Raccoon proofing an apiary

Default Raccoon proofing an apiary

instead of just putting a nail board in front of the hive, or an electric fence, and then putting an 80 pound weight on the legs to keep the coons from tipping hive stand over, I had the homeowner at my new outyard suggest sticking the hive in a metal dog crate. Which is a novel idea, but coons are fairly strong and welds pop. The area has chain link on 3 sides and a house on the 4th, I have even considered a dog kennel, which wouldn't set up real well over the raised beds in this area. Or stretching fencing or hardware cloth across the chain link, but at 4 ft height that would be fun to work, I'm 5 ft 3. . Anyone want to help me brain storm (I forgot to take a picture of the area.)
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Raccoon proofing an apiary

I read through the files and this is what I came up with. Tack board on the landing board of the hive, and on top in front, and down below the stand where a raccoon would probably want to stand to investigate the bees. Hive strapped to stand. Stand was overheight so we dug legs in and piled rocks and some cinderblock on top of crossmembers we buried. ameliaHive_sm.jpg
    Stuck in Texas. Learning Permaculture in drought, flood and strange weather. The bees are still alive.

The raccoon problems I have had are only with empty hives that have frames of honey. Once the hives are populated, they stay away. If I set up a one brood box with frames of honey, at the start of the season, while I await a shipment of bees, I am guaranteed the coons will attack. So I do not setup until I have bees for the new hives.

Bees must be pretty good at coon proofing a bee yard. We've got an over abundace of coons and I have never had one minutes problem with them in the bee yard. I'd worry about something worth worrying about.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Lost a few nucs to coons last year, put an electric fence up... https://www.premier1supplies.com/she...php?fence_id=1 ... no more problems, also keeps out skunks

We use the premier bear quik fence . solved our coon problems. Keeos out bears also.
    Nick
    gridleyhollow.com