Information on the toxicity of different herbicides for bees

Default Information on the toxicity of different herbicides for bees

Hello,
    Do you know of a list or place where they offer information about the toxicity they have on the bees of the different herbicides currently used?
    Specifically, I need information on Garlon's toxicity.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Information on the toxicity of different herbicides for bees

"National Pesticide Information Center (NPIC) provides objective, science-based information about pesticides and pesticide-related topics to enable people to make informed decisions. NPIC is a cooperative agreement between Oregon State University and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (cooperative agreement #X8-83560101)."
    http://npic.orst.edu/

And Garlon is a trade name for Triclopyr, which is an herbicide. Read the PDF at this link ...
    What are some products that contain triclopyr?
    - Garlon, Turflon, Pathfinder, Access, Brush-B-Gon, Confront, Crossbow (2).
    ... ...
    ... ...
    Triclopyr is practically non-toxic to bees (1).

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/triclogen.pdf
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by erlaita View Post
    Hello,
    Do you know of a list or place where they offer information about the toxicity they have on the bees of the different herbicides currently used?
    Specifically, I need information on Garlon's toxicity.
    Why not spend a few seconds and google LD50s? You can do that faster than asking here. You will find most herbicides are about as toxic to bees as table salt.

Here is a pretty scholarly link showing how benign glyphosate actually is to honeybees. The trouble with having any reasonable discussion about glyphosate is that it ties into the whole GMO argument which is rife with disinformation. As Mr. Cryberg says, the information is out there for those willing to research with an open mind.
    https://academic.oup.com/jee/article...093/jee/tov269
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

One always hears about the additives being more toxic than glyphosate, which additives are these.
    Johno

A surfactant is often added to herbicide sprays (to reduce water surface tension and get a finer spray mist). Surfactants are more or less similar to detergents. And detergent mixed with water (bubbles/foam etc) can be used to smother insects.

However, the spray (with surfactant) would need to be sprayed on the insect, and with sufficient volume to block the bees' spiracles (breathing tubes) to kill them. It seems likely to me that the average glyphosate + surfactant spray application isn't likely to smother bees in any significant amount.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

In a post somewhere Richard mentioned some Japanese were drinking Roundup and that the glyphosate was not doing them in as it was the adjuvants, so was just wondering what it was that could do such damage. I would not think the surfactants would be that bad.
    Johno

Quote Originally Posted by johno View Post
    In a post somewhere Richard mentioned some Japanese were drinking Roundup and that the glyphosate was not doing them in as it was the adjuvants, so was just wondering what it was that could do such damage. I would not think the surfactants would be that bad.
    Johno
    They can be that bad.

It can be very confusing to try and figure out what may or may not be a problem. It may be that the active ingredient is not a major concern. Then, because something is a problem with mammals is it also a problem with insects? Sometimes highly potent insecticides have less of an impact on honey bees because they break down so quickly in sunlight and have no residual toxicity.

LD50's help describe toxicity. Understanding the mode of action, residual activity/persistence, etc. are important parts of the puzzle.

Tom

I have a neighbor using crossbow on blueberries and me and my wife have headache from it while working on my beehives yesterday.
    I visited my neighbor and asked what was he spraying on the backyard. It was crossbow for blackberries control and he got the headache too. My question is how or if the bees will be affected and if the honey and brood is going to be compromised too.
    Please advise

Quote Originally Posted by ALOHA BUZZ View Post
    I have a neighbor using crossbow on blueberries and me and my wife have headache from it while working on my beehives yesterday.
    I visited my neighbor and asked what was he spraying on the backyard. It was crossbow for blackberries control and he got the headache too. My question is how or if the bees will be affected and if the honey and brood is going to be compromised too.
    Please advise
    Crossbow is mentioned in the quote of post #2. Check radar's link above. Crossbow is triclopyr and 2-4d. I've never had issues with 2-4d unless I had virgins mating, and the post above suggests no issues with triclopyr.
    Hindsight is 20/10, not 20/20...
    After the fact, I always know what didn't work.