Split half success

Default Split half success

About 6 weeks ago, I made a split on a hive that seemed to be preparing to swarm. The nuc is doing fine, but no sign of a queen in the main hive. A week ago I gave them a frame of brood/larvae, but but no sign of their creating a new queen. I saw some spotty larvae, which has me nervous that there are laying workers. If this is the case, I'd rather not waste a good nuc on them. How can I be sure? If it's early in the laying working cycle, do I have a chance of success if I combine the nuc in?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Split half success

takes just about 45 days for a queen cell to hatch and lay you are in the correct time frame,
    she's probably just getting started give her another 14 days.

45 days is a long time, 28 to 33 is closer to the average. A spotty brood pattern can be a newly mated queen ramping up. Look for worker brood! Only queens lay worker brood! The brood will not hurt the hive and can only help it. Add a frame of very young brood once a week until you either, see a good laying patters of worker brood. See queen cells drawn with larva in them. At this time you can either remove the q cells and combine. destroy the Q cells and introduce a bred queen. or let them raise a queen. Time and forage may be a determining factor.

If you find yourself in a LW situation;

https://www.beesource.com/forums/show...orker-Easy-Fix

Post pictures of your open and capped brood.