor but would punish too many that it doesn't matter to and would be messing over the guy who likes dandilion wine or has bees.

Or make a law that wherever dandilions are found a fence has to be put up so the wind can't blow the seeds. So then the person puts a fence up but paints it purple and so now we have to make a law so that all fences are white.

Yes it would stop a ligitamate problim for one but would cause many problims for many more. Now I think I am going out to paint my house pink cause I know it will bother some one. Some problims ARE hard to fix.
    Cheers
    gww
    Ps I have ten acres that was for sale beside me. A guy bought it and built a house. He has put a dirt bike race track around it. Now I liked it better when it wasn't so noisy. This guys view is that I should have bought it and then he couldn't be there doing what he is doing. My view is, I should have bought it and then he couldn't be doing what he is doing. No conflict. I don't worry about him worrying about my grass being only cut when my wife gets on my but and I would not listen to him if he was worried about my grass.
    I like living here and have learned in life that nothing is ever perfect or problim free.
    Last edited by gww; 08-02-2017 at 12:11 PM.
    zone 5b

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast