Saskatraz....any feedback? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Saskatraz....any feedback?

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Nice to have low levels of mites. Just goes to show that OAV is deadly for varroa. Combine that with some isolation and the Saskatraz lines having some varroa resistance, a one or 2 time OAV year application and Bob's your uncle.

Jean-Marc
    It seems that everyone has an uncle Bob!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BeeSource.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the clarification.

So would it be better to get just a queen or chance the 3lb package ?

If they're getting queens from Canada then I'd think that the bee stocks should be from northern (Real Winter States) to be effective colonies like it's bred for.
    Looks like the testing was done in Canada. And likely bred in Cali. I've got to call them to find out what they do before trying these bees.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! http://www.greenanything.net/castle-...oney-farm.html

Did you ever get to talk to anyone?

Yes, ordered from Queen Right Colonies.
    The queens are from Canada and stock bees from Cali.
    Until the new queen lays/hatches eggs 3 weeks, then in business.
    Going to attempt queen rearing on them also along with my hygenics.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! http://www.greenanything.net/castle-...oney-farm.html

Any updates on the Saskatraz and how they are building up and overwintered?

Mine did fine. Didn't live any better, or die any worse than my mutt queened hives. They may be a little more docile than "my" bees. They are building up no faster, nor any slower than my mutts.

To be completely honest, if I didn't know which hive they were in, I would never know from looking in the hives. That is likely a great thing for people in my area. We don't have a long cold winter, but we do have a long hot dearth in the summer. We also have a relatively short, intesne spring flow. I suspect raising bees in my area is a whole lot like raising bees in Saskatchewan, except for the temperature. Our summer dearth would be similar to the SK winter regarding food supply. If the bees change gears and stop brood production based off of nectar and pollen flows instead of decreasing daylength, then they'll do good here. I have no clue yet as to their honey production, but I am happy that there may be a commerically available quality queen that fits in well in my area. Straight bred Italian bees do not do well here, for me anyway. When I've had those, if I didn't feed in late summer, they would starve out. They'd brood until they used everything up in the hive.
    The more I learn about bees, the less I know.

Talked to them about the queens and said it was -47 there. Back in February. Any survivors would make good genetics in my opinion. Too bad they’re sent to Cali to propagate. Would be nice to have bought bees from the northern states....

Although it has been a bit too cold to really check on the bees this year it appears our Saskatraz hive is doing very well. We have had a long winter here in Montana.
    4a

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123