Feta Cheese Buckets - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Feta Cheese Buckets

msl if they were not HDPE2 then they would not be stamped with it.They would be stamped with other numbers and the type of material they are made of.If they had other materials in them that were hazardous they would not have 2 stamped on them.There is a reason or being stamped HDPE 2.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Oh an those codes go by US government regs.

"U.S. Food Packaging Regulations

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulates the packaging and labeling of food. The intent of these regulations is to enhance the safety of food distributed throughout the United States and keep consumers informed about the food they're consuming. The FDA classifies any packaging that comes into direct contact with food as a "food contact substance." It is the responsibility of The Office of Food Additive Safety and The Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) to ensure the safety of these food contact substances. This means packaging materials like plastics, coatings, papers, food colorants, and adhesives must be regulated and deemed safe for use. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requires that antimicrobial technology be built into plastic and textiles used in food packaging to prevent the growth of bacteria, mold, mildew, fungi, discoloration and odor. The FDA's guidelines also require that package labeling include nutrition guidelines, expiration or "best if used by" dates, handling and preparation instructions, and the packaging company's contact information. Allergen labeling has also been a requirement since 2006. The Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Act not only requires disclosure if the product contains potential allergens like milk, fish, eggs, shellfish, peanuts, wheat or soybeans, but a notification if the product was made or packaged in a facility using any of the aforementioned allergens."

Thats the reason they are stamped HDPE 2.The FDA regulates it.HDPE 2 is what it is.If it wasnt HDPE 2 the FDA would have them listed by some other designation.

"Use of Recycled Content

The FDA’s “Points to Consider for the Use of Recycled Plastics in Food Packaging: Chemistry Considerations” guidelines state that the use of recycled polymers is permissible if it is of a type previously permitted for food-contact, has been kept free of contaminates during the recycling process, and the recycled material has been tested to establish suitable purity for reuse in food packaging."

Even recycled HDPE 2 still has to meet purity requirements by the FDA.

The "2" stamp (in the triangle) simply means that the plastic is HDPE.

I am looking at a 5 qt blue jug of Supertech 5W-30W motor oil. Guess what - it comes in a plastic jug labeled with the "triangle 2" logo and "HDPE".

Certainly not food grade.

Yes, HDPE can be food safe, but that does not mean that all HDPE containers ARE food safe.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

It would of been before the oil. The 2 is the designation.It doesnt mean you cant use it for oil jugs.There are other designations for HDPE also being 1-7 and 3 and 6 are not listed as food grade.2 is the safest grade.

The 2 is a recycling number, the FDA has no control over recycling or say over a bucket made to hold paint, motor oil or kitty litter
    There is food grade HDPE and there is non food grade HDPE and they both will have the 2 on them.
    for the record here is the numbers and what they mean... there is no hdpe 1 or 6 or what ever
    Recycling-Codes.jpg

The numbers specify the TYPE OF PLASTIC. See this chart ...

photo credit
    (click on image to enlarge)

Look under the triangle logo to see the type of plastic.

The point of the 'numbers' is so that compatible plastics (same base material) can be sorted together to facilitate remanufacturing. That does not address whether the manufacturing process will be appropriate for food contact or not - or whether the original use of that container was food safe or not.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

msl I gave you the FDA regulations.
    "Use of Recycled Content

The FDA’s “Points to Consider for the Use of Recycled Plastics in Food Packaging: Chemistry Considerations” guidelines state that the use of recycled polymers is permissible if it is of a type previously permitted for food-contact, has been kept free of contaminates during the recycling process, and the recycled material has been tested to establish suitable purity for reuse in food packaging."

If you cant understand the FDA regs then you need to argue with them.The HDPE has to be tested to meet one of the designations.It has to be kept pure to meet that designation.#2 is the safest designation there is out there.If you want to put paint or oil in it you can but after you contaminate it it cant be recycled as #2.Go and argue with the FDA if you feel the designations are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by hex0rz View Post
    While you're correct, any range of those plastics i would personally think are okay to use. Considering what is put in them, i don't see a difference.

Im sure the reason home depot doesn't make the homer bucket food grade is some other money saving portion. Plastics 1 through 7 are utilized to hold various food and liquids that are ultimately consumed.
    I'll err on the side of the people who're on the hook legally for calling their product food grade or making the choice to not call it food grade because of what's in it.

The plastic being the same but you can double your price to call it food grade.Its called more profit!!

Quote Originally Posted by snapper1d View Post
    The plastic being the same but you can double your price to call it food grade.Its called more profit!!
    So... I can buy a LABELED food grade bucket at Walmart (link) for $2.96 per bucket. And I can buy a non-food grade bucket (specifically stated on Home Depot's website: link) for $3.12. And someone's just tossing a food grade label on it so that they can sell it for 16 cents cheaper?

Now toss in a $1.26 food grade lid compared to the $1.76 non-food grade lid... I won't bother with the links to those, I'm sure you get the point.

Along with the higher price for a food grade label the liability insurance premium is probably higher.

Alex
    Ten years of Beekeeping before varroa. Started again spring of 2014.

Jw you are comparing two different stores and two different buckets. Compare both from HD.
    http://www.homedepot.com/s/5+gal+bucket?NCNI-5

Jw you are comparing two different stores and two different buckets. Compare both from HD.
    http://www.homedepot.com/s/5+gal+bucket?NCNI-5
    Ok. Compare them both at Walmart.
    Their white ones labeled food grade are $2.96.
    Their blue ones non-food grade are also $2.96.

I can't help it if people don't shop around. The fact of the matter is the biggest retailer in the world sells food grade buckets for less than $3 each. If some sucker wants to pay 50% more for a "specialty" bucket at Home Depot, so be it. But the idea that someone's labeling buckets as food grade just to sell them more expensively simply isn't true. There's pretty obviously a difference between the buckets.

There you go JW.No price difference shows there isnt any difference.Some claim food grade to make the extra dollar.

I am an injection molder sideliner, food grade mold release and resin pellets cost more then NFG, at least in the volume I get it in

From the Maine State Beekeepers Association
    Ace Hardware: 5-gallon buckets manufactured by Leaktite are not food-safe. This was confirmed by the Leaktite company in an email response to my inquiry.
    Home Depot: Orange buckets are not food-safe because the orange dye could possibly leach into the contents.
    Walmart: Blue utility buckets are not food-safe because of the dye. White buckets manufactured by Encore Plastics are considered safe.
    Lowes: White buckets by Encore Plastics are food-safe, and the Lowes.com website states “food grade” in the title of the item (#356492; $3.97/each; photo above).
    Read more: http://mainebeekeepers.org/the-bee-l...#ixzz4nyBP3cZa

Quote Originally Posted by msl View Post
    I am an injection molder sideliner, food grade mold release and resin pellets cost more then NFG, at least in the volume I get it in

From the Maine State Beekeepers Association
    I work for a plastic packaging company. The idea that all plastic buckets with a 2 on them are the same is silly.

I'm not saying that a HD bucket is going to kill you or ruin your honey. But when you can buy a food grade one for the same or less cost... what's the point in rolling the dice? ESPECIALLY if you're selling it. If you want to do it with your own personal honey, go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarlson View Post
    Ok. Compare them both at Walmart.
    Their white ones labeled food grade are $2.96.
    Their blue ones non-food grade are also $2.96.

I can't help it if people don't shop around. The fact of the matter is the biggest retailer in the world sells food grade buckets for less than $3 each. If some sucker wants to pay 50% more for a "specialty" bucket at Home Depot, so be it. But the idea that someone's labeling buckets as food grade just to sell them more expensively simply isn't true. There's pretty obviously a difference between the buckets.
    Hi all,
    Just for your info, you get what you pay for. Walmart buckets are low price. they are also much thinner wall and softer than an encore or letica pail.It shows when you stack them 3 or 4 high full of honey. When they cave in and your honey hits the floor, a buck or 2 savings goes right down the drain. Literally! Past experience. BUY GOOD PAILS FOOD GRADE ONLY! We don't sell $.25/lb honey anymore and WE are responsible for our quality image!

Nick
    gridleyhollow.com
    Lowes and uline both have FDA pails at a reasonable price

Quote Originally Posted by funwithbees View Post
    Hi all,
    Just for your info, you get what you pay for. Walmart buckets are low price. they are also much thinner wall and softer than an encore or letica pail.It shows when you stack them 3 or 4 high full of honey. When they cave in and your honey hits the floor, a buck or 2 savings goes right down the drain. Literally! Past experience. BUY GOOD PAILS FOOD GRADE ONLY! We don't sell $.25/lb honey anymore and WE are responsible for our quality image!

Nick
    gridleyhollow.com
    Lowes and uline both have FDA pails at a reasonable price
    The buckets at Walmart ARE Encore pails.

And while you might get by with stacking certain lids (with the Walmart lids it is pretty obvious they aren't designed to stack onto), none of them are made to hold 180 pounds on top of them. Regardless if some survive the practice or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast