Walk away split

Thread: Walk away split

Default Walk away split

OK, I think I know the answer but will ask anyhow.

I did a walkaway split where I moved top 10 frames (Box A) about 100 feet away and left bottom 10 frames (Box B) in the original location. In order to get Box A to reorient, I closed it up and was going to come back in two days and reopen. This has worked in the past. Unfortunately, I did not close it up completely and the forgers returned to Box B. Found the Queen last night in Box A.

Now, can I simply switch box locations, close up Box B for a couple days to reorient, and allow forgers to fly back to Box A, now back in the original location, to balance the population, or will return forgers that left Box B thinking it was queen less, kill the queen?

My bigger plan is to split the queen less box down to Nucs and re queen and let the queen right box grow to over winter.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Walk away split

Since it is the queen right box that has lost the foragers I would not be too concerned as there really will not be a decline to the bees from what they are now. The queen will build up replacements quickly. Nurse bees become foragers almost daily so although your field forces are low now they will rebound in a few weeks. at most I would give the hive a frame of pollen and honey to tide them over.

The remaining box can be split and each split allowed to requeen. I find it better to maintain the balance by simply moving one split to a location better than 3 miles away. Penning the bees up does help some, but does not guarantee 100% orientation. And many will return to the original location. But as all things in beekeeping. we do what we must!

Default Re: Walk away split

Thanks you ten bears. Not what I was thinking, that makes it even more simple. I have two queens sitting on my kitchen table to requeen the splits tonight or tomorrow AM. I will open the queen right hive this evening and be done!