Nectar Flow Data Base

Default Nectar Flow Data Base

Is there a data base that illustrates nectar flow in various geographic areas for current and historical conditions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Default Re: Nectar Flow Data Base

that would be great!

In Canada the best source is government records but they are mostly available online only through quotes. http://capabees.org/content/uploads/...tar_plants.pdf For example. But I can use this info to pull records from my local archive.

Quote Originally Posted by ericweller View Post
    that's un-updated 100yr old data from HIve and the Honeybee.
    def not accurate for our area.

but how would you section off this? by area code? county? zone?
    Terrence

Quote Originally Posted by kaizen View Post
    but how would you section off this? by area code? county? zone?
    County or zip code would work well

I would love something comprehensive. We do have a Bloom Dates Forum, but it is rarely used and I am as guilty as everyone else not posting there. I wonder if it could be organized not only by state, but perhaps month too? I assume getting it down to zip codes would be too complex? Barry?
    J

I imagine that this data is tracked and available somewhere in the botanical world (maybe not honeybee nectar plants only, but certainly bloom dates for major flowering species in different locations). I just don't know where to look.

My understanding is that the Bloom Date sub-forum was originally intended to feed into a database. This was prior to me joining Beesource, but I did see (afterwards) a few posts in one of the early "Post your Bloom ..." threads, that there was a member that seemed to be working on a project to capture the data posted in the thread into a database with separate fields for each data component (a normalized database).

The best way to do that kind of thing is with a custom web form that enforces data integrity in each field (it validates the Zip code entered, etc, etc) to keep the data entered as clean as possible. However, the forum thread was not set up requiring data in a specific format, and "cleaning up" the data that was actually posted to feed into a database looked very difficult. Even with a clear data format specified in post #1 it didn't take long for the succeeding 'data' posts to spiral into GIGO. I suspect these issues led to the original database project ultimately being abandoned.

My opinion is that due to the custom form and database setup required, this would be difficult to do inside the Beesource structure. And doing it outside Beesource means that Beesource logins wouldn't be usable by the database project, which more or less means that this project would be entirely outside of Beesource.

So, a funding mechanism for an ongoing server/hosting would need to be found, plus knowledgeable person/people to set it up and maintain it, and deal with all the other issues that come with maintaining a public website these days.

Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Thanks Graham. Seeing how I have trouble figuring out how come my login doesn't work and discovering 15 minutes later that my caps lock is on, I don't think I am the man for this project. Where are those high school and college kids looking for a project?

This info is already being captured somewhere- we dont have to reinvent the wheel. Just a matter of locating the right database with the right tools. This looks promising: https://www.usanpn.org/home

I'd be happy to host a program that is designed to capture relevant data in a form that then gets dropped into a useful database for all. If someone wants to build it, I can host it. Contact me if you're interested.
    Regards, Barry

Consider matching growing degree days with nectar plant blooms. GDD are already calculated by both private and governmental agencies.
    I find using a base of 32*F helpful and it allows me to assign a GDD value to the early pollen sources like willow and maples.