How many splits from two strong deeps

Default How many splits from two strong deeps

I currently have two very strong deep boxes. 10 frames each and all have a mix of solid brood, pollen, honey and solid bees on all frames. On Saturday I took the top deep and put it on a new base. I then inspected all the frames from both boxes, found the queen and then divided the two boxes up evenly with brood, pollen and honey frames. Many frames have a 4"-5" strip of solid honey on the top portion of the frames. I have brood on most frames and it is a solid pattern. I believe I have a very strong Queen and want to make new queens from her DNA. I checked the box without the queen today and found a cluster of queen cells in the middle of one frame. 3 were open and one was capped. I set the two boxes next to each other with openings going the same way. Most bees are flying into box with queen, but good flow of bees flying into the queenless box as well. I live in Southern California and have my bee hives on 8 acres of open land with lots of flowers, trees and other pollen producing plants. Attached is picture of the queen cells I found today in the queenless box. Also attached is a picture of where my bee hive boxes are located. This picture was taken 40 days ago and things are dying off, but there is still lots of flowering plants left in the area.

Have a few questions and can supply pictures if needed.

1) Since both boxes have full frames of brood, pollen and honey, should I do more splits?

2) How should I create the third split. Take the frame with the laying queen along with some frames from both boxes and create the third box. Leaving the original box to create a new queen?

3) Should I move the boxes away from each other or leave them near each other?

4) Should I take a few frames from each box and create one or two nuc boxes? Letting the bees create new queens?

5) If I see more capped queen cells, should I take the cells off the frame and put them on other frames in the nucs?

thanks in advance. I've watched countless videos online and get more confused with which way to go each day.
    J
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by JohnnyB; 07-12-2017 at 08:52 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: How many splits from two strong deeps

Many variables here.

1. How new at beekeeping are you.

2. Are these your only hives?

3. Will you have more flows?

4. What is needed to get your bees to over winter?

These must all be considered since we have passed the summer solstice. If your new to bees, this is your only hive, have no more flows coming on and need them to over winter in two deeps, then don't split anymore.

You need to leave the queen cells in there to increase success rate of hatching. You could in theory make a queen castle but this will be beyond your scope of practice for a newbee.

Let them do their thing, get them ready for winter. Sock the feed to them. I dunno what socal is like...

Default Re: How many splits from two strong deeps

Quote Originally Posted by hex0rz View Post
    Many variables here.

1. How new at beekeeping are you.

2. Are these your only hives?

3. Will you have more flows?

4. What is needed to get your bees to over winter?

These must all be considered since we have passed the summer solstice. If your new to bees, this is your only hive, have no more flows coming on and need them to over winter in two deeps, then don't split anymore.

You need to leave the queen cells in there to increase success rate of hatching. You could in theory make a queen castle but this will be beyond your scope of practice for a newbee.

Let them do their thing, get them ready for winter. Sock the feed to them. I dunno what socal is like...

Thank you for your help and response.

1. I started with a Nuc in April of 2016. With the great rains we received in Southern California, my two deep hive increased in population dramatically this year starting around February.

2. Yes only hives and I split the two boxes and put a medium box with 10 wax covered, plastic frame foundations on each. I did not take any honey from the hives this season or last. I put the mediums on late, so they are not building those foundations out. I am thinking I should take the mediums off.

3. Things have died off here on the land, but there are many expensive homes in the neighborhood who have wonderful landscaping and there are flowers in their yards year round.

4. I really don't get extreme weather here in my area of Southern California. Maybe a few nights of mid 40's. but mostly in the 50's with a few months of mild rain. I fed my bees sugar water throughout the last winter and they did OK, but the colony wasn't nearly as big as they are going into fall and winter this year. Since I didn't take any honey, most frames have a 5" strip of honey on the top sections. Some are 3/4 full of honey.

5. On the split that I did, do I need to move the new box a specific distance from the original hive? Read some leave near and turn opposite direction and others move great distances for a few days.

thanks again, J