Syrup pumping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Syrup pumping

Default Syrup pumping

Well i went and bit the bullet on a pump today. Bought a predator brand pump from harbor freight. I got a 2 inch pump since it was only a little more than the one inch pump and the flow rate was higher but about the same pressures.

I have seen them used to pump syrup on YouTube but would like some more input on using one properly. My biggest curiosity is having some sort of bypass setup on it. I have two ideas on a bypass currently.

1. The suction side gets syrup from the container like a tote. Discharge side recirculates to intake at a 45 Y. But on the discharge side, there is a valve on a tee for the hose that is used to dispense the syrup.

2. Suction line supply from tote of syrup. Discharge pumps back into tote. Valve on a tee with hose to dispense syrup on discharge side.

Either of these sound viable in doing or is there another way to skin this cat? Second idea sounds pretty decent considering i can use it as a way to mix the syrup too.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Syrup pumping

I vote number two, won't overheat the recirculated syrup as the short closed loop might.
    Bill

I'll try and post up some pics when i get the system running.

What is it, a trash pump like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-2...gpm-63405.html
    "Every viewpoint, is a view from a point." - Solomon Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    What is it, a trash pump like this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-2...gpm-63405.html
    Yes....What are you going to say next?

I'm going to say I have the almost exact same thing and it works well, I don't have a recirculator because trash pumps work at low pressure and don't need it, but fit one if you want anyway.

Mine is a 2 inch pump but I use a 1 inch id hose for feeding, but a 2 inch hose for mixing cos that allows big through put and really churn up the tank.

Oldtimer can you post some picks of your tank and pump set up? Or email them to me. [email protected]

Oooh, good! I guess in on to something here then, lol. I would not mind seeing pics or video of your setup!

Will get some and post later today.

No idea how to post pictures but I have the same pump (different brand) but they are almost identical. I can send pics via email if interested.

Mine recirculates to mix as well as pump syrup to feeders. It works great, only used it this year so don't know about longevity or how it will do with thick syrup.

Bryan

BryanD, when making a post, there is a little icon along the top of the reply box that says INSERT IMAGE, if you hold your mouse on it. That is the simplest way to post an image. Sounds like your set up is more what the OP wants as you have a recirculator built in.

IMG_0205.jpgIMG_0206.jpg

Well here goes nothing! Thanks Oldtimer, hope it works. I am on a phone so trying to do it from there not a computer.
    Last edited by BryanD; 07-19-2017 at 03:09 PM.

Nice! How'd you get the bulkhead fitting on the side like that? That would also seem to get the syrup mixed better than discharging into the top since it'll probably create more turbulence. That's virtually how ill do mine...

The bulkhead fitting has threads and a seal. I cut a hole in the side of the ibc tote to size. The trick was threading it and tightening the threads as you can't reach your hand down there. I used a long pipe and slide it into place then I was able to stick my fingers through the hole and line everything up and tighten it down. It took some imigination and I am not sure I explained it well but getting the bulkhead low was a priority. It does a great job of mixing and the valve acts as pressure relief. When the valve is wide open lots of agitation and mixing. Close it off some and you have pressure to the hose. I have always had mixed syrup by the time I arrive at the beeyard (less than 10 minute drive) I run the pump on the road, that and the sloshing mix it well.

Nice set up BryanD, it's better than mine so I won't bother putting pics of mine. A tip though, an issue when the tank is near empty with the bulkhead attached bottom side like yours, is syrup gets 4 to 6 inches from the bottom then it starts sucking air and you can never get the last bit of syrup out. To overcome that I've got the outlet bulkhead plumbed in a few inches above the bottom, then a 90 degree angle pipe on the inside going to the bottom of the tank with opening maybe 1/2 inch above the tank bottom so it won't suck air till the tank is virtually empty.

That is a is a good idea may have to put that on my winter project list! Thanks oldtimer! As for now if I am running the tank dry I can jack the trailer up to let gravity help keep the outlet full of syrup, kind of a pain though. This time of year the tank is in constant use, I never get to the bottom always making more!!

Okay, couple hundred dollars later, i got all the fittings and hose needed to set my system up. Got it all in place yesterday and did some pumping with water. Bought a 100 foot garden hose and spliced it at 50 feet if i don't need the extra in a yard. Wondering if i need to Teflon tape the fittings or if the NPT is enough to seal.

I was surprised at how much water was being pumped! It's allot of fluid! I notice a couple flaws in my system though and maybe your guys' too?

My discharge line just dumps back into the tank through the top opening currently. Was undecided on how to finish that part. How do you get the sugar dumped into the hole? A homemade funnel?

After I'm done pumping, how do you retrieve the syrup in the lines without making a mess? If i go a period of time without feeding i don't want to lose the syrup in the lines and pump to fermentation or dumping. Wonder if the drain plug on the pump would work to get it all out in a controlled way. Wouldn't want to start robbing frenzy.

Also if i make a batch for the remainder of the year, how long do you think it would last in the sun? I know about bleach and vinegar and have had good results using it. But that was when i could keep 5 gallon buckets of it in a cool dark area.

As it sits the most i need to make at one time is about 60 gallons. This system is for future goals but 60 is not allot In the tote. That's why i was wondering about a larger quantity.

I just pour sugar through the opening at the top. I don't have a good source for bulk sugar so I am just pouring from bags. I wish I could find a good sugar source!

If I am cleaning out the pump for storage or if I am not going to make syrup I flush the system. I built an adapter out of fitting so that I direct feed the pump from a garden hose. I am a little concerned that the pump will get hot but it seems to work ok. I run the pump at idle. At that point I basically use the garden hose water to flush the system and pump it back into the tank. This has worked for me and keeps everything pretty much contained.

I have kept sugar in the tank for 2 weeks with no signs of fermentation. I do add Pro Health so I think that may help a little with shelf life.

I too mix smaller batches and the ibc tote is overkill. I mix about 400lbs of sugar at a time. Hoping to grow I to it!

The cost in fittings does add up but not having to mix and pour from buckets has been worth it.

I'm pouring from bag too. Just didn't know how to keep spill to a minimum.

I'll have too try and see whay i can come up with for cleanup.

Overall I've spent about 700 dollars on setup. Light years better than this that's offered:

http://www.cowenmfg.com/gas-powered-syrup-pump/

Here it is in all my glory...

Decided to steal my garden sprayer and remove the head from it to use as the dispensing nozzle. Works really good as it has a pressure regulator and trigger on it. It cam extend or collapse also. Might even think about the nozzle head later on if i need to for something else. I really think this is growing on me. I can get a manifold or Wye later and if need be, two of us or more could go through an apiary and feed even quicker.

I suppose ill get a hose hanger instead of a reel to store the hoses. It also just dawned on me that having it on a pallet, i can frame it in with 2x4 and insulate it and cover with plywood to keep the heat and sun off of it. By golly i think I'm getting too smart for my own good!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast