dead queens after emerging

Default dead queens after emerging

Why when a have a cell bar of capped queens, with hair rollers on them when they emerge I am having a few dead queens in the bottom of hair roller? will bees not feed all of them? there are usually 10 -20 q cells, this time there were 9 4 alive 3 dead and 2 not emerged yet. didn't have the dead q in hair rollers last year, what could this be from?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: dead queens after emerging

was there royal jelly still in the cell?
    mike syracuse ny
    Whatever you subsidize you get more of. Ronald Reagan

Haven't checked that, just pull off hair roller shake dead q out and pull the q cell off the cell bar, didn't notice any royal jelly on my hands after removing, but I will check next time, what would that mean?

I don't think bees feed virgin queens, they run around and feed themselves. I put candy in my virgin queen cages and try to get them placed into nucs as soon as possible after they emerge.

Put honey on bottom of cage and get a $20 chicken incubator. Then they can hatch, you feed them, and they are warm. I can keep virgins nice and healthy for around 3 days, but they will really suck up the honey when they come out!

If bees will not feed virgin queens, how I do it is put hair rollers on capped q cells [nicot system] after q emerges put hair roller in mini nuc and shake in bees from the cell builder, because they are qless shouldn't have another queen smell, but if they don't feed virgins, my queen in the hair roller would not be able to get feed. I haven't been putting in any candy in, was thinking bees would feed their new queen. but the dead queen problem is when they emerge and are dead in the hair roller.

When emerging virgins into cages you need to give them a pea sized piece of queen cage candy for when they emerge. Virgins are tremendously hungry when they first emerge and must eat quickly! Also you may want to go back in after they emerge and smash the queen cell as many times they will go back in the cell and die.

Good luck,
    Dan Williams
    Williams Honey Bees

I recently had some cells in roller cages. I had candy in the cages. As the cells emerged, I put in three or four attendants and made up nucs to give them to. After two days I sprayed the bees in the nucs with sugar water and released the virgins into them. It all went well so far, I just released the virgins today into the nucs. I'll check back in two weeks and see what results are then.

A seasoned beekeeper told me once his new queens ( incubator) slept for some hours after emerging, looking like dead ones.
    Is it anecdotal?

Queens that hatch in my incubator are dead in a few hours. Before death they go lifeless but can be brought around with a drop of honey on the tongue. But if not fed quick they'll be dead.

Queens that hatch in a hive immediately go looking for food, and if you watch a queen hatch on a comb, the first thing you will see them do is go looking for food. Experiments have shown that they also need protein over the first few days which is used to further develop and grow the queen. If they don't get it they will never quite be the queen they would have been if they did get it. This is because natural selection has caused queens to emerge quickly, as the first to emerge can kill the others still in the cell. But the cost of this is they still have some internal development to do, which is not a problem long as they get both carbohydrate and protein to eat soon as they emerge.
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Thanks, OT

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Experiments have shown that they also need protein over the first few days which is used to further develop and grow the queen. If they don't get it they will never quite be the queen they would have been if they did get it.

But the cost of this is they still have some internal development to do, which is not a problem long as they get both carbohydrate and protein to eat soon as they emerge.
    Guessing this is why I have trouble getting queens mated during poor forage times, especially weaker nucs. Thanx!
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.

Can be many reasons for poor mating. Another factor with weak nucs is the "urgency" factor. Queens in weak nucs often mate and start laying sooner because there is a need. But the trade off is they may not have waited until fully fit for it, or for optimal conditions to mate so may risk poor weather, and may not be as well mated or with as many drones.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Can be many reasons for poor mating. Another factor with weak nucs is the "urgency" factor. Queens in weak nucs often mate and start laying sooner because there is a need. But the trade off is they may not have waited until fully fit for it, or for optimal conditions to mate so may risk poor weather, and may not be as well mated or with as many drones.
    Thatīs the most important info, OT, thanks again. This could have happened last year in my splits before I changed my methods. I thought it was the weather but now you make me believe itīs the urgency.
    This will influence my doings, I just now have an "emergency" queen raising hive. I have to watch this, because itīs not the best start they have.

Thanks SiWolKe. Often we hear people complaining about the quality of queens they bought with packages. Most queens with packages are fine, but a higher percentage of them are not because they get mated in small mini nucs and if some of those mini nucs are under strength even by mini nuc standars, this can affect queen quality. Although even queens from nucs with a thumbfull of bees can sometimes surprise.

Yes I have a queen like that which is very prolific, bred by my co-worker.
    Monday I will have another. I hope this will be fine, but she was raised and mated when flow was very good and weather fine and many drones around.